Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

You also have the option to use the pre-1934 “Great Western” insignia. That still appeared long after the roundel was introduced.

I’ve been reading the book on the GWS Saint class loco Lady of Legend and it seems some tender locos didn’t receive the shirtbutton at all. Going straight from Great Western to post war GWR. 

Obviously I was surprised to read that…. Presumably that meant the tender wasn’t painted in the period 1934 until after the war…

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Graham T said:

Getting the shrink wrap to shrink was a pain, I need a better solution for that, so if anyone has any top tips they'd be most welcome! 

I use the edge of the soldering iron (very carefully), but works every time

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I changed a Dukedog tender over recently and put a central crest in as removing the W left a mark I wanted to hide. I think that's allowed though not common.

20220729_085458.jpg.be828bf86ec39dea24e914e786379df6.jpg

If in doubt, sprinkle it with a generous helping of Rule 1 Andy!

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Hair dryer.

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

I use the edge of the soldering iron (very carefully), but works every time

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I have a hot air gun that was sold for stripping paint and that also works on the shrink very nicely.

Thanks chaps for all the suggestions.  I tried Monsieur V's hair dryer idea, but couldn't seem to get a concentrated enough heat source.  Also had a stab with the soldering iron, but found you need to get really close to the shrink wrap, and I don't want to risk screwing up the tip of the iron...

So I think Andy has the winning suggestion.  I might just get a cheap and cheerful one from that big river.  @Andy Keane, any suggestions for a brand?  I'm thinking cheap is fine provided it has good reviews.  Do you think adjustable heat setting is required?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks chaps for all the suggestions.  I tried Monsieur V's hair dryer idea, but couldn't seem to get a concentrated enough heat source.  Also had a stab with the soldering iron, but found you need to get really close to the shrink wrap, and I don't want to risk screwing up the tip of the iron...

So I think Andy has the winning suggestion.  I might just get a cheap and cheerful one from that big river.  @Andy Keane, any suggestions for a brand?  I'm thinking cheap is fine provided it has good reviews.  Do you think adjustable heat setting is required?

Mine is a Black and Deckker HG992 heat gun that came with some nozzles that are very helpful. I have had it around 25 years and it just works. It has two heat settings which is also useful. Also it has a stand so you can set it running and then simply pass the wire and shrink into the heat.

Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165607076312?hash=item268ef371d8:g:yMQAAOSwFUti6PD2

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Interesting. I've been looking at something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144103458028  A bit less fierce (300W vs 1200W). Not yet purchased one, but if anyone has, I've be interested to hear how they got on.

That's more like what I've been considering too - I don't think I need fierce!

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's more like what I've been considering too - I don't think I need fierce!

The thing about fierce is it is way quicker to use. You don't actually ever get it fully hot - you turn it on and then wipe it over the wires and it is enough quite quickly. Even then I find I use the full heat setting and not the half heat. I think a 300W item is its actually much less power than a hair-drier so I doubt it would actually do what you want.

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

A hair dryer typically has a rather wide nozzle, whereas that little thing looks to produce a much narrower, concentrated airflow, though.

I think that's a key point; using a hair dryer I found the heat was too dissipated.

Some hair dryers have concentrator nozzles, although I haven't found that necessary. Mine is 2000W.

Edited by aardvark
Perhaps I should have said that Mrs Aardvark's hairdryer is 2000W.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, aardvark said:

Some hair dryers have concentrator nozzles, although I haven't found that necessary. Mine is 2000W.

Does it have woofers and tweeters?

• RMweb Gold

Veering back to the Collett Goods for a moment, she now has screw links, a fall plate, and - wait for it ...

... even a crew!  Still only got a moulded on smokebox dart though.

IMG20220808144814.jpg.c71dd878b03c535577413b5dea3f7316.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I spy another loco in the background with that pesky GWR livery.  The small Prairie has it too.  Maybe I'll shift my time period.  Or perhaps just invoke Rule 1 for now 🙂

• Friendly/supportive 2