Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I had a successful evening adding another pannier to the Chuffnell Regis stable.  Bachmann 7788 has been converted to DCC sound.  And very nice she sounds too.  There is really not much room inside the loco, so the decoder and wiring were squeezed into the gap between the motor and the smokebox, after removing the original PCB, and a stay-alive slotted into one of the panniers - the other side is filled with a weight.  The bunker is also filled with a weight, which means I've had to out the speaker in the cab.  A crew will pretty much hide it, but I might take out the bunker weight and put the speaker in there; I could perhaps add some smaller weights to the cab floor...

IMG20220917164827.jpg.002a7867e49b89761768227cbfb7c7c4.jpg

Anyway, here's the clan.  They all look a bit too clean and shiny I think?

IMG20220917224942.jpg.52ed3a1964854020286481c60e6a0b12.jpg

And 7788 still needs quite a bit of firtling to bring her up to scratch.  Some real coal, brass lamp irons, vacuum and steam pipes, screw couplings, smokebox dart, fire irons, crew, and number plates.  So just a few odds and ends!  I might attend to 3738 at the same time actually, as all I've done to her so far is add screw couplings.  And 2732 still needs her brake rodding, as soon as I can get hold of some brass strip.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Graham,

This is my install of sound on 5775, same model near enough with older generation ZIMO sound

2059175366_5775Zimoinstall.jpg.b6e7ee9281e215a8ee6139ee07df6dfc.jpg

starting from in front of motor you have in order:

speaker

middle: tantalum caps at bottom, ZIMO chip and on top the Stay alive control circuit

more tantalums at front

wires running back to the cab are for firebox glow.

It's a while ago now but AFAIR I removed the kit for the chip socket to get a totally bare front end. Avoids having to wire back to cab for the speaker.

It has more than enough stay alive storage as this video of slow shunting over a long curved insulfrog shows

5775 shunting

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Graham T said:

I had a successful evening adding another pannier to the Chuffnell Regis stable.  Bachmann 7788 has been converted to DCC sound.  And very nice she sounds too.  There is really not much room inside the loco, so the decoder and wiring were squeezed into the gap between the motor and the smokebox, after removing the original PCB, and a stay-alive slotted into one of the panniers - the other side is filled with a weight.  The bunker is also filled with a weight, which means I've had to out the speaker in the cab.  A crew will pretty much hide it, but I might take out the bunker weight and put the speaker in there; I could perhaps add some smaller weights to the cab floor...

IMG20220917164827.jpg.002a7867e49b89761768227cbfb7c7c4.jpg

Anyway, here's the clan.  They all look a bit too clean and shiny I think?

IMG20220917224942.jpg.52ed3a1964854020286481c60e6a0b12.jpg

And 7788 still needs quite a bit of firtling to bring her up to scratch.  Some real coal, brass lamp irons, vacuum and steam pipes, screw couplings, smokebox dart, fire irons, crew, and number plates.  So just a few odds and ends!  I might attend to 3738 at the same time actually, as all I've done to her so far is add screw couplings.  And 2732 still needs her brake rodding, as soon as I can get hold of some brass strip.

Thats going to be an interesting project / comparison of the locos Graham.

Will you be changing them from the post war GWR as well? Personally I would make them too dirty, locos pre war were very well looked after. Have a trawl through books like the Pannier papers for example locos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graham,

This is my install of sound on 5775, same model near enough with older generation ZIMO sound

2059175366_5775Zimoinstall.jpg.b6e7ee9281e215a8ee6139ee07df6dfc.jpg

starting from in front of motor you have in order:

speaker

middle: tantalum caps at bottom, ZIMO chip and on top the Stay alive control circuit

more tantalums at front

wires running back to the cab are for firebox glow.

It's a while ago now but AFAIR I removed the kit for the chip socket to get a totally bare front end. Avoids having to wire back to cab for the speaker.

It has more than enough stay alive storage as this video of slow shunting over a long curved insulfrog shows

5775 shunting

That's a very neat job Colin - I'm impressed.  It looks like you connected the grey/orange direct from the decoder to the motor?  Don't know why I didn't think to do that; I spliced the wires, which of course means another joint (and potential point of failure), more extra wire than necessary to pack in, and also more shrink wrap.  I may have to rectify that!

And firebox glow as well.  I assume you used some sort of LED for that?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thats going to be an interesting project / comparison of the locos Graham.

Will you be changing them from the post war GWR as well? Personally I would make them too dirty, locos pre war were very well looked after. Have a trawl through books like the Pannier papers for example locos.

I do want to sort out the livery, but need to check my understanding of the timeline.  If I have it right, a loco would be wearing the shirtbutton until at least 1942.  So, to then be repainted with GWR, I assume the loco would also get wartime black?  And green locos with GWR would only be seen when they had received a post-1945 repaint.  Does that sound right?

If I have got that straight, then both the Bachmann panniers will be getting shirtbuttons, and obviously some greenery for 3738!

As to cleanliness, yes I won't be weathering them much at all.  But want to take some of the shine off.  I'm planning to get the airbrush out of storage so that I can do the underframes.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I do want to sort out the livery, but need to check my understanding of the timeline.  If I have it right, a loco would be wearing the shirtbutton until at least 1942.  So, to then be repainted with GWR, I assume the loco would also get wartime black?  And green locos with GWR would only be seen when they had received a post-1945 repaint.  Does that sound right?

If I have got that straight, then both the Bachmann panniers will be getting shirtbuttons, and obviously some greenery for 3738!

Spot on, with some delay in repainting after those dates, of course.

2732 and 7788, which was built in 1930, could possibly still have the older "Great <space> Western" livery.

But not 3738 (built in 1937).

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

2732 and 7788, which was built in 1930, could possibly still have the older "Great <space> Western" livery.

Thanks for that Phil, really useful.  I must have a look at my transfers, and see if I have some Great <space> Western for 7788.  3738 will be going green with a shirtbutton.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

That's a very neat job Colin - I'm impressed.  It looks like you connected the grey/orange direct from the decoder to the motor?  Don't know why I didn't think to do that; I spliced the wires, which of course means another joint (and potential point of failure), more extra wire than necessary to pack in, and also more shrink wrap.  I may have to rectify that!

And firebox glow as well.  I assume you used some sort of LED for that?

Correct regarding the wiring. Some splicing is inevitable but I try to minimise it where possible. Also all my wiring uses DCC Concepts decoder wires to make fitting as simple as possible. Using even slightly heavier gauge or stiffer wire (or both) quickly restrict ease of fitting.

Orange LED with resistor to match the line voltage. I don't have the details with me here but I tend to err on the high side to cut back the brightness. The glow is a simple addition with the major challenge being to get the wires beyond the cab front plate. This can be a tight fit to the removed upper body. On the Bachmann 57xx AFAIR inserting the LED wires thru the cab front is not possible as the worm gear restricts the space completely, they go around the side. Of course this assumes that you don't need the cab for the speaker which would completely mask the effect.

With Youchoos chips the glow is linked to coal shoveling so that it gets its flicker, something in the presets linked to F3 and works as delivered so I've never taken much notice of the detailed working.

PS: your comment about the pannier tank weight only one side intrigues me. Its now 4 years since I did my fitting so details are rusty but I don't recall weights there. Further, it's odd to have the loco weighting being unsymmetrical as it could easily cause the loco to sit poorly on the tracks / affect running by leaning to one side. Might be worth exploring further and fixing up.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve finally caught up with this thread from start to finish. It’s been a cracking read and great to see it evolve from multiple iterations of the original plan to its current state.

What you’ve achieved in only eighteen months is seriously impressive, both in terms of having an almost fully scenic-ed layout and the level of realism you’ve achieved.

I’ll be following the future progress of CR with interest; yet another GWR thread and it’s not even my railway!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Correct regarding the wiring. Some splicing is inevitable but I try to minimise it where possible. Also all my wiring uses DCC Concepts decoder wires to make fitting as simple as possible. Using even slightly heavier gauge or stiffer wire (or both) quickly restrict ease of fitting.

Orange LED with resistor to match the line voltage. I don't have the details with me here but I tend to err on the high side to cut back the brightness. The glow is a simple addition with the major challenge being to get the wires beyond the cab front plate. This can be a tight fit to the removed upper body. On the Bachmann 57xx AFAIR inserting the LED wires thru the cab front is not possible as the worm gear restricts the space completely, they go around the side. Of course this assumes that you don't need the cab for the speaker which would completely mask the effect.

With Youchoos chips the glow is linked to coal shoveling so that it gets its flicker, something in the presets linked to F3 and works as delivered so I've never taken much notice of the detailed working.

PS: your comment about the pannier tank weight only one side intrigues me. Its now 4 years since I did my fitting so details are rusty but I don't recall weights there. Further, it's odd to have the loco weighting being unsymmetrical as it could easily cause the loco to sit poorly on the tracks / affect running by leaning to one side. Might be worth exploring further and fixing up.

Thanks for the explanation Colin.  The weight in one tank only doesn't seem to upset the running at all (although to be fair it would be hard to tell with some of my wonky trackwork).  But I do think I'll look at shifting the speaker into the bunker.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I’ve finally caught up with this thread from start to finish. It’s been a cracking read and great to see it evolve from multiple iterations of the original plan to its current state.

What you’ve achieved in only eighteen months is seriously impressive, both in terms of having an almost fully scenic-ed layout and the level of realism you’ve achieved.

I’ll be following the future progress of CR with interest; yet another GWR thread and it’s not even my railway!

Thanks very much Tortuga, glad you're enjoying it.  Shows what a combination of lockdown and not having much of a social life can lead to I suppose!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Graham T said:

As to cleanliness, yes I won't be weathering them much at all.  But want to take some of the shine off.  I'm planning to get the airbrush out of storage so that I can do the underframes.

Morning Graham, sorry to be late to the party….. Yesterday was the Annual tapas run in the neighbouring town of San Miguel de Salinas….. €3 for a small lager and a Tapas (no running involved!) 

The whole town turns out, with bands going through the streets, the majority of the bars taking part, it’s part of the Fiesta. We all had great fun.

20 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Thankfully Phil has answered for you…. Out of a fleet of Panniers, it’s quite nice to strike the difference with one Great <space> Western…. 

At Henley-on-Thames, that’s the one I have weathered, as it’s due for it’s service!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've made a little more progress with 7788 (who will be changing identity to 5705, now that the cast plates have arrived from Narrow Planet).  The speaker has been moved into the bunker; removing the weight from there doesn't seem to have affected the running at all.  Some real coal has been added, screw link couplings, a fire iron and bucket, and the rear vac pipe has been replaced (the factory fitted one has disappeared at some point).

I still need to add steam pipes, lamp irons, and a smokebox dart.  Crew will have to wait for the postal service...

IMG20220920103921.jpg.09fc03fb1a7a1c24e4faa056256d0445.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Most of the firtling on 7788 5705 is now done.  I still have to add the smokebox dart, decals, and tidy up the paint.  The GWR stubbornly resisted IPA, so I had to resort to a fibreglass pencil.  Buffer beams have had a splash of Vallejo vermilion.

IMG20220920164755.jpg.c967b52df39c3b07046ee2e5b6bcf987.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, longchap said:

Nice gold dart up front. Are you going to remove the top feed?

Thanks ref the dart.

Ref the top feed - I was hoping no-one would ask about those!  All I really know about panniers and top feeds is that lots of modellers remove them, so I assume they were added later in the life of the locos.  But then, what I know about railways would make for a very short book!  I think that, for now, I'll leave it in place...  And double away smartly to do some research.

It also transpires that I don't have any transfers for the panniers - quel surprise - and so have just ordered some from Fox.  I do have some buffer beam numbers though, so can at least get those done.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Much later in life: 1942.

Wikipedia says "a new type of top feed was introduced" in 1942, implying there was a previous type in use on 57xx Panniers. However, from discussions I've seen I don't think they had top feeds at all before this date - they had "back feeds" instead. Edit: Actually, maybe a few did have a smaller topfeed blister than the one on your model - it's a minefield!

The fact that these models always have top feeds and that modellers have to remove them to get back to Pre-1942 condition was one of the main drivers behind the Poll for a new RTR Pannier tank, recently. It's a pain in the a**e neck!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1