The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

In England surgeries were often used, at least a few months ago, my wife got both of hers at her local GP, as did many others judging by the numbers there when she got it done... They did them on weekends so as not to clash with the normal surgeries.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hobby said:

In England surgeries were often used, at least a few months ago, my wife got both of hers at her local GP, as did many others judging by the numbers there when she got it done... They did them on weekends so as not to clash with the normal surgeries.

Had mine in the local surgery, during the week. But after work, I don't know if they were doing them outside normal surgery hours though.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Hobby said:

That's how I got both of mine. About half the people I know round here, got theirs the same way, so the local Practice was making a big contribution to the roll-out in the area.

I think they are still doing some, mainly for people without cars who can't easily access out-of-town vaccination centres, but those (and some pop-ups) seem to have been carrying the main workload more recently.

Edited by Dunsignalling

Our local surgery has been a vaccination centre for the wider area, vaccinations have been carried out during both week days and weekends (not 7 days a week) as and when vaccine has been available. I think as the ages being vaccinated decreased times and days of the week may have altered to suite the patients. However not every doctors surgery's have been vaccination centres, also going online to book may only have been for the larger dedicated venues, we waited to be invited.   

I understand devolved countries have made their own arrangements, which may have differed from England.

• RMweb Premium

Ours was at the local community centre across the river from our surgery, but it was organised by three local surgeries (although all under the same group) and “policed” by the Lions*

*step out of line and you get your head bitten off :D

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Ours was at the local community centre across the river from our surgery, but it was organised by three local surgeries (although all under the same group) and “policed” by the Lions*

Ours was the same but one surgery appears to have committed far more resource to it than the other three surgery’s involved, and has  consequently been dire for patients trying to be seen for any other reason.
My wife is at the aforementioned one whereas I am at another and the difference in service has been like night and day.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Similar here, but with the local Rotary group instead. It worked very well for me, not quite so good for my wife as her second jab never got added to the system and the centre was closed when we turned up at the alloted time! Fortunately she was able to get it done as a walk-up at the other centre.

We have a local covid group run for the benefit of our community (initially set up to help those shielding) and one of the items done is provide volunteers for the local health centre on vaccination days.

I think it is now running down however there may be a permanent legacy , as plans are afoot for coffee mornings in the local church hall aimed at those who have been assisted but opened to all. Initially once a week for anyone wanting a bit of company and will evolve according to demand.

• Like 1

Twins just got their email to book second jab (Pfizer), bang on 8 weeks after their first. Both booked for next Thursday at our local jab centre.

Once again well done NHS

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/08/2021 at 19:20, Hobby said:

The damaged reputation is a much larger reason for the hesitancy that you seem to think. 

How on earth can you say that with any certainty?  No one knows what drives other peoples decisions apart from those people themselves. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2021 at 10:19, chris p bacon said:

It was noted in several African countries that Merkels first dose was AZ but the 2nd after clotgate was Moderna. That was seen as a lack of confidence in the AZ jab.

The reality is that the EU made the vaccine rollout a political football, from threatening to sue AZ to  claims of clotting it has definately damaged the vaccine rollout on a continent that would have benefited the most from the altruism of AZ. Now Africa will pay a high price in monetary and human terms for other vaccines.

The reality is the EU paused the rollout of AZ vaccine in the early days when the first cases of blood clotting started to occur. At that point no one knew how wide spread the clotting would be simply because there was no data available because the rollout had only just begun. Once there was a clearer picture they resumed using it.  Personally I call that prudence. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, admiles said:

How on earth can you say that with any certainty?  No one knows what drives other peoples decisions apart from those people themselves. 

True when it comes to individuals (without carefully interviewing them), but it's possible to gauge overall societal attitudes and reasons.

2 hours ago, admiles said:

Evidence in AZ take-up in other countries which African countries will look at and will use to make their judgements on which vaccine to order, first the EU and if you want more recent evidence look at Australia. Unfortunately the reluctance to use the AZ vaccine WILL cloud their judgment.

• RMweb Gold

The reality is the EU paused the rollout of AZ vaccine in the early days when the first cases of blood clotting started to occur. At that point no one knew how wide spread the clotting would be simply because there was no data available because the rollout had only just begun. Once there was a clearer picture they resumed using it.  Personally I call that prudence. 

The evidence of clotting across all the vaccines is similar but only AZ was paused. That’s not prudence, that’s politics. 

• Agree 8

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

True when it comes to individuals (without carefully interviewing them), but it's possible to gauge overall societal attitudes and reasons.

The trouble has always been once something has been said even if it proves to be untrue mud sticks. The behaviour of the EU and various politicians in some cases have been awful, plenty of legal threats all coming to nothing. 

However as far as Africa is concerned the situation is very complicated and logistics play a very big part in reaching anywhere away from the major cities, wars and local uprisings let alone violent gangs just make it even more complicated. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

The evidence of clotting across all the vaccines is similar but only AZ was paused. That’s not prudence, that’s politics. 

Swept under the carpet/accepted in many cases, plus delivery delays  from all but AZ has not been an issue, I think the American companies would not have taken as much flack as AZ took. 

7 hours ago, admiles said:

Here's some evidence from western Sydney.  

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/11/hundreds-queue-for-hours-and-some-camp-overnight-at-pop-up-vaccine-clinic-in-sydneys-lakemba

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That doesn’t appear to be quite right: this report suggests that while the clotting risk from AZ is tiny, it is different (and worse) than the risk from Pfizer. 

Doubtless there’ll be more research and a clearer picture will emerge. 

Paul

1 hour ago, Fenman said:

That doesn’t appear to be quite right: this report suggests that while the clotting risk from AZ is tiny, it is different (and worse) than the risk from Pfizer. 

Doubtless there’ll be more research and a clearer picture will emerge. 

Paul

Paul

I believe that Pfizer vaccine has other side effects. No medicine is 100% safe, most have side affects. The issue with the AZ vaccine was the way some countries jumped to conclusions prior to thorough investigations were concluded, which they have not done with other vaccines where side effects were also reported.

The chilling thing is now covid is now adversely affecting younger people more so than before, the risk of dying from covid  is still far greater than from vaccines. Clearly actions from some countries and politicians have needlessly fuelled the anti vaxers rhetoric  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

I believe that Pfizer vaccine has other side effects. No medicine is 100% safe, most have side affects. The issue with the AZ vaccine was the way some countries jumped to conclusions prior to thorough investigations were concluded, which they have not done with other vaccines where side effects were also reported.

I’m sure in time more will become known about the different side effects and different risks of all the vaccines.

In the meantime we’d all better hope that Pfizer is at least as good as AZ as our government has placed an order for another 35 million doses for next year’s booster campaign.

Paul