Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium

Much better than the original loco..... are you taking orders? I feel I now need an open cab 0-6-0PT....

Can you despatch one to Spain please 🤣🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a fun project - I'd certainly recommend it.  And not too difficult either; if I can manage it then I'm sure pretty much anyone could...

And of course there are lots of those old Hornby panniers on a certain auction site, I'd imagine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It was a fun project - I'd certainly recommend it.  And not too difficult either; if I can manage it then I'm sure pretty much anyone could...

And of course there are lots of those old Hornby panniers on a certain auction site, I'd imagine.

With all the other 1/2 finished projects I have.... maybe one day!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

2732 put some of her jewellery on this morning 🙂

I added some fire irons, and also a short shovel on top of the bunker, and also some Modelu lamps.  I thought I would be clever and put a dot of red paint into the recess for the lens, to make a tail lamp, but the lenses have an opaque back to them unfortunately.  So I sploshed a bit of red paint onto the front of one instead.

The Modelu system for fitting the lamps onto the irons is rather ingenious (but simple - which is always good).  But as @Harlequin pointed out earlier, the lamp irons I've fitted are a bit too well-fed to slot lamps onto.  To be honest, I'm not too bothered about having had to glue them in place.  I can't see me ever changing the lamp codes whenever I changed trains!

Here's a few views of the loco now.  The green doesn't look quite right on the screen, it's a touch too blue I think, but it looks better to the naked eye so I'm sticking with it.  Next up is gloss spots and then transfers, followed by a matt varnish coat, and then some light weathering.

IMG20220702102814.thumb.jpg.38f5b0c3a2a79af6bc0eba6b1da9a38f.jpg

IMG20220702102759.thumb.jpg.3c8640911367b4c66a996dace31ff78f.jpg

IMG20220702102823.thumb.jpg.7627986d096be52ed4c188674b3b9d3b.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al - the lamps will be getting suitably toned down!  But I think I'll weather the whole loco when I've done the transfers, so that it all blends (hopefully...)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to start fitting three-links to some of my wagons too, so that I can actually have something for 2732 to trundle around with.  So, I need to fashion a coupling/uncoupling tool.  I've seen something on RMweb, but can't for the life of me remember where.  Any ideas please?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Al - the lamps will be getting suitably toned down!  But I think I'll weather the whole loco when I've done the transfers, so that it all blends (hopefully...)

IIRC, pre 1937, GWR lamps were painted red. Afterwards were painted white, but I imagine that it took a few years to swap them all. The black bodied lamps in both periods were side lamps on brake vans. I once had one with a removable red glass screen that could be slotted in behind the main lens which was clear.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

So, the shirt buttons are on!  Am now "girding my loins" before tackling the buffer beam numbers.  Must check the balance in the profanity bank before I start...

I also had a go at painting the crew, but must confess that I'm not entirely happy with them yet.  Perhaps a bit more work on the faces, and I might also make the driver's jacket a lighter blue.  Any thoughts out there in the interwebs?

IMG20220703120221.thumb.jpg.f3210cd361438b8e2c43cb72355d3133.jpg

IMG20220703115612.thumb.jpg.b0928ab7dacbf59cffb0b501ebb08acc.jpg

IMG20220703115714.thumb.jpg.3de969fe7de1a6476964c9e8e7643f49.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just got the first ones on Mr W.  Minimal impact on the profanity bank, although I seem to recall that there was one judicious use of a particularly nasty word beginning with "mother"...

But I think the numbers are probably too small!

IMG20220703144436.thumb.jpg.bf79fdae71d4a53fb8ab7c5c1f4f6994.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered some from Fox Transfers.  So, time to play with test 2732 a bit, and see if she still works.  Here we see her collecting coal, and then reversing away for her next duty 🙂

IMG20220703153611.thumb.jpg.5a8c4598f56cceb845ea0683c78d5416.jpg

IMG20220703153358.thumb.jpg.aeb3cb20f77a782eae96fd83f83e556e.jpg

I must remember to add the brake rodding and buffer beam numbers, once all the required bits have found their way through the postal system.  In the meantime, I'll give the waterslides a little while to harden and then apply a mist of matt varnish.  Then some weathering.  

I also really need to get the cottages finished - I've got the guttering now - and then start thinking about the landscaping to bed them in.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The varnish went on very nicely in one side of the loco - and then milky on the other side!  I've no idea why...

So, I let it dry, then went over the poor areas (very gently!) with a fibreglass pencil, before re-applying the green.  Let's see how it looks tomorrow; hopefully some gentle weathering will tie everything back together.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Here's the speckling I mentioned.  I've repainted the green, but still need to do the chimney, smokebox, and footplate.  No idea why this happened.  I sprayed the LH side of the loco, then moved round and sprayed this side.  So, same varnish, same conditions, etc etc.  I am far from gruntled ☹️

IMG20220704085455.thumb.jpg.c0f816efe8abe91e50f08ff14042d386.jpg

Flummoxed of Chuffnell Regis

• Friendly/supportive 6