Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

Do you have a filter/ water trap on your compressor just before the offtake for the hose? Or a drain plug in your tank? If so it may need emptying and cleaning as that looks like water vapour in the air supply. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Slightly closer when you used the gun perhaps?

That's the only thing I could think of, yes...  Anyway, repair work continues.  As seems to be the norm with Chuffnell R, it's one step forward followed swiftly be a few in the opposite direction!

Edited by Graham T
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to salvage the paintwork, I think.  The varnish sprayers have been taken around the back of the engine shed and shot 😀

For something a little more soothing on the nerves I decided to start fitting three-links to the wagons...  This has actually been surprisingly straightforward, so far.  The hooks are a bit over-scale I imagine, they're certainly bigger than the ones that Hornby had fitted.  I did try drilling the original hooks to accept the links, but there just wasn't enough plastic to work with, so they had to be removed and then a slot cut for the Smiths hook.  There isn't enough space under the chassis for the full assembly with spring and split-pin, so the hook has been shortened and then just glued into place.

IMG20220704121857.thumb.jpg.928ed405b350f954ad055d7644fc217f.jpg

IMG20220704121834.thumb.jpg.30aa42c9d69e2462a12df57543cdabe9.jpg

• Like 10

You've had the varnish sprayers taken round the back of the shed and shot?

Wow, everyone's thread seems to be getting a bit fiery this afternoon!

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Funny 2

If ever you feel that you're not getting anywhere with the layout, go back and look at the third picture. It's genuinely inspiring.

As for couplings, I use a plastic tray about A3 size with sides about 50mm deep to work on / in whilst dealing with fiddly little #####s like couplings and bearings. I don't know what it started life as, Miss R found it somewhere and dubbed it the Ping Tray.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.  I must say, the Wolf/RRH combo does come up with some lovely turns of phrase.  First the Profanium, and now the Ping Tray - love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Psychologists have a number of theories around invented language and words, which do actually dovetail with our, er... quirks.

We've come up with all sorts of downhome words and phrases, a good number of which probably wouldn't make sense in isolation or out of context, then there's others which are probably best not repeated in public!

One of my oldest schoolfriends who unfortunately died recently, came up with one of the daftest, which combined onomatopoeia.

If we were chiselling rusted up nuts off something, he would stick out his hand and say "kangstick". You would then pass over a suitably large hammer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have assembled quite a collection of hammers over the years.

Woodworking, engineering, tinsmithing and building. But somehow you can only find the one that you actually needed after the job is done.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Graham T said:

It's often about knowing the right size of hammer to use.  Both when dealing with mechanical devices, and people...

Like the old story of the engineer who get called out to fix a machine in a factory. He takes one look at it, pulls a hammer out of his tool bag, reaches in, and hits the machine, which then starts working. He reports back to the customer, and presents a bill of £500.

The customer fumes: "£500? All you did is hit it with a hammer".

So the engineer presents him instead with an itemised bill:

• Hitting with a hammer: £10
  • Knowing where to hit, and how hard: £490
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

This may be my dodgy memory (!) but I seem to recall chatting to a chap many years ago who had worked briefly on V-bomber avionics.  The recognised fix for a commonly encountered snag with one of the gyroscopes was to gently tap the appropriate spot on the casing with a hammer!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've tried some weathering on 2732 (no hammers required, not yet anyway).  A couple of black washes over the loco itself and buffer beams, then a wash of frame dirt below the footplate, and a bit of dry brushing on the cab steps and handrails.  I don't think I will add any more.  I'm trying for a hard-worked, but still well cared for look.  Not sure if I might have overdone it even with this little amount?

IMG20220705105154.thumb.jpg.233cc235742d4585007db0bb316f5956.jpg

IMG20220705104958.thumb.jpg.775303e6d9fe60188d1464f35f76e59f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Not sure if I might have overdone it even with this little amount?

IMG20220705105154.thumb.jpg.233cc235742d4585007db0bb316f5956.jpg

IMG20220705104958.thumb.jpg.775303e6d9fe60188d1464f35f76e59f.jpg

Not overdone at all Graham, the insignia is still perfectly visible!

Good job 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, Graham T said:

This may be my dodgy memory (!) but I seem to recall chatting to a chap many years ago who had worked briefly on V-bomber avionics.  The recognised fix for a commonly encountered snag with one of the gyroscopes was to gently tap the appropriate spot on the casing with a hammer!

There was a similar thing with the last of the Vauxhall Victor's from '72-'79. You would remove the distributor, place a 1/4" ball bearing atop the hole for the oil pump pick up and give it a "tap with a light hammer" (swung from somewhere behind your head). This seated the ball over the hole enough to stop the oil running back into the sump overnight, which resulted in the valve gear clattering like a washing machine full of nails until the pump had re-primed itself next morning.

Considering that it was a bit of a lash up that was originally going to be a fancy OHC V8 to replace the old six which had it's origins in 30s America and scuppered by the state of the British economy, they were actually pretty tough.

• RMweb Gold

I can't do the brake rodding on 2732 until I receive some bits and pieces from the UK, so have been working on the guttering and assorted pipework for the cottages instead.  Painfully slow work, but it's getting there...

IMG20220706201536.thumb.jpg.829f62ed394f9a8e61ec37eb46ac23bf.jpg

• Like 9