Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

43 minutes ago, Graham T said:

"A subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence"

Name the TV programme?

Vyvian Barsterd, The Young Ones. Been watching again recently as Miss R had never seen it. I thought she was going to laugh herself to death.

Ryk: Vyvian! Where did you get that howitzer?

Vyv: Found it!

I was then asked if I was Vyvian's secret love child...🙄

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to find what was making the autocoach derail on that one particular point.  The split pin securing the coupling hook under the coach floor had rotated, and so it was fouling the bogie.  A dab of black tack fixed it in place, and no more de-railing 🙂

But - the coach handrails next to the passenger steps are still snagging the edge of the bay platform.  I think I'll add an extra link to the coupling on the non-driving end of the autocoach and see if that cures the problem.  A bit later on I will also need to test the bay with my other coaches I guess, once I've fitted them with screw links.

Still, at least one step forward!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the extra link didn't work, the passenger steps still snagged the platform edge.  In fact, adding a link introduced a new problem - buffer lock when pushing the coach out of the station.  So it looks like I'll have to trim the platform edge a tad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had one of those all too rare evenings where a few minutes of pottering produced some good results.  I've fitted screw links to the outer ends of the B set (I've kept Hornby's rather neat close coupling arrangement between the two coaches), and also trimmed the offending stretches of the bay platform.  It only needed the barest sliver of plastic shaving off a few of the edging stones, less than a mil, and now the autocoach happily slips into the platform like a ...  

Well I'll leave the last few words to your imagination I think!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Really enjoyed that, thanks 🙂

See what you mean about the track too!

Dang: I didn't see it because either I'm stupid, ignorant, or because I have ski-jumps on my own layout and consider them perfectly acceptable.

Please, can someone point it out?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Dang: I didn't see it because either I'm stupid, ignorant, or because I have ski-jumps on my own layout and consider them perfectly acceptable.

Please, can someone point it out?

There's a couple of shudders from the loco going around a long left hand curve, and a big dip along the platform.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've been getting my @rse well and truly kicked by work again today ☹️

But did manage to slope off for a few minutes to get the road laid.  It's not glued down to the lift-out section that the cottages sit on, but everything else had been nailed down with Roket card glue.  I couldn't get a strip of card long enough to avoid some joints, so have cut them on a diagonal and then also covered them with a strip of masking tape.  The surface will get a coating of Tamiya grit later, the same stuff that I used for the platform, so I'm hoping that will conceal all the bodgery...

IMG20220713183851.thumb.jpg.77b0b993458e114f128b9fa7dcc1a913.jpg

IMG20220713183901.thumb.jpg.89ab737bdeac63241f2a3bd2bacb81e2.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Feels like something of an anticlimax now!  The grit has dried overnight and looks ok I think.  The joint you can see just ahead of the autocoach (which really needs some people in it) is less noticeable in real life.  And of course the edges will be covered by fairly rough grass verges.  So I'll give it a coat or two of light-ish grey/brown and see how I feel about it then.

IMG20220714110808.thumb.jpg.ca4ea418df96b8435e09db1aca52c1ce.jpg

Where I do need to do some serious thinking is with the joins between the end of the platform, the station forecourt, and the new road.  There would be fencing and so on, and a gate controlling access into the goods yard, so I can use those to cover some of the joins.  Any suggestions on where fences should be, and what they should be made of, would be welcome.  I think some of it would be wooden, but I'd also like to use some of the cast iron spear tip fencing that the real station at Rowden Mill has.

IMG20220714110824.thumb.jpg.7d0a1f550ab379d9505f472037ac07c6.jpg

I might draw up a sketch plan of the station building, pagoda hut, end loading bay, and so forth.  I think that might help with figuring out all the various locations.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Not sure you would get wooden and spear together very often? I would have thought one or the other then moving to post and wire once away from the main buildings - but obviously somebody must be able to find a place where they did get used at the same time.

Regarding gate and fence positions I can suggest two sources: first the online 1905 OS large scale maps at the national library for Scotland - these show baondary and gate positions. Slower but perhaps better is the three volume set of books by Clark "An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations" which contains dozens of station plans - these can be had second hand on ebay.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, you're probably right about mixing the types, but as you also mention - PFE!

I will have a browse through my reference books later and see if I can come up with some ideas/solutions.  There's plenty of time anyway, as I need to get the cottages bedded in first.  I don't even want to think about making the station building just yet!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Road now painted.  I think I can probably live with the joins, we'll see...

The eagle-eyed might notice that 2732 has been promoted to passenger duties!  Only temporary though, until I can get a decoder fitted to my small Prairie.

IMG20220714170540.thumb.jpg.3e9d50c6179df579d3c82fe726140bf6.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, KNP said:

Paint the joints a different shade to make it look like road repairs....!

Done that trick many a time.

That's a sneaky idea Kevin - I like it 🙂

I was also thinking about strategically placing trees and bushes to make it harder to see the joins as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been pondering how the platform meets the station building meets the road. In my case I plan to use a common surface for the lot, then build up the platform by 1mm of flagstone embossed plasticard and thus generate the roadside curb where it ends and then finally plant the station on the top. All built away from the boards for easy of painting etc. I guess there are no certain ways to do these things.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 3