Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

The only good thing I can see, unless Rapido has changed it on their tooling is the rod between each of the side frames, looks like wire/metal, rather than plastic which was a little warped on the prototype.

I considered one but when I saw the cost, I decided against it. I thought it was a render initially as it looked odd from the photos...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Corbs said:

A few pics from the Hornby Website

r30232_2.jpg

r30232_3.jpg

r30232_4.jpg

Looks like a physical model. Surprised at how good it looks, though whether it's accurate is another thing. 

The next thing will be quality and the loco to tender coupling which wasn't very robust on rocket. I can just see what looks like twisted wires so it looks like they might have learnt

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

if it really is in stock then it does imply Hornby where along way down the road, if they choose to get something to market before a rival why is that so bad, that's business for heaven sake.

Its up to the consumer to decide if they purchase or wait for another model by someone else, if its a poor model well thats 100% on Hornby and sales of said product will reflect that.

If needs drive then time can be reduced, if you have the resources  - mainly by putting other things aside to take over various parts of the development, tooling, and production cycle.   Down forget that Hornby has been announcing a considerable number of newly tooled models every year which implies they must have booked factory capacity of some sort.  And look at the considerable delay on the release of the BR Standard 78XXX.  If Hornby had been anywhere tangible with 'Lion' when they announced it surely they  would have done what they did with the 'King' when Hattons announced theirs and would have shown drawings if nothing else?     

But they showed nothing tangible although I don't doubt for one minute that 'Lion' featured somewhere in their future plans possibly 2022 catalogue or maybe even the following year. In fact even if they had it in mind for 2022 they might not have done any serious work on it by the time they tried to forestall the Rapido announcement but no doubt other models could be similarly in the queue for the next catalogue announcement with little work done beyond basic research at that time of the year.  In a relatively large company like Hornby, with a big annual list of new releases it can't be over difficult to shift priorities around.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Can't say I'm hugely impressed by the model in the pictures. Looks rather toy like to me. Certainly nothing in the images make me wish I had pre-ordered it over the Rapido one.

But ultimately as long as the people who have pre-ordered it are happy with it that is what matters. I'm just glad this isn't the only Lion on the market.

Edit: As stated below, I withdraw my criticism.

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Can't say I'm hugely impressed by the model in the pictures. Looks rather toy like to me. Certainly nothing in the images make me wish I had pre-ordered it over the Rapido one.

But ultimately as long as the people who have pre-ordered it are happy with it that is what matters. I'm just glad this isn't the only Lion on the market.

interesting take on it, not  familiar with the prototype at all but its a loco i'm interested in as "something different", can you go into a little more detail based on the images why its toy like etc, thanks

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Not in the market for either, although, I said this about the Terriers too. Still, I'm quite sure Hornby's Lion will sell, even if it's the 'Railroad' to Rapido's 'full fat' version. Look at the difference between 'Genesis' and 'Generic'. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Consider my criticism withdrawn, I should know better than to question Hornby.

Sorry.

No, you made the criticism and there's nothing wrong with that - but now you don't seem willing/able to explain what you feel is "toylike". There must be some features you don't like, so tell us. Other will I'm sure!

FWIW, both the smokebox and con rods seem to have a texture that looks more 3D print to me. It will be interesting to see the production model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I can understand the “toylike” remark, but I think it is just that this particular model is not what we are usually familiar with, also the colours do it no favours in that respect.

There is a strange surface treatment to the bits we can see, a sort of “speckled” finish, this may be an attempt at a stove pipe finish maybe?

I think it looks pretty good actually, TBH if a manufacturer like Hornby cannot make a model at least look good there is no hope for them, it looks good. Who knows how accurate though, but the mechanism and running qualities will be the challenge I feel.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I beg to differ. My K's one will always be better than either of the rtr one because it is hand made by my father and unique to this family. This is now over 40 years old and still running on original motor and wheels. Sadly I will not  be around in forty years to see if the rtr ones are still around.

Mike Wiltshire

lion.JPG.22407b35952058020800b575d2596f5e.JPG

That's brilliant! I'd love it if I'd had one of those as a kid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Corbs said:

A few pics from the Hornby Website

r30232_2.jpg

r30232_3.jpg

r30232_4.jpg

If that is the actual model, the texture of the smokebox and coupling rods suggests either : -

3D printed items

or

injection mouldings from a tool that had not been fully finished / polished.

In either case, it may well be the result of trying to get the model to the market in a hurry.

On this evidence, one to avoid, methinks!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd say the box shot is a final product sample and the second and third are designers illustrations*. I'd love a set, but they're out of my price range nowadays, and the opposition are not also beyond my pocket but I don't really want a film tie-in either.

If Hornby sold Lion as a stand alone loco, then I might be tempted to bite.

* We saw something similar a while ago with the illustrations for the Crosti 9F before release.  There were lots of comments about the shadows beneath the loco at the time.

Edited by Hroth
Extra thought...
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scumcat said:

It’s real it’s on eBay already. With photos of the actual thing. Do you believe it yet?

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Link?

Just go into eBay and search for Hornby Lion

But here it is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165699116994

3 available, and not apparently a gouging price either...

15:15 - Only 1 left!

Edited by Hroth
Mistype and update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

No, you made the criticism and there's nothing wrong with that - but now you don't seem willing/able to explain what you feel is "toylike". There must be some features you don't like, so tell us. Other will I'm sure!

FWIW, both the smokebox and con rods seem to have a texture that looks more 3D print to me. It will be interesting to see the production model.

Able yes, willing no. There really isn't any point in me listing my issues with it, which would only serve to add unnecessary negativity.

If the majority of people like the model then as I said that is all that really matters.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If Hornby sold Lion as a stand alone loco, then I might be tempted to bite.

I was wondering about that in terms of the ability to convert it to 'as built' condition (or a rough approximation of 'as first rebuilt').

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They are now taking advance orders for sets (two coaches and the tram locomotive they produced for Model Rail magazine).

Don't tell me. Jury still out about which GER-version I need want.  😍

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Corbs said:

I was wondering about that in terms of the ability to convert it to 'as built' condition (or a rough approximation of 'as first rebuilt').

Plus renaming a second one to "Tiger"!

• Like 2