Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Unfortunately little sis didn't get any square on photos, so that made figuring out the angles a bit tricky.

I know you're going to go with the model as is, but if out of interest you want to see how close you are, try a satelite view on Google maps and measure the length of the ridge as a proportion of overall house length from your brick counting.

Counting bricks is a reliable and recognised sufficiently accurate method for building surveys where access is not easily possible. Trust me, I've done this dozens of times for many satisfied clients over many years.

Great work Graham. I hope you are able to model the external waste water plumbing, which adds valuable contemporary detail.

Best,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

May not be appropriate for your era, but if you modelled the two TV aerials as they actually are, someone would doubtless observe that you made a mistake and that they should both point in the same direction.

If ever you needed proof of the "prototype for everything"...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, longchap said:

I hope you are able to model the external waste water plumbing, which adds valuable contemporary detail.

It made a big difference to this half-relief terrace I built for my Grindleford layout. This was before Modelu had done theirs, so it was scratchbuilt from styrene rod and sheet:

grindleford-railway-terrace133.jpg.fa3887ea995a5ec2620cd31b2949006c.jpg

Al.

• Craftsmanship/clever 8

This was an unusual feature of the prototype which prevented rainwater being discharged onto the track bed which ran directly in front of the crossing house. I had to put it in there.

IMG_20201230_000856.jpg.506deec72d97b51a30dc11924e825eeb.jpg

WP_20200711_15_58_30_Pro.jpg.0546581904ac34727521351c35298f2d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Nice work on the cottages Graham, you've really captured the feel of the real thing. If I may make one small suggestion - and I appreciate how long you've taken getting the roof to fit - but I think your end "hips" are too slanted, they should be more vertical, that is, the peak of them should be nearer the ends of the building. However, that may be just a trick of the photo angle, so feel free to ignore me.

Al.

In theory, I believe that the hips would (usually) have the same slope as the main roof section.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Still plodding on slowly with the cottage.  Internal walls have been added, and also the lintels and sills.  I've had a crack at the windows too, but am not very happy with how they've turned out - I need to think of a better method for making these.  I used thin strips of self-adhesive labels, but I think they are too thick, and also a bit wonky here and there.  Meh.

I'll see what I think of them in the cold light of day tomorrow morning.  I was planning to add thin strips of plasticard around the edges of the windows to show the outer frame, so maybe I'll give that a try and see if it improves the appearance at all.

IMG20220603220502.thumb.jpg.306ec663e98f3f014e24e6644dbe5e5e.jpg

IMG20220603220417.thumb.jpg.730c531210568fc30032b8ee2342734b.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

I need to think of a better method for making these.  I used thin strips of self-adhesive labels, but I think they are too thick, and also a bit wonky here and there.  Meh.

An alternate approach that I've read about but not used is to draw the window on the label, stick to the acrylic sheet, cut fully across the label with a scalpel, finally removing the bits that you don't want. Seems like that might avoid undue wonkiness and permit narrow muntins.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Crittal windows….

We moved into a 1930’s house in the 70’s with Crittal windows…. They had ice on the inside during the winter! Different times.

You might be over-thinking any wonky-ness Graham. They look fine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, aardvark said:

An alternate approach that I've read about but not used is to draw the window on the label, stick to the acrylic sheet, cut fully across the label with a scalpel, finally removing the bits that you don't want. Seems like that might avoid undue wonkiness and permit narrow muntins.

Thanks Aardvark, I think I'll give that method a try.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Crittal windows….

We moved into a 1930’s house in the 70’s with Crittal windows…. They had ice on the inside during the winter! Different times.

You might be over-thinking any wonky-ness Graham. They look fine.

I have similar childhood memories - made getting out from under the covers a bit of a challenge in the morning!

My grandparents were clearly made of sterner stuff 🙂

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I have similar childhood memories - made getting out from under the covers a bit of a challenge in the morning!

My grandparents were clearly made of sterner stuff 🙂

Made worse by the fact you got out of bed onto Lino!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

We were posh, we had carpet in the bedrooms. Lino didn’t start until the bathroom.

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Lino?  Pah!  You had it easy.  We had to make do with gravel and broken glass... 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

And now for a quick round of "spot the difference".  Time to replace the ground floor windows, methinks.  And make sure I have plenty of fresh scalpel blades.  

Clever chap that @aardvark

IMG20220604105803.thumb.jpg.6f7f76cca33744697f564882ab0e6ebf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

30 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Lino?  Pah!  You had it easy.  We had to make do with gravel and broken glass... 

You had beds? We had to sleep leaning against a wall...

etc...

Al.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, aardvark said:

☺️

I decline "clever", just something I read somewhere. Perhaps Scratch Built Buildings by Paul Bason.

Well, at least you read it!  Thanks for the tip, I think the new windows look better.  Now to set up a production line...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

You had beds? We had to sleep leaning against a wall...

etc...

Al.

Now you've started it...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Right then, after (at least) a couple of false starts, the windows are looking a bit more like what I had in mind.  But I can't figure out how to get rid of the pencil marks.  If I try to rub them off then I'll probably pull off the strips of adhesive tape as well.  Hopefully they won't be noticeable from NVD...

IMG20220604152639.thumb.jpg.84033e95e63ca8b72bab7bb98ac09809.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6