Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

As they often do, the little job of sorting out the leading off bed has somehow expanded to pretty much fill any spare time I had today.  None of this is finally fixed down yet, but I think it's starting to look a bit better.  I'll scribe the planking, and add ramps at each end, of course.

I also made a chimney out of plastic rod.  Guttering is probably the next job.  Anyone got recommends for gluing Modelu bits together?

IMG20220403204646.jpg.df8d7701d92549be803415e2153e2c60.jpg

That's a lot better already, remember as well the Signalman will need a boarded route onto the track as well.

9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

That boarding makes a big difference. 
Well done. 
Paul. 

Agreed, changed the look completely 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That's a lot better already, remember as well the Signalman will need a boarded route onto the track as well.

Agreed, changed the look completely 

Thanks both.  I've been pretty busy with work today, but have done a little more to the signal box.  Just the left hand end of the rods to connect up now.

IMG20220404140627.jpg.a4fba32b3c72be1881c1debb404bf141.jpg

For the boards to cross the tracks, how far should they extend?  Something like the red line in the pic below?

289999248_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_31_35.png.3f0398cbe34523d104bae5b07ca7a8ce.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It just needs to be far enough for the signalman to collect the token from an incoming train, and hand one to the crew of an outgoing one - so as far as the nearest rail of the furthest running line from the box.

Edit - the point closest to the box is platform/Bay isn't it, so that's where most trains will be going anyway, unlikely he'll need to go further unless you're expecting a lot of arrivals into the loop?

Edited by Nick C
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Don't for get a tablet catcher, always useful back up if the bobbies held up as you run in

I've no idea what one of those even is John, I'm afraid!  Time for some googling...

A tablet catcher is a large dog. But only if the tablet is hidden in a lump of cheese and thrown at the aforementioned hound....

It's not letting me upload a picture of an actual GWR tablet catcher

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd give you a "funny", if I could.  Hoping that all the pics I've been re-uploading over the last few days haven't disappeared into the ether.  In which case, I will be looking for a "p1ssed off" emoji.

• Like 1

The boffins are making some adjustments so a replacement b#s service has been introduced.

They made me promise not to bomb it.

As I said earlier in agreement with @PhilJ W's post on the outage thread, I think it better to hang fire whilst the site is sorted out as piling in more images is unlikely to help the process.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've no idea what one of those even is John, I'm afraid!  Time for some googling...

Back in the day Chris Leigh did a lovely white metal kit for one.

Tablet catcher, is the means that a crew could drop off that sections token onto a post (backed by a net) and could pick up the token for the next section  from another post. They both had lamps shining on them.

I see Wizard models make one: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/signals/ls0017/ 

Their instruction sheet looks very straight forward / self explanatory: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/ls0017.pdf 

PM if you need further details.

I too hope there are not further issues with the photos after it too so long to load everything up!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Neal, Paul - thank you both.  That certainly looks like a fascinating little piece of detail to add.  Just one more numpty question for now!  Would they have had this at a branch line terminus, where all trains are going to stop anyway?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Neal, Paul - thank you both.  That certainly looks like a fascinating little piece of detail to add.  Just one more numpty question for now!  Would they have had this at a branch line terminus, where all trains are going to stop anyway?

Not necessarily - but as you say, its a nice detail to add.

The accuracy police wont have you if you decide to leave it out.

• RMweb Gold

I think I might well add one.  I'm not too concerned about the accuracy police, there's plenty of other stuff for them to get all het up about at Chuffnell Regis already!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Certainly not if it's operated "One-Engine-In-Steam" and probably not very likely otherwise because they were mainly provided to avoid the need slow to 10mph (the regulation speed for hand token exchange) on busy lines.

None of the classic stations in Karau's "Great Western Branch Line Termini" has token set down posts.

Edit: I feel like I should say something in a policeman's voice: "Come along now you lot. Move along there. Ain't you got 'omes to go to?"

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Certainly not if it's operated "One-Engine-In-Steam" and probably not very likely otherwise because they were mainly provided to avoid the need slow to 10mph (the regulation speed for hand token exchange) on busy lines.

None of the classic stations in Karau's "Great Western Branch Line Termini" has token set down posts.

Edit: I feel like I should say something in a policeman's voice: "Come along now you lot. Move along there. Ain't you got 'omes to go to?"

Now M'Lord, in fairness, I think I need to add for the plaintive.... every GWR BLT (model) has token exchange apparatus.... Indeed I believe m'Lord, even the folks at the S & D had several... at speed I hear as well.

The defence rests its case 🙂 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Said policeman's own home being, naturally, to Letsby Avenue.

I'll get my coat...

I think comments like that Sunny, might land you in bover with the beak 🙂 

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

We have one at Buckfastleigh on the platform side opposite the box just under the footbridge, there is a board walk from the box over the running lines for the Bobbie to pick up the token.

It depends how busy the box is, if there is a shunt going on then we would drop the token off on the arm as opposed to the Bobbie collecting it as we ran in.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The boffins are making some adjustments so a replacement b#s service has been introduced.

They made me promise not to bomb it.

As I said earlier in agreement with @PhilJ W's post on the outage thread, I think it better to hang fire whilst the site is sorted out as piling in more images is unlikely to help the process.

Is it me or have the thumbs up etc. Icons gone AWOL

And the avitar pics vanished...

Edited by John Besley

14 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Is it me or have the thumbs up etc. Icons gone AWOL

And the avitar pics vanished...

They have. Everything is being reloaded at the moment after further database work.