Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

I can't take all the credit, the body was drawn up and printed by Chris @chuffinghellto fit a machined down later model Hornby Jinty chassis rather than the completely remade Bachmann chassis he had built. It was an engineering and design project that came out of conversation around an old RM article on converting a Triang loco and the lack of any RTR locos that represent absorbed engines. Plus an 0-4-4T is not a common thing in the GWR!

The rear wheels were swapped to the centre axle to get rid of the traction tyres and eight wheel pickups were fitted for reliable running.

There's a full narrative and pictures on both the Warren Branch and Aston on Clun threads covering both variants.

We've both ended up with an unusual model that rule #1 states was pensioned off to a back of beyond branch line and survived another fifteen years or so rather than ending up in Swindon dump in 1930.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Transfers needed too. When I can find them!

IMG_20220724_191107.jpg.bb1a8c922eec4c6c13a846d42492cd9a.jpg

Always a delight to see something a bit out of the ordinary.  It's just oozing with that old style British ingenuity and charm!

I'm not at all familier with any engine types absorbed into the GWR from it's lesser known constituents, can you please enlighten me as to the provenance of  number23? Also a link to your thread please Wolfie?? 

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Questions Questions!!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit of late night and early morning tinkering, titivation, and firtling has been going on.  I fitted the steam pipes; the packet said that they are vacuum pipes, but I can't tell the difference!  I'm sure there are people out there who could tell me that I've fitted the wrong thing, but - Rule 1 🙂

I mentioned the seam on the chimney before.  It's not noticeable IRL so I'm leaving it alone!

IMG20220812093358.jpg.91d4178fe237aaf64eb9aaddd9416e36.jpg

Also, one of these handles on the tender had broken.  I knew that if I glued it back on it was just likely to get knocked off again at some point, so I replaced both of them with some .5mm wire.  Can some kind soul tell me what they are please?

IMG20220812093330.jpg.ab05f8e0650ba2234d1c154232d3b31e.jpg

IMG20220812101642.jpg.c75d62ae6a0fb47a2616b82739e6fec0.jpg

Note the spooky headless fireman in the second pic!  You didn't know 3205 was haunted did you?

(It's actually just that he's looking down at something so you're seeing the top of his cap.  You can come out from behind the sofa now).

And the last task was to pop on some Railtec transfers.  These need some time to set now (any recommends on how long?) before a coat of matt varnish.

IMG20220812104456.jpg.2ef1efc5cb73ba2bc9ccd73b1c38febe.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Always a delight to see something a bit out of the ordinary.  It's just oozing with that old style British ingenuity and charm!

I'm not at all familier with any engine types absorbed into the GWR from it's lesser known constituents, can you please enlighten me as to the provenance of  number23? Also a link to your thread please Wolfie?? 

Regards Shaun.

Sorry about the thread hog Graham, but here's a link to the unveiling of the model.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Can some kind soul tell me what they are please?

IMG20220812101642.jpg.c75d62ae6a0fb47a2616b82739e6fec0.jpg

I went and looked it because I didn't know either: I believe one is a brake handle, and the other the water pick-up handle.

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Do you need spectacle plates for the cab?  I've got a sheet of etched brass ones and might have some that fit the bill.

I bought a set of those after you posted about detailing the old Hornby 2721. The cab front is a bit unusual on the Beyer Peacock, we fitted grilles to the rear windows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I fitted the steam pipes; the packet said that they are vacuum pipes, but I can't tell the difference!  I'm sure there are people out there who could tell me that I've fitted the wrong thing, but - Rule 1 🙂

IMG20220812093358.jpg.91d4178fe237aaf64eb9aaddd9416e36.jpg

Looks close enough to me! The basic difference is that steam pipes have a small tap at the top to close them, and are usually held out of the way with a chain up under the buffer; wheras Vac pipes are both closed off and held in place with the 'dummy', hence why the loose end always appears to be attached to something. I think the ends are slightly different too, so that you can't mix them up. Otherwise the pipes are similar - wheras air pipes are smaller diameter, have a different end, and also have a tap.

There's a real knack to connecting vac pipes - I've tried it a couple of times and haven't figured it out!

Edited by Nick C
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Re: Transfers drying time.

I would normally wait until the transfers have cured overnight..... did you apply them onto a gloss area of paint first? Its generally considered best practice to get them to fix securely and then spray with matt varnish.

Good luck.

PS: Re: the headless loco man - I too dropped a Modelu fireman, who's head "pinged" off somewhere! He is still sat at the side of the workbench, in case said head appears! 😃

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Re: Transfers drying time.

I would normally wait until the transfers have cured overnight..... did you apply them onto a gloss area of paint first? Its generally considered best practice to get them to fix securely and then spray with matt varnish.

Thanks Neal.  I'd better have a look on amazon for a big bag of patience then - I seem to be running out of it again!  And yes, I put a little gloss varnish down where the transfers were going.

7 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Good luck.

PS: Re: the headless loco man - I too dropped a Modelu fireman, who's head "pinged" off somewhere! He is still sat at the side of the workbench, in case said head appears! 😃

I'm a bit better off here, my chap still has his head attached to his shoulders 🙂

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

I raise you a leg @MrWolf and give you a flock of grazing sheep who no longer have their heads munching grass 🐏 but have turned into train spotting sheep. Take one sharp knife etc

Photos from 2010 of my Mk1 layout scratch built cattle dock with my impression of New Romney (ie Southern Railway) sheep (other breeds of sheep are available to suit GWR areas).

I think some of the sheep are a bit too un-white though. 

530721600_100807layout9.JPG.56b772e60c647dc4541dc2c94b887502.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG.5236bf2cb7d6b1424c982b6b327f37ee.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

I raise you a leg @MrWolf and give you a flock of grazing sheep who no longer have their heads munching grass 🐏 but have turned into train spotting sheep. Take one sharp knife etc

Photos from 2010 of my Mk1 layout scratch built cattle dock with my impression of New Romney (ie Southern Railway) sheep (other breeds of sheep are available to suit GWR areas).

530721600_100807layout9.JPG.56b772e60c647dc4541dc2c94b887502.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG.5236bf2cb7d6b1424c982b6b327f37ee.JPG

Nice - have you seen how the GWR disinfected cattle trucks? they ended up essentially white to at least waist height with lime powder!

14 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Hi,

when I worked in the butchery trade the only white sheep ever seen were those that had been shampooed before being shown, and even then they weren't pure white.  Sheep come in a variety of hues and tones ranging from off-white to a creamy yellow through to various shade of grey, depending on the breed and where they are kept.   If anything, most modellers depict sheep as been far too clean, especially if they come from rough pasture and the weather has been a bit inclement!  And their fleeces can harbour all sorts of other plant material, such as thistle stems, just waiting for some unwary person to grab them!  

Roja

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

when I worked in the butchery trade the only white sheep ever seen were those that had been shampooed before being shown, and even then they weren't pure white.  Sheep come in a variety of hues and tones ranging from off-white to a creamy yellow through to various shade of grey, depending on the breed and where they are kept.   If anything, most modellers depict sheep as been far too clean, especially if they come from rough pasture and the weather has been a bit inclement!  And their fleeces can harbour all sorts of other plant material, such as thistle stems, just waiting for some unwary person to grab them!  

Roja

Not to mention the black sheep, of course.  If you don't know who that is in your family - then it's probably you!

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Nice - have you seen how the GWR disinfected cattle trucks? they ended up essentially white to at least waist height with lime powder!

Andy, you've opened a can of worms there - stand by for a discussion of when GWR stopped using lime on cattle trucks 🙂

Speaking of which, I've been wondering what to do this evening whilst trying to be patient and not varnish 3205's tender...  Pottering about with a mixed herd of Bachmann and Dapol cattle trucks is climbing towards the top of the list.  The Bachmann ones are very nice, but spotlessly clean.  The Dapol variants are far less nice, and need some work to bring them up to scratch.  Also, a couple them are "pre-weathered", which looks pretty abysmal in my humble opinion.  And they all need couplings.  I see a busy evening ahead!

• Friendly/supportive 1