Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

A light dusting of snow fell at Chuffnell Regis this morning (don't we wish!)  The warm weather has some plus points of course - I'm hoping that the polyfilla will dry pretty quickly so that I can slap some paint on it and start playing with the static grass again.

IMG20220721123459.jpg.a74894939b9a85b0c73087cdb9ba4f34.jpg

IMG20220721123511.jpg.2b50d0f850ee2dd677e1bf4fcc5a229a.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mainly I use a Pro Grass Applicator from War World Scenics.  I also have one of their Pro Grass Precision Applicators, but don't get on with that one so well, to be honest.  I'm still scratching my head a bit about how to get small patches of grass into those hard to reach areas...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Mainly I use a Pro Grass Applicator from War World Scenics.  I also have one of their Pro Grass Precision Applicators, but don't get on with that one so well, to be honest.  I'm still scratching my head a bit about how to get small patches of grass into those hard to reach areas...

Graham I use a puffer bottle for the small hard to reach areas.  I also have the WWS Pro grass detailer, which is very good but can't quite reach all parts.  When I use the puffer bottle, I then use a hand held vacuum to help the fibres stand up on end, and occasionally a small paint brush to tease them up if the puffer bottle has not done the job.     

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Graham I use a puffer bottle for the small hard to reach areas.  I also have the WWS Pro grass detailer, which is very good but can't quite reach all parts.  When I use the puffer bottle, I then use a hand held vacuum to help the fibres stand up on end, and occasionally a small paint brush to tease them up if the puffer bottle has not done the job.     

Thanks Clive that's handy to know.  Will have to order myself one!

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Clive that's handy to know.  Will have to order myself one!

The puffer is good as noted. What you can do is run a small electrostatic device over afterwards to get the fibres standing up more than you might initially get. This works well when using PVA, however not sure if you're using non-aqueous (non-conducting) adhesive. 

If you're applying the fibres thru the electrostatic device to small areas then the head can be a lot smaller. I have a home made device for my small areas, made from a tea strainer and a fly "zapper". It still supplies a handy 6KV or so and the support on the end will get up near the edges if you invert it. I think it cost me all of $A8 (~£4) for the bits.

Grassinator.jpg.dc1ea3e58ea08183cb17fc007311a959.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

The puffer is good as noted. What you can do is run a small electrostatic device over afterwards to get the fibres standing up more than you might initially get. This works well when using PVA, however not sure if you're using non-aqueous (non-conducting) adhesive. 

If you're applying the fibres thru the electrostatic device to small areas then the head can be a lot smaller. I have a home made device for my small areas, made from a tea strainer and a fly "zapper". It still supplies a handy 6KV or so and the support on the end will get up near the edges if you invert it. I think it cost me all of $A8 (~£4) for the bits.

Grassinator.jpg.dc1ea3e58ea08183cb17fc007311a959.jpg

Also useful for dealing with unwanted intruders!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Also useful for dealing with unwanted intruders!

A cricket bat would be similarly useful, but not quite so good for applying static grass with...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Lots of brown has been followed up with equally copious amounts of green.  Hedges will run along each end of the cottage property, and then follow along the footpath to form the railway boundary.

I was going to have a run of fencing separating the two gardens, but am now tempted to have another strip of hedge - this one a bit tidier than all the others though.  The right hand garden will have a chicken coop and a selection of hens scratching around; perhaps some flowering bushes, but no vegetable plot, I think.  From what I read hens and vegetables don't mix - the hens usually win.  I don't fancy trying to replicate a chicken run, I can't see how I could model 4mm scale chicken wire convincingly!  The left hand garden will however mostly be given over to vegetables, so most of the grass you see there at the moment will be coming back out again 🙂  It's easier to scrape it back off when I've decided where the various veg will go than it is to mask everything off.  And I'm lazy...

Which reminds me of a joke.

Describe yourself in three words.

Lazy.

IMG20220722155054.jpg.532704ae174e47bb8fe9cdbe06ec89fe.jpg

IMG20220722155148.jpg.2332de6ee1ea59f18ffcc107f261b9f6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

And here's the recipe for the next step(s).  Hopefully not a recipe for disaster...

I need to repaint the road as well, now that it's got dilute polyfilla all over it.  And those Toads seem to be breeding...

IMG20220722163202.jpg.a856954aae8a9057cf8dccfafc7ba61f.jpg

• Like 5

The house has really blended into the scene now, just by application of the grass, it actually looks smaller and doesn't overpower the surroundings, something that I have been concerned about with the larger buildings on my own layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd considered building it in HO but am glad now that I didn't.  Hope to make some progress with the gardens today, but need to build some ramshackle wriggly tin first.

I'm also wondering how to finish off the lower end of the plots, as they're on a slope; not quite sure what to fill them up with...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'd considered building it in HO but am glad now that I didn't.  Hope to make some progress with the gardens today, but need to build some ramshackle wriggly tin first.

I'm also wondering how to finish off the lower end of the plots, as they're on a slope; not quite sure what to fill them up with...

Seven strand fence on the railway side with a mixture of hedging, timber sheets and wriggly tin propped against it all done in the best possible taste….!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It might be worth adding a little more green, but just around one corner rather than an even distribution, I find that more convincing.

Afraid I already did the deed Mr W!

IMG20220723164146.jpg.0b227c87d45da66c5efd1ce5cc85f6c6.jpg

Not fixed down yet, but getting there slowly.  I'm trying hard to resist the temptation to make a puerile joke about the black chicken...

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2