Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

Don't forget that curtains on bedrooms and living rooms were typically lined with plain beige/cream material that faced outward. The only bit of colour visible is a couple of inches of hem down the vertical edge where they meet

As it was expensive, typically kitchens, bathrooms etc weren't lined, so the colour would show, but paler than the inside colours.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I finished making the ground floor windows, but think I'll leave the installation until tomorrow.  Some things are more important - such as a couple of nice glasses of primitivo with the boss at dinner 🙂

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Don't forget that curtains on bedrooms and living rooms were typically lined with plain beige/cream material that faced outward. The only bit of colour visible is a couple of inches of hem down the vertical edge where they meet

As it was expensive, typically kitchens, bathrooms etc weren't lined, so the colour would show, but paler than the inside colours.

Thanks Rob.  I was considering what colours to use, and then remembered about linings.

Which reminds me to offer a word of thanks to the Venetians.  Without them, it would have been curtains for all of us!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Rob.  I was considering what colours to use, and then remembered about linings.

It's surprising how many models you see with the curtains hung inside out. I've done it myself!

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Which reminds me to offer a word of thanks to the Venetians.  Without them, it would have been curtains for all of us!

Groan button moment! 😄

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Crittal windows….

We moved into a 1930’s house in the 70’s with Crittal windows…. They had ice on the inside during the winter! Different times.

Yes and then the net curtains froze to the inside of the windows and woe be tide you if you pulled them off as once they got old (the net curtains) that tore chunks out of them.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

All the doors and windows are now finished, thank goodness.  Fiddly job.  Next step will be the flat roof on the extension, followed by a lean-to on the back of the house.  And must remember to add the curtains 🙂

I'll probably be stalled at that point, waiting for guttering and so on from Modelu.

IMG20220605222423.thumb.jpg.b15a43f2ce3b819d94101561c2a8a4c6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 04/06/2022 at 22:33, John Besley said:

Yes and then the net curtains froze to the inside of the windows and woe be tide you if you pulled them off as once they got old (the net curtains) that tore chunks out of them.

In that case I am very lucky that my mother hated net curtains.

I can remember the frost and the windows freezing shut though.

Edited by MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

I made a little bit of progress today, the flat roof is on and the lean-to is just about finished.  The latter needs tiles on the roof, a door handle and step, and then some guttering.  I also had a bit of a brainwave - as the backs of the houses will be a lot more interesting than the fronts, I might flip them through 180 degrees.  The entrance path will then come in from where the backscene is, and effectively be hidden.  And I can add lots of details into the back gardens, which will run up to the railway boundary.

IMG20220606215339.thumb.jpg.bbec4166f338b895c09283b41e05b422.jpg

IMG20220606215350.thumb.jpg.3ea5053fb5cdc45d399ff1e2ce90a79e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

In unrelated, but rather maddening news - I was doing some "testing" late last night, and decided to give my Bachmann Class 1P 0-4-4 a run.  I had picked it up, sound-fitted, in February when KMRC had them on offer.  It ran very nicely when I first gave it a try back then, and - well you can probably guess where this is going.  Or, to be more accurate, not going.  I popped LMS number 1303 on the tracks at Chuffnell R last night, and got a "Can not read CV" error.

I've tried re-setting CV8, but with no success.  And am now feeling somewhat disgruntled, not to say flummoxed.  Anyone got any bright ideas?  I don't really want to take the loco apart if I can avoid it...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Graham T said:

In unrelated, but rather maddening news - I was doing some "testing" late last night, and decided to give my Bachmann Class 1P 0-4-4 a run.  I had picked it up, sound-fitted, in February when KMRC had them on offer.  It ran very nicely when I first gave it a try back then, and - well you can probably guess where this is going.  Or, to be more accurate, not going.  I popped LMS number 1303 on the tracks at Chuffnell R last night, and got a "Can not read CV" error.

I've tried re-setting CV8, but with no success.  And am now feeling somewhat disgruntled, not to say flummoxed.  Anyone got any bright ideas?  I don't really want to take the loco apart if I can avoid it...

I appreciate you're a tad remote (figuratively speaking) but try contacting Bachmann service department.  The loco is still under warranty remember.......

*but CV 8 should have sorted it......

***that said.......isn't the chip fitted a Zimo jobbie........from Austria.....

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium

Morning Graham,

I would suggest a few tricks based on experience. 

1. Try setting CV8 8 again. If that doesn't work, try it again. I know that doesn't make sense, but sometimes thats what happens!

2. Check the programming track - can you read other locos on there?

3. I have found that programming through my Sprog3 / Decoder Pro is far more reliable than the controllers programming function. Don't know why, just the way it is.

4. Failing all of that, you will need to take the loco apart I am afraid. 

It will also be worth checking the instructions, just in case CV8 8 is not the recommended route. I havent had this before, but I have always been encouraged to check.

Failing that speak to the decoder manufacturer (in the event it wasn't a Bachmann sound fitted loco).

Good luck.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I appreciate you're a tad remote (figuratively speaking) but try contacting Bachmann service department.  The loco is still under warranty remember.......

*but CV 8 should have sorted it......

***that said.......isn't the chip fitted a Zimo jobbie........from Austria.....

Rob. 

Good point about the warranty Rob.  The irony of Zimo chips being made here in Vienna isn't lost on me.  I haven't yet tried to find out if I can get UK sound files loaded onto them if bought here - and if it would actually be any cheaper than getting the chips from the UK.  Intuitively you'd think it would be cheaper to buy here, but this is Austria - and hence a bit weird in some respects!

I also took the man's last resort this morning and actually dug out the Bachmann manual.  It says that the decoder is an ESU Loksound Micro V5DCC.  But then a bit later on it refers you to the Zimo MX decoder manual if you feel like mucking about with firebox flicker.  So until I open the loco up I'm not entirely sure what is inside...

Edited by Graham T
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Graham T said:

I made a little bit of progress today, the flat roof is on and the lean-to is just about finished.  The latter needs tiles on the roof, a door handle and step, and then some guttering.  I also had a bit of a brainwave - as the backs of the houses will be a lot more interesting than the fronts, I might flip them through 180 degrees.  The entrance path will then come in from where the backscene is, and effectively be hidden.  And I can add lots of details into the back gardens, which will run up to the railway boundary.

IMG20220606215339.thumb.jpg.bbec4166f338b895c09283b41e05b422.jpg

IMG20220606215350.thumb.jpg.3ea5053fb5cdc45d399ff1e2ce90a79e.jpg

Great idea - back gardens are so much more interesting. My granny had a house just like this that backed onto the Hitchin to Cambridge line just up from the east coast mainline junction.

It had a shed, flowers, two apple trees etc and I can still almost smell the old wire fence between it and the raliway.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

If you stand it on the track and just hit function 1 does the sound work at all? This shows if the chip is live as your issue may be a stalled mechanical drive.

Andy

Unfortunately nothing happens at all.  Just the "Cannot read CV" message...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Great idea - back gardens are so much more interesting. My granny had a house just like this that backed onto the Hitchin to Cambridge line just up from the east coast mainline junction.

It had a shed, flowers, two apple trees etc and I can still almost smell the old wire fence between it and the raliway.

Andy

I already have a few interesting bits and pieces to populate the gardens with 🙂

Not sure about trying to replicate the smell of a wire fence though!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Graham,

I would suggest a few tricks based on experience. 

1. Try setting CV8 8 again. If that doesn't work, try it again. I know that doesn't make sense, but sometimes thats what happens!

2. Check the programming track - can you read other locos on there?

3. I have found that programming through my Sprog3 / Decoder Pro is far more reliable than the controllers programming function. Don't know why, just the way it is.

4. Failing all of that, you will need to take the loco apart I am afraid. 

It will also be worth checking the instructions, just in case CV8 8 is not the recommended route. I havent had this before, but I have always been encouraged to check.

Failing that speak to the decoder manufacturer (in the event it wasn't a Bachmann sound fitted loco).

Good luck.

Morning Neal.  

I've tried CV8 reset lots of times, but will hammer those buttons again on the Power Cab!  I can programme other locos ok (at the moment - hopefully that hasn't just jinxed it...)

I don't have any means of programming other than the Power Cab, I'm afraid.  And the manual says nothing about CV8.

So it looks like time to break out the trusty screwdriver

• Friendly/supportive 2