The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

13 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Quite so which is why I said "hardly foolproof" but a 70 plate LR Evoque with West London garage plates (other marques are available) on the clifftop is a great excuse to have a whinge 

If they can afford one of them then it's likely to be a 2nd home owner I'd have thought. 

8 minutes ago, Hobby said:

If they can afford one of them then it's likely to be a 2nd home owner I'd have thought. 

If they have a property here more likely someone who's moved down from the London area over the last year. The town Facebook page daily looks to have enquiries such as the best areas to live in, best estate agents, is the a deli in town and where are the good schools (as a retired teacher who spent his career in the area I find the answers to that a good read!) Local estate agents and not so local as we had a London one recently regularly post leaflets asking if we're thinking of moving as they have out-of-area buyers waiting. There's seems to be a definite trend.

Stu

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

All the time I lived in Cornwall, I only had one locally registered car.

Simply because the sort of junk  pre-loved classic I would drive are far far cheaper Up North.

Cheap enough in the order of "you could make a living out of it!" (indeed I believe some Dealers do indeed do just that)

Used cars get moved around much more these days. Ex-motability cars were often registered centrally rather than locally to the keeper. Same applies to some garage chains.

Last car I had on a local plate was sold on in 2004. Since then: Coventry (first owner moved down here), North Wales (ex-Motability), and Derbyshire (previously on a personal number) re-registered on a London plate and purchased from a dealer in Wiltshire!

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think there is some sort of low-level but large mass migration going on....

A mix of Covid lead lifestyle re thinking, the Stamp Duty window and just a realization of what actually is better has seen local house prices (to me) go up in the region of 15% in the last year.

• Agree 2

Motability cars are registered by the supplying dealership so will carry the local registration of the original purchaser. They aren't registered centrally. (We're on our fifth so I speak from experience of how it works.) 

Also they only tend to get onto the secondhand market three years down the line and not many of us can afford a LR equip, so unlikely to be an ex motability car with a 70 reg. 

38 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

I think there is some sort of low-level but large mass migration going on....

A mix of Covid lead lifestyle re thinking, the Stamp Duty window and just a realization of what actually is better has seen local house prices (to me) go up in the region of 15% in the last year.

Having initially worked in an office in the West End (London), then relocated out to an office in suburbia, home life was so much better saving 2 hours a day commuting

Then the business changed and we worked form our homes, only going to a central office an hour or so a week, was so different from the days of having to commute.

Now living in a semi rural area 20 miles outside the M25, life is so much different, the village is surrounded by either National Trust common land or woodland, yet a few mins from the A12 and 20 mins from the M25

Lockdown has completely changed everyone's view on both working and living environments, and the lack of commuting is good for the planet. I feel sorry for those who both have to live in the cities and those having to share their country idol.

My son in law has bought a brand new scooter with the savings he has made from not commuting, many are using the savings to move home or extend their properties 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I attended a Webinar last night. Nothing to do with covid. It was about historic buildings and planning. However the subject of covid cropped up. The speaker suggested that we should view covid as a war situation and set in progress a recovery plan. As you say, so many businesses will not reopen and so many buildings will never again be used for the purpose for which they were built. There are shopping malls in London that have never seen a single shop opened. There is an urgent need for a plan to find a use for these buildings that will generate employment and income. The suggestion from a senior town planner was that the best idea would be a short term plan to regenerate the economy and the grand city centre developments should be  put on hold until a clearer picture emerges as to what the future will look like. Even going as far as to build temporary structures to cater for the needs of the next ten years or so.

I go along with that as the infections and deaths seem to be disproportionate in certain districts and in certain communities. Transport also looks like a prime candidate for change. The idea spouted by Boris of levelling up requires serious action. If something can be done then the improvement in mental health will surely follow. But it needs action now. As you say, we are sitting on a bomb and the clock is ticking.

Bernard

A great example of stupid short-termism was the UK National Government's decision circa 1970 (I don't know the exact details) to only specify a 25 year design life for public buildings. The hospital in the news in Norfolk is a classic example of the policy's lasting legacy of waste

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Mainly because its timing was laughably wrong. All it did was get the Govt to pay a % of meals that, in holiday high Summer, would have been bought anyway. Diners were being turned away right left and centre. Had it been timed for the Autumn, when business slackens and capacity is spare, the hospitality trade might have caught up a little on its losses earlier in the year. 

Possibly, but I used it to support a couple of local restaurants. In total I paid them what I normally would have, just more of it was a tax-free tip. 

I wanted to help them make up some of their losses, and I’ve been lucky compared to many so it didn’t seem fair for me to get tax-payer subsidised meals. 

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The premise of a vehicle registration number showing where it comes from generally speaking is effectively dead, the current nonsense registration system and the closure of many local DVLA offices being key factors.

Buses notably used to have local operators registrations until about 2013 or 2014, now everything is registered either where they are built (Falkirk Scottish often SN registrations and Scarborough often YX  numbers for Alexander Dennis buses for example) or the local registration office to the UK dealer for the type, hence why all Scania coaches seem to have Birmingham numbers. 

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The premise of a vehicle registration number showing where it comes from generally speaking is effectively dead, the current nonsense registration system and the closure of many local DVLA offices being key factors.

It isn't nonsense, the first two letters show the area (first letter) and postal area (second), numbers are year and the rest random, so no different to the older stuff.

https://www.theaa.com/cars/news/hot-topics/number-plates-what-do-they-mean-and-what-do-they-tell-you-aa-cars-14037.html

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Quite so which is why I said "hardly foolproof" but a 70 plate LR Evoque with West London garage plates (other marques are available) on the clifftop is a great excuse to have a whinge :-)

Well done on getting your 1st (?) jab done.

Stu

Freelander Coupe

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, laurenceb said:

For some reason a lot of leased vehicles have Yorkshire marks

Yardley’s IIRC are/were the relevant company buying and supplying those lease fleet vehicles. Had one from them back in the day when I had an employer supplied lease car.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

The new coastal community pastime - spot the registration number. Yes, I know it's hardly foolproof but it passes the time whilst out :-)

Stu

Yes, but doesn’t work well down here as a lot of the residents are from the Midlands (and lovely people they are too) who have come down for work, but in our particular town an awful lot of cars/trucks have personal plates, not expensive plates but the town’s name lends itself to the first four digits easily obtainable from DVLC, so they are easily spottable and get away with parking where “up country” type can’t :D

Good news this morning 

UK's vaccination programme is breaking the link between Covid-19 cases and deaths,

Whilst the data about infections stops in mid to late March when infections plateaued, they are back on the decline this month

Also the risk of getting blood clots has been likened to the same risk as a long distance flight of DVT, or the annual risk of being killed whilst driving in a car . Given this will people either stop long distance flights or driving a car?

Certainly our parish area has been in the 0-2 infections for 3 weeks now and the local district is down to a 7 day figure of 33, about 18 per 100,000. Districts with less than 10 infections per 100,000 are now becoming more common. Also the average 7 day deaths has been 2 for 2 weeks now

We seem to have got through schools going back, the next hurdle is mixing out doors along with other relaxations.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Hobby said:

And only just allowed down here recently to “clean and prepare” the dwelling, not actually live here, but I fear that changes this week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, hayfield said:

Lockdown has completely changed everyone's view on both working and living environments, and the lack of commuting is good for the planet. I feel sorry for those who both have to live in the cities and those having to share their country idol.

I don't know about London, but Manchester has a lot more green spaces than I knew about - it's amazing the places we've found during lockdown without going outside of the boundaries, problem is though so has everyone else......

Within 10 minutes walk of my home is a place called the Meadows, it's a flood zone for the Mersey (which seems odd when the Mersey runs about 20 foot below it, but it still flooded and horses were waist deep in it recently!!).  But basically, once you're on the Meadows you're next to the Trans Pennine Trail and that leads for miles.  Last weekend, I was in a another local park, it is skirted by the Mersey and M60 but you'd think you were in the countryside at times, not a building in sight.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, hayfield said:

Not everyone. Remember the circa 3% of us who work in the health and social care sector and emergency services. The last 13 months has seen us working harder and longer than ever before.

• Friendly/supportive 12

28 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I don't know about London, but Manchester has a lot more green spaces than I knew about - it's amazing the places we've found during lockdown without going outside of the boundaries, problem is though so has everyone else......

Within 10 minutes walk of my home is a place called the Meadows, it's a flood zone for the Mersey (which seems odd when the Mersey runs about 20 foot below it, but it still flooded and horses were waist deep in it recently!!).  But basically, once you're on the Meadows you're next to the Trans Pennine Trail and that leads for miles.  Last weekend, I was in a another local park, it is skirted by the Mersey and M60 but you'd think you were in the countryside at times, not a building in sight.

There are a lot of green spaces in London, but its the whole living experience which has gone down hill.