Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

As squeezing things into tight spaces seems to be a bit of a theme here at the moment, does anyone have a top tip for how to get a crew onto the footplate of the Prairie?  The cab roof is determined not to part company with the bodywork, unfortunately...

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

As squeezing things into tight spaces seems to be a bit of a theme here at the moment, does anyone have a top tip for how to get a crew onto the footplate of the Prairie?  The cab roof is determined not to part company with the bodywork, unfortunately...

You had the cab separated from the footplate once before...:

BTW: Are you going to remove the suppression circuit (the capacitors and inductors)? I'm pondering doing that on my new small Prairie because it does seem a bit "lumpy" in its running. It's the inductors on the DCC socket carrier board that I'm not sure about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

image.png.63038d16c2bda9493b526400170f5842.png

I should have thought about that earlier, shouldn't I?

I didn't remove the capacitors from on top of the motor; thought I'd see how it runs with them on, before resorting to that particular bit of hackery surgery.  It seems to run fine, so I'll leave them on I think, unless it's a bad idea?

Edited by Graham T
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2022 at 17:13, Graham T said:

If you cant get the cab apart I have resorted to a big dob of 5 minute epoxy on the crewman's feet and sometimes elbows then insert over the cab door and prop him up in the right place and wait!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

If you cant get the cab apart I have resorted to a big dob of 5 minute epoxy on the crewman's feet and sometimes elbows then insert over the cab door and prop him up in the right place and wait!

That would do the trick, but as @Harlequin pointed out, I've already had the loco apart, so I should really do it properly and separate the body from the running gear again.

I just don't fancy trying to cram everything back inside again after...

Still, I can put it off until I've finished painting the crew 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Can you small 'orses?  A special mystery Chuffnell Regis prize if you can name the film 🙂

4550 now has screw links, steam pipes, and a lamp.  But no crew yet, so still looking a touch Marie Celeste...

The rather nice Hornby horsebox has also acquired screw links and vac pipes.  Cutting slots for the couplings was a pain, so the other box can wait until tomorrow!

IMG20220803173650.jpg.df6ede180a2c018afbfc958f27e9fedf.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2022 at 07:12, MrWolf said:

If you do want the shed to look ramshackle, level it up from left to right, but lean it back into the hedge a little, which is what seems to happen in real life. I suspect that it's because the hedge tends to draw the water out of the ground behind the building, someone else may well correct me.

That depends on which side of the fence the gophers, moles and rats started digging. Don't get a Jack Russel Terrier either they'll only make things worse!  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Party, Party.

You win the mystery prize!  It's so mysterious that even I don't know what it is yet...

What a cracking film 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I chose a crew that will squeeze in through the opening and use tacky glue on their feet!

Lots of the images of the real thing show the cab doors either open or missing, just might make a change to see that on a model and should help ease 1/76 GWR human resources. Just a thought.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I do rather like that idea Shaun, and had actually pondered hacking one of the doors out.

Seeing as we're (sort of) on films at the moment, I will use a razor saw rather than explosives.  I don't want to blow them off now, do I?

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

That depends on which side of the fence the gophers, moles and rats started digging. Don't get a Jack Russel Terrier either they'll only make things worse!  

These really dislike rats, and in trying to get at them will dig a dustbin sized hole for the unwary to fail into, I think you can guess how I know that.

99cd18195072a1da549582261c2104e5.jpg.3a6dfb1baae53ea891ca3cc230207799.jpg

The best cure for rat infestation I've found involves an old vacuum cleaner hose and a motorcycle, it's a lot quicker than rat poison.

• Like 7

It's a Hovawart, from the old German meaning "farmyard watcher" that's a pic from Wikipedia, below is the actual digger of holes when he was about nine months old. The stick at his feet is a bit of 4x2!

Sorry about the OT, but the background is a good example of unkempt lawn!

IMG_20210310_011049.jpg.8aad8e54a61ddffe4546252aefdc95aa.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The best cure for rat infestation I've found involves an old vacuum cleaner hose and a motorcycle

They run up the vacuum cleaner hose and ride off on the motorcycle?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Skippy peanut butter and a few good ol' fashioned rat traps! 

As for gophers I have discovered that enticing yellow jackets into their labyrinths is the natural way to cope with them...

...but then you'll need the vacuum and a motorbike to catch the wasps and get otta'the way fast!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1