Alejandro's Culo Ardiente Nachos, Brownsville TX

Well it's been a while since I was asking lots of simple questions about US Model Railroads, and I've finally taken the plunge. 

I've just had a Scale Model Scenery Baseboard kit delivered, I've finalised the track plan, inspired by one of Alcanmans excellent layouts, and I also have an Atlas ATSF GP30 in N gauge winging it's way to me from eBay. 

The background Alejandro's Culo Ardiente Nachos (I'll let you do the translation) is a reasonably size factory manufacturer of rather spicy Nachos in Brownsville, Texas. I chose Brownsville from my family name, and Alejandro is the spanish version of my christian name. 

There are 3 spots for the factory, 2 for boxcars, and 1 for tankcars of Hot Sauce (Atlas have some on the way I believe), in addition to the area is a Cement works served by a single Covered Hopper.

This is the trackplan:

image.png.5afcaaf058b3dadebe55f50a9f7c88b7.png

I am also putting on a yard diner and some background apartments. 

The track is Tomix, that has been recycled from my Swiss layout which has gone by the wayside, and the stock has been sold off. I think that layout was a bit pie in the sky for my skill set, scenery wise. The main factory although Walthers kit on the plan, I am swaying to the ITLA Models modular industrial building.

Just off research 50' Boxcars now, and work out where to put the uncoupling magnets.

As usual any advice, or critisism is gratefully received. 

• Like 5

I have built the board, and I have to say it went together easier than I thought. I've laid the track out but I'm going to sink it into foam board, as I'm aware the ballasting on such an area wouldn't be as neat or thick as the tomix track suggests. 2 bits of stock including the stunning Atlas GP30 in Santa Fe blue.

IMG_20210313_142808.jpg

IMG_20210313_143444.jpg

IMG_20210313_143436.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I started out in US outline modelling with N Scale. American models suit the scale well, being that bit bigger than UK/EU types. Over the years I have worked my way up through HO to O. In the intervening time N has come on in leaps & bounds - I sometimes wonder if ever I don't have the space for O, I would be tempted to go back to N. Always interesting to see what others are doing with it. :good:

• Thanks 1

Firstly, I should say sorry that I laid the track out incorrectly for my first test of the track layout. It doesn't look as good as the one I designed. So I have spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon building a walthers tenement block kit while watching some appalling football (Birmingham City) and then an equally dismal first half of rugby. Just need to apply a bit of weathering to the kit as it does look very plastic.

It came in a delivery along with 4 stunning 50ft box cars. Including one in Providence and Worcester which I did want due to my residence in Worcestershire. I have to say I think I may have a fetish for Boxcars developing, as even though I don't need anymore for the layouts operation, I do want more. Just waiting for my local range to get some foam board in stock so I can get cracking, with scenery. Some photos for you.

IMG_20210321_122350.jpg

IMG_20210321_122013.jpg

IMG_20210321_122008.jpg

IMG_20210321_120519.jpg

IMG_20210321_120515.jpg

IMG_20210321_120511.jpg

IMG_20210321_120505.jpg

16163301332773068439732444466128.jpg

Edited by wollastonblue
Grammar
  • Like 6