The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Estate Disposal

JimC

On 06/03/2021 at 20:04, stewartingram said:

My loft is absolutely full of magazines. Being born in 1949, the same year as Railway Modeller started, I've tended to start my collections from then onwards.

The model mags from then were the 'Big 3' - Railway Modeller, Model Railway Constructor, and Model Railway News (later morphing into Model Railways). I have almost a full set of these 3 **, plus  a complete collection of Rail, and a late 50s onwards collection of Railway World, Railway Mag, early Modern Railways, then Steam Railways and miscellaneous other mags as well.

Paper is heavy.  If you've got all that lot in your loft, at least you know your ceiling joist must be OK.  

• Agree 1

If there -'s a lot of it, rolling stock should prove saleable.  I would suggest the locos be sold on ebay - possibly as job lots of two or three.  Try to get a reasonable description by somebody who knows what they are looking at - a member of local model railway club might be willing to help - you can always offer an incentive in the form of some of the stock.  Don't try to set a fixed price if you don't know - an auction with a low start price should find its fair value.  And pick a £1 listing day.

Wagons and coaches definitely list as job lots because otherwise the postage cost becomes disproportionate.

Not much else will be worth the bother unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Considering how many are in the same position, there never seems to be any consensus on how to get rid of all our toys and books.  No matter how much we love them now, we shall all be past it when 'that' day arrives so considering where we live in the US, no one is interested in Hornby so into the dumper it goes along with all the mostly English train books.  All my US trains are pre remote control, so virtually valueless so they go to the dump as well.  All those lovely loggers - breaks my heart!  Books are heavy to ship these days as are a lot of locomotives.  The cost to ship the Hornby back to the UK would be prohibitive considering the rewards so forget that idea.  Sad but harsh reality and even if one had the time and inclination to try and sell them all, there would be few takers.

Also, all that Meccano, doomed to a similar fate!:cry:

Brian.

It needs to be remembered that it's OUR hobby stuff and to others its merely junk. Probably we view others hobbies & items as junk.

So do the items owe us anything, as it has done the job of occupying our spare time? It's great, if it can be sold or given to others of similar interest to ourselves, but ultimately if it must be thrown out, so be it.

• Like 2