The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

8 hours ago, Hobby said:

We use click and collect, far easier. 

This is something the supermarkets offer, but costs them a fortune and in my opinion its just a matter of time when the cost will be passed on to those using the system if  too many people use this system

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

10 am on a Sunday morning for my supermarket food shopping, very civilised and quiet.  Had to do it on a Saturday recently and it was a horrific experience, aisles crammed with natters and ditherers, nothing on the shelves, old dears squeezing the life out of the bread loaves and then bunging the mangled remains back on the shelf, never again!

Given that Sundays is now the busiest trading day £'s per hour, plus a much later start and many allowing browsing (another word for starting your shop early) for 30 mins prior to tills opening makes Sunday the worst day to shop

11 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I wouldn't recommend that where I live. There's usually twenty or thirty waiting to get in on Sunday morning.

I do two trips, Wednesday for Mum (92) and Step-dad (87), and Thursday for my own. It got too confusing doing it all in one go. I'm currently doing much more for them than usual until he's given the OK to drive again following an eye operation. Hopefully next week!

Weekday mornings are generally quiet until after 0830 so I reckon to be done before that. 

Agree that couples shopping together cause real bottlenecks. They seem to be the most likely not to have  lists and be working out their menu for the week as they go!

Trading in supermarkets has radically changed in supermarkets over the years, Monday to Thursday with longer trading hours most shops are far less busy than they were 10 years ago, the busiest time being after the afternoon school run. For choice Monday's to Wednesday's are weekend recovery days, and most stores now operate an overnight/early morning replenishment program. For choice Thursdays may be the best for availability

Trading ramps up from Friday's now, Saturday's being the day most money is taken, Sunday's the most per hour. There will be local exceptions but in general Monday to Thursday taking are not as good as they were in the past. 

If you are worried about numbers in a supermarket keep away from weekends, the after school hour and in some areas lunch time. Chose your time and you can shop with relative ease

• RMweb Premium

Well, just seen the huge dense crowds celebrating some football match result or something, if that doesn't make for another huge spike in a week or two I would be very surprised. 

I am still astounded the football was allowed to take place at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Neil said:

Found on Facebook

eggs.jpg.690b6a6484451203af11e35e1835539b.jpg

That one guy is typical of the whole population and we should all stay in our homes for the next 100 years because of him - well it would be because of him if the story wasn't 6 years old, long before Covid was being developed naturally jumping species, let's not let any facts get in the way of a good story though...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Last week I was very concerned about the rising infections, and to be quite honest with the information to hand and past experience justifiably. But with the exception of a few politicians (who have agendas) and some experts (not necessarily within the UK loop) the message from the UK is changing as seemingly we enter a new chapter in dealing with the virus

An edited version of the latest study

Imperial College London data suggests. 

The React study, which tested more than 47,000 volunteers across England between 24 June and 5 July, 

And the men were 30% more likely than the women to test positive for Covid.

The infections had not translated into a large number of people in hospital or dying, 

And vaccinated men and women were much less likely than others to catch the virus.

The report also found:

prevalence of the virus had risen from 0.15% in early June to 0.59% in early July

big rises in infections across all age groups under 75 and especially among younger people

1.33% of the 13-17 and 1.4% of the 18-24-year-olds were infected

London had seen the largest increase in infections - to 1.08%

vaccinated under-65s were three times less likely to be infected than unvaccinated people of the same age

two vaccine doses gave 72% protection against a positive test result

The study results show a similar pattern to the Office for National Statistics

The one thing everybody seems to agree on is that the link between the virus and mass hospitalizations and very high death rates has been broken

Secondly we need to come out of lockdown some time

Thirdly immunity is obtained either by recovering from the virus or being vaccinated.

It seems as I said earlier given the reluctance of the medical profession to vaccinate children they want them to obtain immunity naturally as they do with many other virus's, this is born out by the acceptance of (very) high infection rates over the next few weeks. In the past this would be very worrying, now seemingly with those at most risk being vaccinated its less of an issue, perhaps the new norm ?

Something we will become use to the same way as we have with masks  

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

This is something the supermarkets offer, but costs them a fortune and in my opinion its just a matter of time when the cost will be passed on to those using the system if  too many people use this system

Given that Sundays is now the busiest trading day £'s per hour, plus a much later start and many allowing browsing (another word for starting your shop early) for 30 mins prior to tills opening makes Sunday the worst day to shop

Trading in supermarkets has radically changed in supermarkets over the years, Monday to Thursday with longer trading hours most shops are far less busy than they were 10 years ago, the busiest time being after the afternoon school run. For choice Monday's to Wednesday's are weekend recovery days, and most stores now operate an overnight/early morning replenishment program. For choice Thursdays may be the best for availability

Trading ramps up from Friday's now, Saturday's being the day most money is taken, Sunday's the most per hour. There will be local exceptions but in general Monday to Thursday taking are not as good as they were in the past. 

If you are worried about numbers in a supermarket keep away from weekends, the after school hour and in some areas lunch time. Chose your time and you can shop with relative ease

Wife does supermarket shopping every Saturday around 7pm. Never many there, no queues etc. Been going around this time for over a year. Lidl / Aldi / Tesco Wigan.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Well, just seen the huge dense crowds celebrating some football match result or something, if that doesn't make for another huge spike in a week or two I would be very surprised. 

I am still astounded the football was allowed to take place at all.

Be surprised, be very surprised. (again)

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

That one guy is typical of the whole population and we should all stay in our homes for the next 100 years because of him - well it would be because of him if the story wasn't 6 years old, long before Covid was being developed naturally jumping species, let's not let any facts get in the way of a good story though...

Hi

Unless I’ve missed something wasn’t that being used to illustrate a point?

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Unless I’ve missed something wasn’t that being used to illustrate a point?

Cheers

Paul

You did - by omission of the date it implied this was recent and it only made the point that 6 years ago someone did something stupid, wow, first time for everything - not sure how that's relevant to today though ?

Here's a website that's full of stupid people doing stupid things - they also aren't relevant

https://darwinawards.com/

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Neil said:

Found on Facebook

eggs.jpg.690b6a6484451203af11e35e1835539b.jpg

It takes a special kind of moron to come up with an idea like that, let alone act on it!

:girldevil: Any ambiguity is wholly intentional. :diablo_mini:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 2

I get it!

The implications being.....common sense, and British people, are unlikely to be matched in reality....which I wholeheartedly agree with.

From my many decades of observation, I think the creme egg example is somewhat on the mild side for the so-called 'commons sense' displayed by our delightful population?  Regardless of how old the example happens to be? I cannot see any evidence of things having improved over the years?  **

Of course, 99% of RMweb members will disagree..to which I would only add, ''if the cap fits?''  :)

** Of course, one person's  idea of ''common sense'' will be another person's idea of ''idiocy?''

For the mods...if you wish to ban me [once more?]  then kindly inform me, as last time I spent ages trying to work out what was wrong with my computer!!  :(

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

That's how it tends to work - a small proportion of people are completely irresponsible fools, so let's treat the entire population like irresponsible children. I think it's called "progress."

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That's how it tends to work - a small proportion of people are completely irresponsible fools, so let's treat the entire population like irresponsible children. I think it's called "progress."

Indeed - whats quite funny is the guy who stuffed said bottom with said eggs received a Turner prize for doing so ;)

https://beezlystreet.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/turner-prize-for-man-that-stuffed-9-creme-eggs-up-bum/

Edited by beast66606

• RMweb Gold

We switched to getting supermarket deliveries quite early last summer, and certainly won't be going back unless we have to - even without Covid worries, it's so much more pleasant to not have to fight your way through the crowds. Neither of us enjoy shopping, so anything that can reduce it helps!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

It's the "irresponsible children" that do the most damage and it's more than a small proportion of the UK population, judging from recent referenda and polls, not to mention those that refuse to get vaccinated for completely inane reasons.

If you want a shopping related example, just take a look at the behaviour of people around the yellow sticker shelves.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 2mmMark said:

It's the "irresponsible children" that do the most damage.

Sure, the bit I have a problem with is when that leads to "... and because we don't know exactly who they are the best approach is to assume everyone might be one of them and treat everyone accordingly."

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sure, the bit I have a problem with is when that leads to "... and because we don't know exactly who they are the best approach is to assume everyone might be one of them and treat everyone accordingly."

As I recall, it worked pretty well at school in bringing an entire class to its senses.  We've lost our way somewhat in the UK with an ever-growing lack of self-discipline and self-respect. Too much "F U bruv, jog on I'll do whatever I want, don't need no advice from experts"

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

As I recall, it worked pretty well at school in bringing an entire class to its senses.  We've lost our way somewhat in the UK with an ever-growing lack of self-discipline and self-respect. Too much "F U bruv, jog on I'll do whatever I want, don't need no advice from experts"

Personally I found it had the opposite effect. Getting screwed over for the misbehaviour of others didn't create much respect for those made and enforced the rules but created an impression of them being unfair and undirected. I made an effort to behave but fat lot of good it did me!

Whilst I agree that there's a big problem with lack of self-discipline and self-respect I can't see the approach of "you're all too dumb to behave properly so shut up and do as you're told instead" helps. It gets ignored by those who need it and irritates the rest.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"F U bruv, jog on I'll do whatever I want, don't need no advice from experts"

...said the Prime Minister as he furiously drew up his latest speech and plan using his newest set of crayons....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Wife does supermarket shopping every Saturday around 7pm. Never many there, no queues etc. Been going around this time for over a year. Lidl / Aldi / Tesco Wigan.

Brit15

My supermarket hours of duty are now 06.00 - 09.00 Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat, I normally do our shopping when I finish duty and there is seldom any congestion or queuing at 09.00,

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

While I get your point I'm not wholly convinced it's that smaller proportion of people that are completely irresponsible fools these days...

(Jeez I sound old!)

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, admiles said:

While I get your point I'm not wholly convinced it's that smaller proportion of people that are completely irresponsible fools these days...

(Jeez I sound old!)

There are a lot more people around for one thing, and for another it's much easier to see and hear about what people get up to compared with when you get the local paper and half an hour of local news, so I do think there's a good degree of observational bias. It's like driving - we notice the idiots, and even a short journey you stand a good chance of seeing one or two but you'll also pass hundreds of cars (doesn't take very long to encounter a hundred cars) who won't leave any sort of impression at all. But seeing idiocy on every journey you make gives an impression of it being more widespread than it is, and in between there's a lot of much more minor things that aren't terrible but fall short of perfect (which no-one is anyway).

Having said all that I'm tempted to agree that people are going downhill but I've never completely convinced myself that it's not just my cynicism at play there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

so I do think there's a good degree of observational bias

Spot-on, IMO.

People have always said and done things ranging from the wonderful to the idiotic, but the internet lifts a lot of lids that were closed before.

People are complicated and contradictory too: a bloke can be the most cheery, helpful and pleasant soul for miles around, but simultaneously a closed-minded racist, for instance. The same person can do wise and foolish things.

Added to which, empty vessels make the most sound in the Twitter/Facebook sphere.

’Nuf said for now, otherwise I’ll be accused of falling into that final bracket.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It'll be interesting to see what the repercussions of this are in a few weeks time. While not everyone is in the 'creme egg category' I can count twenty two on top of the bus, one more being hauled up the side and a further candidate on top of a pelican crossing, though it could be argued that at least he's trying to maintain social distance from the mob.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

It'll be interesting to see what the repercussions of this are in a few weeks time. While not everyone is in the 'creme egg category' I can count twenty two on top of the bus, one more being hauled up the side and a further candidate on top of a pelican crossing, though it could be argued that at least he's trying to maintain social distance from the mob.

I expect the experts are hoping the unwashed get infected sooner rather than later, the quicker everyone has antibodies the better and the quicker life will return to normal

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1