Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Pannier 2732 has now seen body and chassis reunited!  After a little bit of profanity, naturally.  At first attempt the loco sat on the tracks, happily hissing, bubbling, and clanking away, but refused to move.  In the time honoured tradition of blokes faced with things that mysteriously don't work, I took it apart, and then put it back together again.  There were - surprisingly - no parts left over on the "workbench" and, even more surprisingly - it actually ran under its own steam then.  It's still a bit temperamental over the odd piece of track, but I think that's probably down to a combination of my shoddy track-laying and the short wheelbase.

Still quite a lot of work to do on this one, but here's a little bit of very shaky handheld video showing 2732 in all her glory.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Very little time for playing with Chuffnell R at the moment, but I have managed to fit a reversing lever in 2732's cab, and also the first of the screw couplings.  There was no room for the spring and split pin on the back of the coupling, so it will have to be glued in place.

IMG20220519164611.jpg.640ad9e15d89d6d76e7bd3d35804603d.jpg

IMG20220519163953.jpg.f2f1b2ded342198c78340f9da90b5d9b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Coming on nicely Graham…..

So much so, I started looking at the Brassmaster kit for the open cab 0-6-0PT early today. They look very nice, although I’m not sure about rolling the pannier sides. My soldering is what it is, but it’s the rolling of the corners that concerns me.

Although at £160 plus motor etc. I reckon I’d be more competent with 3 x Comet carriages for the same price!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Coming on nicely Graham…..

So much so, I started looking at the Brassmaster kit for the open cab 0-6-0PT early today. They look very nice, although I’m not sure about rolling the pannier sides. My soldering is what it is, but it’s the rolling of the corners that concerns me.

Although at £160 plus motor etc. I reckon I’d be more competent with 3 x Comet carriages for the same price!

Thanks Neal, I'm quite pleased with how 2732 is coming along so far.  I'm off with work again for a week from Saturday, so she'll be going on hold again for a bit.

I'm sure that's a very nice kit, but it would get rather pricey with the motor etc, especially if you factor in a sound chip!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

very impressive stuff 👍

What he just said.

I'm definitely going to be upgradings pannier or two having seen what you've achieved here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps 🙂

I'm scratching my head about how to represent the brake rodding now.  They weren't just a simple straight run on the prototype, as they had to clear the connecting rods.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks chaps 🙂

I'm scratching my head about how to represent the brake rodding now.  They weren't just a simple straight run on the prototype, as they had to clear the connecting rods.

They should be low enough for it not to be an issue. Have you got any photos for reference?

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Unfortunately the 27xx was different.  This shows what I was trying to explain!

image.png.3906dac162e09ef03a91f6bc12e95824.png

That's an interesting challenge. The low slung push rods could be cut from brass sheet easily enough and soldered to a brass support cage carrying the brake shoes. The tricky bit will be devising a way to fit it to the chassis, probably removable for servicing purposes. Much measurement and test fitting later should produce a rewarding model. 

Keep up the excellent work, as you're almost there.

Bill

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bill.  I was considering brass strip; I thought about plasticard strips, but they would have to pretty thin and I don't think they would stay straight.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Bill.  I was considering brass strip; I thought about plasticard strips, but they would have to pretty thin and I don't think they would stay straight.

What about approaching Squires…. They have the SE Finecast range of kits now and they may well have something suitable…. There’s a 0-6-0PT in the range.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

What a great site!  I wish I'd found them before.  I'll be on there later this evening with a long shopping list for scratch-building materials, I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've got all the detailing work on 2732 finished that I can do for now.  I plan to replace the buffers with some turned brass ones, and also need to order some brass strip for the brake rods.  Additional bits and bobs today were the front end lamp irons, the couplings, buffers, sand pipes, and vacuum and steam pipes.  Not sure how long those last will survive in the real world, we'll see!

From the photos I see that I need to straighten out the lamp iron on top of the smokebox...

IMG20220520183905.jpg.2469ae6d95bc59d4c74f7a0046f4753f.jpg

IMG20220520183951.jpg.51b07d5378ebc5af47a3b5804168ab4d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I've got all the detailing work on 2732 finished that I can do for now.  I plan to replace the buffers with some turned brass ones, and also need to order some brass strip for the brake rods.  Additional bits and bobs today were the front end lamp irons, the couplings, buffers, sand pipes, and vacuum and steam pipes.  Not sure how long those last will survive in the real world, we'll see!

From the photos I see that I need to straighten out the lamp iron on top of the smokebox...

Will you spray it yourself?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Are you going to fit Modelu lamps? If so, do they fit over the lamp irons?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's the plan...  I might try by brush first, see how that looks.

I have taken the plunge with an airbrush and find it much better than a brush, especially the green. I can recommend the phoenix colours.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2