Roadrailer

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Only the first two prototype vans had the placards on the sides; 'roadrailer' at first, then the 'BRS Roadrailer'

You've got that the wrong way round.

The BRS/Roadrailer placards were fitted to the two prototype "vans" for their showing off at Marylebone when first built. These were replaced by the simpler Blue/ white boards after BRS withdrew their support for the project and became anti-roadrailer.

Besides the roadwheels being modified from the early inset type; the two prototype vans, on which the peco kit is based, were always recognisable in the rake due to their dissimilar side ribs and different roof profile. Also the external ferrous pars and underframes were painted a different colour to the production batch. The blue side-plates remained fitted through the early 1960's whilst the prototypes carried out a series of nationwide promotional tours and throughout testing.

No doubt you've seen this crop from a BR official.

Class31RoadrailersCambridge.jpg.e9f01070dcf8039981e7b3bd7f956bd0.jpg

23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I understand that this tractor was developed primarily for the military, for use with missile launching trailers.

Another fallacy that is slowly turning into factuality.

The AEC mandators that were built to transport the British Nuclear deterrent were a totally different beast. They were rigid wheelbase and half cabs, the pointy bit of missile sitting in the position of the removed cab section.

BRS had quite a sizable fleet of the Split/curved screen mandator tractor units as you can see below.

Maybe the 1963 pic inspired those at scalecraft?

AEC-BRS-ASX.jpg.63b1a78a0323a020ae226214d2f23fc3.jpg

Roadrailer-AEC-1963.jpg.992d1d1ad16b01092287f7789cbf6d9e.jpg

On 27/04/2023 at 07:16, Darius43 said:

Already built examples from eBay. Repaired, tidied up and fitted with metal wheels.

Lovely job.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

You've got that the wrong way round.

The BRS/Roadrailer placards were fitted to the two prototype "vans" for their showing off at Marylebone when first built. These were replaced by the simpler Blue/ white boards after BRS withdrew their support for the project and became anti-roadrailer.

Besides the roadwheels being modified from the early inset type; the two prototype vans, on which the peco kit is based, were always recognisable in the rake due to their dissimilar side ribs and different roof profile. Also the external ferrous pars and underframes were painted a different colour to the production batch. The blue side-plates remained fitted through the early 1960's whilst the prototypes carried out a series of nationwide promotional tours and throughout testing.

No doubt you've seen this crop from a BR official.

Class31RoadrailersCambridge.jpg.e9f01070dcf8039981e7b3bd7f956bd0.jpg

Another fallacy that is slowly turning into factuality.

The AEC mandators that were built to transport the British Nuclear deterrent were a totally different beast. They were rigid wheelbase and half cabs, the pointy bit of missile sitting in the position of the removed cab section.

BRS had quite a sizable fleet of the Split/curved screen mandator tractor units as you can see below.

Maybe the 1963 pic inspired those at scalecraft?

AEC-BRS-ASX.jpg.63b1a78a0323a020ae226214d2f23fc3.jpg

Roadrailer-AEC-1963.jpg.992d1d1ad16b01092287f7789cbf6d9e.jpg

Lovely job.

Your chronology of the BRS placards is accepted, thank you.

Not being in anyway an expert on road transport, my posted comments are my recollection of what I read on an AEC website - the point is that photos of Roadrailers rarely show Mandator tractors.

CJI.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those members who took an interest in this thread will probably be aware that the production Roadrailers differed from the two prototypes in several respects.

One of these differences was in the detail of the sideframes carrying the road and rail axles.

Close-up photographs of the prototype sideframes are relatively easy to source, but the same cannot be said for the production ones.

I have a feeling that I have seen such an image at some point, but I cannot now recall where.

If anyone is able to point me at such a photo, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

Increasing hard to find unmade Scalecraft kits and as a result silly 2nd prices, however still come  across cheaper bodies often without or missing under gear 

So here is recent scratch built effort

20240209_152439.jpg.2c6f3c18cd8322ec46fe9ad54a305725.jpg

Some differences to aid quicker and stronger unferframe, side triange holder one solid piece and cut out to allow tyre to fit higher up, solid tyre axle, Miniature screws as fastening these sourced from old mobile phones with star heads as they really look like axle hubs. Also use bigger wheels with pin point axles for better running

Also looking at Railroader trailer for containers, read about these years ago can't find the article could even be American, I believe a few prototypes made, I've lots of containers. Also read one disadvantage was the extra weight of the rail wheel used on roads for both American and British versions, a method of adding a road wheel to the rail wheels was considered and prototype built so the rail axle became rigid and become a road wheel saving weight, looking at that method too

20240209_152500.jpg.d3c06497ec23e520f5bc38ff9e351689.jpg

20240209_154459.jpg.3f141c335c0485898ad0f4a0f2c728e9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Increasing hard to find unmade Scalecraft kits and as a result silly 2nd prices, however still come  across cheaper bodies often without or missing under gear 

So here is recent scratch built effort

20240209_152439.jpg.2c6f3c18cd8322ec46fe9ad54a305725.jpg

Some differences to aid quicker and stronger unferframe, side triange holder one solid piece and cut out to allow tyre to fit higher up, solid tyre axle, Miniature screws as fastening these sourced from old mobile phones with star heads as they really look like axle hubs. Also use bigger wheels with pin point axles for better running

Also looking at Railroader trailer for containers, read about these years ago can't find the article could even be American, I believe a few prototypes made, I've lots of containers. Also read one disadvantage was the extra weight of the rail wheel used on roads for both American and British versions, a method of adding a road wheel to the rail wheels was considered and prototype built so the rail axle became rigid and become a road wheel saving weight, looking at that method too

20240209_152500.jpg.d3c06497ec23e520f5bc38ff9e351689.jpg

20240209_154459.jpg.3f141c335c0485898ad0f4a0f2c728e9.jpg

Have a look at Ironmink on Thingiverse. You'll find a free 3D printable design for which the subject was one of my Scalecraft Roadrailers. There is also the converter bogie design.

I have one of the 3D versions as the most recent addition to my rake of twelve - it's indistinguishable from the rest.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/02/2024 at 16:29, cctransuk said:

Have a look at Ironmink on Thingiverse. You'll find a free 3D printable design for which the subject was one of my Scalecraft Roadrailers. There is also the converter bogie design.

I have one of the 3D versions as the most recent addition to my rake of twelve - it's indistinguishable from the rest.

John Isherwood.

Thanks i looked at Ironmink but couldn't find roadrail stuff did however find a 16T mineral wagon download.

3 D pinting is the way forward, my underframe was made using 3mm uPVC scrap plastic from cutouts in electrical conduct systems.

Ive access though local "men shed" 3D printing and its a long learning curve, however have noticed some really good value OOn9 3D printed stock for sale at local model shoes and toy fairs,  when RTR manufacturers are charging up to £20 per wagon, at £1 each for almost the same wagon a  3D wagon unpainted and no wheels that might be the future or our hobby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That doesn't appear to have the tilt of the Scalecraft version.

'Tilt'?

Not sure what you mean.

I have one of the 3D ones, and it is indistinguishable in my rake from the other eleven Scalecraft models.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I think what is meant is the downward “tilted” angle of the first Roadrailer that is coupled to the adaptor wagon.

Cheers

Darius

Easily induced to tilt, by slightly deepening the coupling slot on the adapter bogie.

It may be that Ironmink, (the designer), was not aware of the tilt.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

• 4 months later...

Photos of Roadrailer being demonstrated somewhere on the Southern Region (coupled to D6534) at the NA3T website, search Roadrailer. I'm pretty sure the location is in Maidstone West goods yard, in one photo parts of the Foster Clarke food factory are visible in the background, this was adjacent to the goods yard. Corroboration is another view on NA3T, search Maidstone West, a view of the goods yard, the Foster Clarke building just visible in the background (and the poles supporting the 750V overhead wires for E5000s to operate in the yard).

I had the boxed Scalecraft kit as a kid, bought in a model shop up Union Street, roughly opposite the Methodist Church.

Edited by Artless Bodger
Extra comment
  • Like 1