Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

I rather like the shed that @Brinklysupplied. It's quite a common size. I think that someone used to make the longer ones but I have had to make my own. 

Mike's Models used to do the platform shelter type as installed on the Wye valley in the late  1920s.

This is my scratchbuilt version which I think would be a good subject for a kit.

IMG_20210103_182146.jpg.e44eff72c4b80f9e85d00fbe4889d516.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

One of those Dart Castings lamp huts is pretty much a legal requirement for GWR layouts, it must be something over forty years old now, but it's a great little kit.

Here's mine lurking behind an equally antiquated loco purchase which you may bear some responsibility for. 😉

Turned out to be a worthwhile project though and it looks nothing like that now!

IMG_20220817_124023.jpg.f35842ce7ca8f2afb9170429113b6c21.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I rather like the shed that @Brinklysupplied. It's quite a common size. I think that someone used to make the longer ones but I have had to make my own. 

Mike's Models used to do the platform shelter type as installed on the Wye valley in the late  1920s.

This is my scratchbuilt version which I think would be a good subject for a kit.

We do have plans for the larger GWR sheds in the near future, but need the time to sit down and do it! I have the measurements and some prototypical pictures. Like the first hut, I want to get it as accurate as possible. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

@Brinkly does a very nice one (Dartmoor Model Supplies iirc),

Inspired by Chuffnell Regis I have just replaced two of my old Wills lamp huts with the Dartmoor Model Supplies GWR lamp huts.  Great little 3d printed models.  So a big thanks to @Brinkly and Matt for producing a great little detailed model.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One of those Dart Castings lamp huts is pretty much a legal requirement for GWR layouts, it must be something over forty years old now, but it's a great little kit.

Here's mine lurking behind an equally antiquated loco purchase which you may bear some responsibility for. 😉

Turned out to be a worthwhile project though and it looks nothing like that now!

IMG_20220817_124023.jpg.f35842ce7ca8f2afb9170429113b6c21.jpg

I think I have another one in a box somewhere.  Thinking about putting it near the turntable next to the DMS one.  They did seem to gather together in the real world.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Graham T said:

And here's the small one from Dart Castings - a lamp hut I believe.

image.png.4445ab666c04f0ac5f02263d5c3ff691.png

Hi Graham,

Sorry to be a KJ but if you still plan a William Clarke "Standard Building" for your station you will find that Lamps had their own dedicated room along with Stores at the end of the Station proper (see diagram on p271 of the BRJ article).

If so, the little one at platform end would be surplus to your requirements.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Count me envious because I don't have that kit and am unlikely to find one down here!

It's only a small kit so you'd hope the postage to Oz wouldn't be too extortionate - but I bet it is 😦

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Helston had a large corrugated garage with small office on the side. I am thinking of using one of the hut kits plus the Ratio carriage shed to bash one up.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I know the one that you are talking about, it's a proper shed, I could do with a full size one in the back yard here. I also have a carriage shed kit I picked up secondhand, it might just form the basis of the locomotive shed when I get around to building the terminus of my branch.

• RMweb Gold

The carriage shed kit looks really useful.  I'm considering a shed at Chuffnell Regis Mk II (I think @Harlequin's rather keen on the idea), but if I had one it would just be a single track version, something like the one at Wallingford (I think...)

Anybody know if such a beast exists in kit form?  Trying to scratch build that curved roof looks a bit tricky.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm back in the thick of it with work again today, but here's a couple of snaps of stuff I got done last night (in between cursing 1303, the blasted 1P 0-4-4!)

Not much to see really, some coal added to the store at the end of the goods shed, and to the supply for the fire devil.  I blackened the ladder and fixed it to the water tower as well.

IMG20221018161913.jpg.f49e73c9684685c0a75d998a09e99383.jpg

IMG20221018161925.jpg.eda1deabb851b4860bcb05ce608fd368.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

27 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm back in the thick of it with work again today, but here's a couple of snaps of stuff I got done last night (in between cursing 1303, the blasted 1P 0-4-4!)

Not much to see really, some coal added to the store at the end of the goods shed, and to the supply for the fire devil.  I blackened the ladder and fixed it to the water tower as well.

IMG20221018161913.jpg.f49e73c9684685c0a75d998a09e99383.jpg

IMG20221018161925.jpg.eda1deabb851b4860bcb05ce608fd368.jpg

I do like the goods shed Graham, lovely job.  Station building not quite as good 😄

Clive 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gopher said:

I do like the goods shed Graham, lovely job.  Station building not quite as good 😄

Clive 

The station building is lacking a certain je ne sais quoi, isn't it?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Graham, my 1P 1303 is the best engine I've got, what's the matter with yours?

When it's running it does so very nicely.  But I've had a couple of occasions now where, having been run the day before, the next day it cannot read the CV.  Very strange, as it's more or less a new loco.  Last time I fixed the problem by re-seating the decoder, but of course it's a pain having to take the loco apart!

• Friendly/supportive 1