Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I think 1303 must be female.  She's certainly temperamental...

I removed the bodywork just now.  Nothing appeared to be amiss under the skin.  All contacts look good, as do the pick-ups.  Gave the decoder a very gentle push down onto its socket.  Popped the naked (!) 1303 onto the tracks, and off she went, happily pootling about at walking pace if I asked her to, and making suitable chuff-chuff noises as well.  Hmm.

She did stutter over some of my cr@ppy pointwork, as I didn't have the nous to add frog juicers to all the turnouts.  A lesson for CR Mk II - take a lot more time over getting the track laid!  I may see if I can get a stay-alive inside 1303's bunker.

A bit late to do any more work on her this evening though.  Time permitting I'll see if I can get her tweaked tomorrow.  Fit some screw links, pop in a crew, and see about the stay-alive.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

56 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think 1303 must be female.  She's certainly temperamental...

I removed the bodywork just now.  Nothing appeared to be amiss under the skin.  All contacts look good, as do the pick-ups.  Gave the decoder a very gentle push down onto its socket.  Popped the naked (!) 1303 onto the tracks, and off she went, happily pootling about at walking pace if I asked her to, and making suitable chuff-chuff noises as well.  Hmm.

She did stutter over some of my cr@ppy pointwork, as I didn't have the nous to add frog juicers to all the turnouts.  A lesson for CR Mk II - take a lot more time over getting the track laid!  I may see if I can get a stay-alive inside 1303's bunker.

A bit late to do any more work on her this evening though.  Time permitting I'll see if I can get her tweaked tomorrow.  Fit some screw links, pop in a crew, and see about the stay-alive.

It may be as daft as the body pressing down on a connection causing an increased resistance rather than an actual short? Time for little bits of insulation tape perhaps?

Or even part of the mech catching slightly? I had this on a Bachmann Pannier where the body had been crammed back on causing some of the wiring to foul a wheel.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get the cab off 1303 today, without breaking anything (although the lever on the fireman's side needs straightening out).  This makes it much easier to fit the crew, and also means that I can get a stay-alive into the bunker.  With the cab in place I couldn't get the stay-alive in through the square hole in the footplate.  So hopefully I can fix it in there with some black tack and then run the wires under the cab to the decoder.  Time for a dry fit next to make sure the driver fits!

IMG20221019165736.jpg.b22edade9f672db4ad99137d0db5964f.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I managed to get the cab off 1303 today, without breaking anything (although the lever on the fireman's side needs straightening out).  This makes it much easier to fit the crew, and also means that I can get a stay-alive into the bunker.  With the cab in place I couldn't get the stay-alive in through the square hole in the footplate.  So hopefully I can fix it in there with some black tack and then run the wires under the cab to the decoder.  Time for a dry fit next to make sure the driver fits!

IMG20221019165736.jpg.b22edade9f672db4ad99137d0db5964f.jpg

Graham

Have you not noticed the huge spelling mistake down the side of the tanks? have you gone to the dark side?

Andy

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham

Have you not noticed the huge spelling mistake down the side of the tanks? have you gone to the dark side?

Andy

Sorry Andy, must confess that I do also have a bit of a liking for black locos...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Are those S300 pods on the rear of the footplate... if you get the code wrong you'll fire off something and definitely need the stay alive...

No problem John, they are the "special operation" inflatable dummy version.  There isn't a stay-alive on earth with enough voltage to make them go whoosh 🥸

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So 1303 has survived surgery, and now has a crew, screw link couplings, and a Kungfu stay-alive in the bunker.  I'm pleased to say that she runs nicely over my point-work now, although the stay-alive doesn't keep her running as long some of my other locos.  I think this may be because 1303 has an ESU decoder; John at Youchoos told me that they are very power hungry.  Some of my other locos have the same stay-alive on Zimo decoders and they'll happily run on for several seconds after cutting the power.

IMG20221020184513.jpg.1161185e417676d6178e2855c682a86f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

So 1303 has survived surgery, and now has a crew, screw link couplings, and a Kungfu stay-alive in the bunker.  I'm pleased to say that she runs nicely over my point-work now, although the stay-alive doesn't keep her running as long some of my other locos.  I think this may be because 1303 has an ESU decoder; John at Youchoos told me that they are very power hungry.  Some of my other locos have the same stay-alive on Zimo decoders and they'll happily run on for several seconds after cutting the power.

IMG20221020184513.jpg.1161185e417676d6178e2855c682a86f.jpg

I must confess it is a rather lovely loco and the crew look great - just needs some dirt spreading around!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I must confess it is a rather lovely loco and the crew look great - just needs some dirt spreading around!

Funny you should say that Andy ...

IMG20221020215310.jpg.170a5efa003eafc6dc82a4acf017662e.jpg

1159842533_Screenshot2022-10-20at22_19_16.png.380e2bf37fa39952166f7af2c0326720.png

Because here she is with the first stage of weathering done.  Just a little bit of frame dirt airbrushed over the running gear.  And then some painstaking clean-up of the tyres, backs of the wheels, and pick-ups with IPA and cotton buds!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Funny you should say that Andy ...

IMG20221020215310.jpg.170a5efa003eafc6dc82a4acf017662e.jpg

1159842533_Screenshot2022-10-20at22_19_16.png.380e2bf37fa39952166f7af2c0326720.png

Because here she is with the first stage of weathering done.  Just a little bit of frame dirt airbrushed over the running gear.  And then some painstaking clean-up of the tyres, backs of the wheels, and pick-ups with IPA and cotton buds!

I wish there was a more cunning way of doing the frames. Cleaning up the wheel backs, tyres etc is v tedious.

But clearly worth it.

Edited by Andy Keane

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I wish there was a more cunning way of doing the frames. Cleaning up the wheel backs, tyres etc is v tedious.

But clearly worth it.

It wasn't actually as bad as I expected.  I cleaned off what was visible with a cotton bud and IPA, then put the loco on the tracks.  Run it forward very slowly, then it stops when it's reached another dirty part of the tyre or wheel back.  Lift off track and clean whatever you can reach with the cotton bud, then repeat the process a few times, and Robert's your mother's brother 🙂

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Since I had the airbrush filled up, and I really dislike cleaning the thing after using it, I thought I might as well get my money's worth and treat a few other bits of rolling stock as well.  So I sprayed the underframes of three coaches and some wagons too.  I also did the underframes of these horseboxes.  They had received some weathering earlier; Mig dark wash on the bodies of both; the right hand one had its roof sprayed with Tamiya haze grey, and then a very restrained wash of dilute black acrylic.  I tried something different on the other roof.  Started off with quite a heavy dark acrylic wash, and then lots of weathering powder after the wash had dried.  Finished off with a squirt of matt varnish.  Not sure how it will look in daylight!

I'll also add just a smidgeon of rust powder and oily steel around the running gear, I think.

IMG20221020215500.jpg.4847401fe770dda941c350c3096d4aa9.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Really nice weathering Graham - and I very much like the roof colours being different - too easy to end up with them all the same which is one of the problems with RTR stuff out of the box IMO.

On airbrushes I too have a cheap Chinese setup but have invested in a decent compressor and also an extraction system to keep the air breathable (with a trunk to a hole in the wall). That is where I would invest any spare cash. the only issue I have with the brush itself is the O rings are starting to loose their shape a bit and it makes re-assembly a bit harder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Really nice weathering Graham - and I very much like the roof colours being different -.......

......the O rings are starting to loose their shape a bit and it makes re-assembly a bit harder. 

Yes that weathering is looking good.

Can you not get replacement O rings Andy?

I use a nice Iwata gravity feed airbrush - its my second - many years ago I had a cheap and cheerful one that I could never get to grips with. But this one, together with a Sparmax(?) compressor is very good. Or at least, I pleased with the results I get!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1