Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Are you going to fit Modelu lamps? If so, do they fit over the lamp irons?

I have got some Modelu lamps Phil, yes.  But I have to confess that I'm thinking about just permanently fitting some in a common configuration for this loco, rather than going for accuracy I that regard.

I think I'm going to have enough of a faff dealing with scale couplings, without switching lamps about too!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I have taken the plunge with an airbrush and find it much better than a brush, especially the green. I can recommend the phoenix colours.

Andy

I have an airbrush, but am far from an expert in using it yet.  I've got some time yet before I need to decide on how I'm going to deal with the paintwork, anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I have got some Modelu lamps Phil, yes.  But I have to confess that I'm thinking about just permanently fitting some in a common configuration for this loco, rather than going for accuracy I that regard.

I think I'm going to have enough of a faff dealing with scale couplings, without switching lamps about too!

OK but even if they will be permanent it wouldn’t do any harm to see how a lamp fits before you get too much further.

If it doesn’t you’ll have to modify one or the other and it would be a good idea to find out now so you know what the plan will be.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

OK but even if they will be permanent it wouldn’t do any harm to see how a lamp fits before you get too much further.

If it doesn’t you’ll have to modify one or the other and it would be a good idea to find out now so you know what the plan will be.

Yep, you're right 🙂

This is going to play hell with my eyes!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, aardvark said:

I hear that there's joy in getting something finished.

I wouldn't know myself.

You're playing my tune 🙂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick snap of the old Hornby pannier, with some tweaks and firtling, next to its newer Bachmann cousin.  Good enough for government work...

IMG20220520223915.jpg.d42c68fed458a89e5a0a2fa56c98e1b1.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

I hear that there's joy in getting something finished.

I wouldn't know myself.

Yes, but there's never any joy to be found in rushing a job and finishing too soon.

That applies to a lot of things!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I can feel this thread teetering on the edge of a slippery slope...

What on earth do you mean? I was merely observing that a true craftsman in his art works diligently and patiently until the job is complete and everyone is satisfied with the end result....

😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Yep, you're right 🙂

This is going to play hell with my eyes!

Will you opt for red bodied early lamps or white later ones? Not sure the actual date they swapped though. I have been buying the working ones from YouChoos but painting them red.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The colour change for loco lamps was mid 1930’s - I think from Autumn 1936

Collett issued the instruction on the 22nd December 1936. And he noted that the changeover would be gradual.

It seems to have been done quite quickly for express passenger services.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Like the proverbial mad penny, I have returned.  Just had a week working in Croatia - in equal parts hard work and enjoyable 🙂

Now finding myself struggling a bit for motivation, but did take a little time out to paint the flagstones along the platform edges.  Not sure if I'm happy with the outcome or not, to be honest...

IMG20220528181644.jpg.be7732696b5f336b28d80966c6781c2d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, interesting to see the Scots Pine appearing as GWR planted then on their station boundary, there used to be a row at Buckfastleigh but when the A38 improvement came and stole our branch for Ashburton the Scots Pine went as well.

An interesting point IF the DVR had stuck to their guns then the A38 could have been moved over enough to allow the branch to run to Ashburton instead of which it uses the course of the branch line

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Like the proverbial mad penny, I have returned.  Just had a week working in Croatia - in equal parts hard work and enjoyable 🙂

Now finding myself struggling a bit for motivation, but did take a little time out to paint the flagstones along the platform edges.  Not sure if I'm happy with the outcome or not, to be honest...

IMG20220528181644.jpg.be7732696b5f336b28d80966c6781c2d.jpg

I like the colour of the edging flags, and no doubt you will pin wash the cracks to make them dirty etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I like the colour of the edging flags, and no doubt you will pin wash the cracks to make them dirty etc.

No doubt I will!  Thanks for the reminder (hint?)  I'll probably do a wash across the whole platform surface to tie everything together.

12 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks John.  That is actually why I chose the pine trees - for once I actually did some research!

Yes the Scots pines are still evident at the site of the old Raglan station, which I see every week when I drive past.  Station building  has been dismantled  to be re-erected at the Welsh Folk Museum St Fagans, most of the track bed is now under the A40.  Same at Llantwit Major station on the vale of Glamorgan line. The old station was demolished in the 1960s - the Scots pines survived to greet the opening of the new station.    Good old GWR.    

• Like 4