Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering what had happened to the stairs and I must say that those fancy barge boards look superb.

Looking forward to see how the Modelu guttering goes, as I have some and they seem a little bendy, aka uncompliant! Suspect they'll need progressive gluing.

I see what you meant about the slates.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The guttering is very nicely printed, as you'd expect from Modelu, but I was a bit disappointed with how bendy it is.  I've tried to straighten it, without success, so as you say it's going to need gluing on with superglue a few mil at a time, I think.  Not really looking forward to that task...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Things are slowly taking shape.  The planking across the leading off bed is now fixed in place; the walkway out to the running line isn't yet.  And I won't actually fix the signal box in position until I've done the scenery behind it.  I might also move the PW hut a little further away from the box.

IMG20220408141531.jpg.c0ccfbe49b5aabd724b1385cf832adca.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, Graham T said:

The guttering is very nicely printed, as you'd expect from Modelu, but I was a bit disappointed with how bendy it is.  I've tried to straighten it, without success, so as you say it's going to need gluing on with superglue a few mil at a time, I think.  Not really looking forward to that task...

Super glue is how I tend to use it. I have also thought that maybe a UV curing glue could also work. It would make it easier to put the glue on beforehand, without the quick drying impact of superglue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.  I think I'll start with the guttering at the back of the box - the idea being that that part won't be visible from a normal viewing position, so I can practice my bodgery unseen!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's the old Lima horsebox after a fair bit of weatherage.  It used to be Lima's interpretation of LMS red...

Done with Vallejo acrylics, followed by lots of washes and some dry brushing.  The windows have been filled with Microsol Krystal Kleer - the openings are pretty much at the size limit for what it can manage.

IMG20220408181934.jpg.d07837270a13207e035c3b3265fad058.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Gorgeously Grotty Graham. (The thing, NOT Graham himself). 

To be honest Andy, there are times when that phrase could fit either way!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd start with just the GWR pattern boundary fencing, which effectively draws the line between station property and the wild grey yonder.

That then gives you time to ponder whether anything else is required .  .  .  maybe, or maybe not. Moins est plus.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I made a start on the Modelu guttering for the signal box.  Fixing the guttering itself was less of a problem than I expected, but the offsets, end caps, and so on were a real pain.  Incredibly small, of course, and so I've lost one or two to the floor.  And rather annoyingly a 1mm plastic rod doesn't fit through the holderbats (I'm not convinced that's a real word...)

But, after a great deal of swearing, the guttering on the back of the box is done.  (The hole in the roof is for the chimney pipe).

IMG20220409154013.jpg.2f83aa203e9abf8a6fa5f593363c66b4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In between going quietly batty fiddling around with minute 3D prints, I've been trying the grotty horsebox in place on the layout.  The windows dried out more or less clear, although they did manage to pick up some dust.  I don't think that's really a problem though, as I don't expect they were exactly kept sparkling clean!  

The doors should probably be on the track side of the box, I suppose, but it's nice to be able to see them from the normal viewing position.  I'm also still wondering exactly where to plonk the horsebox - anyone got any bright ideas please?

IMG20220409172413.jpg.5195bbb66012813dff6173db130f0ea7.jpg

IMG20220409172427.jpg.06a86730b2d38e1c76530b1978673789.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

The doors should probably be on the track side of the box, I suppose, but it's nice to be able to see them from the normal viewing position.

Well, one way out of that dilemma is simply to keep the horsebox as is and redo the entire layout as a mirror image of how it is now. Problem solved! 😀

If you think that might be just a tad too much like hard work, my suggestion is to put it at angle like this

image.png.330e85773e354400e4376d489d682104.png

with the door facing the water tower, so it's easy to get to from the water tower and the rear office of the engine shed. 

It may not fit there, of course. It's tricky to judge from the photo. 

I take the point about being able to see the windows, but if it's at an angle, I'm hoping that you can see the windows from the side view as the layout curves round to the right and the track goes over the river.

GWR horse boxes had doors and windows on both sides. I'm surprised that the LMS ones didn't.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Well, one way out of that dilemma is simply to keep the horsebox as is and redo the entire layout as a mirror image of how it is now. Problem solved! 😀

If you think that might be just a tad too much like hard work, my suggestion is to put it at angle like this

image.png.330e85773e354400e4376d489d682104.png

with the door facing the water tower, so it's easy to get to from the water tower and the rear office of the engine shed. 

It may not fit there, of course. It's tricky to judge from the photo. 

I take the point about being able to see the windows, but if it's at an angle, I'm hoping that you can see the windows from the side view as the layout curves round to the right and the track goes over the river.

GWR horse boxes had doors and windows on both sides. I'm surprised that the LMS ones didn't.

Well, a total rebuild isn't on the cards (not yet, anyway, but watch this space for thoughts about CR Mk II), so I guess that counts out that option.  The horsebox doesn't really fit in the open space you suggested by the shed - it looks tres weird there.  I'll leave it "floating" for now, and might even look at moving it further towards the station end of the layout, maybe midway between the engine shed area and the goods yard.  That might balance the layout a bit better, and gives something as a point of interest in that open area.

The horsebox did indeed have windows on both sides, but I boarded them up on one side, as per some prototype photos I've seen.

Anyway, there's no rush for a decision, but thanks for the suggestions! 

• RMweb Gold

In other news, the signal box is now complete, save a spot of paint and addition of the signalman, who will be standing on the porch balcony enjoying a mug of tea.

The guttering became a little easier to manage with practice, as you'd expect, but was still mega-fiddly.  I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome though.  Fixing the white metal finials was also a pain.  Not sure about white metal, I think they're made of teflon - I had to use two-part epoxy to get them to stick in the end.

I'll paint the guttering and finials in dark stone.  Looking at these photos, it's tempting to try and add some mortar between the bricks, but to the naked eye the brickwork looks fine, and I'll almost certainly mess it up if I try adding more washes, so I'm going to leave it alone!

IMG20220410102544.jpg.c0515e9d3080cb04368d701710cf2e9e.jpg

IMG20220410102524.jpg.243517cb187f429d47b80f6fa80dc56a.jpg

Edited by Graham T
Joe Strummer
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Cracking job you've made of the signal box. I have had similar issues with attaching the white metal finials to mine. I roughened the side to be glued with Emery cloth to provide a key and remove the oxidation then used epoxy to secure them.

IMG_20211029_005324.jpg.fb4b8bf97955995d89a0154afec7ecc8.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2