The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

Lanky - There are several books

image.png.ed72f00f15d6151535ae066abbae3f7a.png

image.png.0558379823f50a0dd6c992303406debc.png

Any road up - Covid - worrabawt these eytin masks - fair gradely orr wharr ? 

These two are definitely from south of Crewe !!

And finaly there's this this daft bu99er = I bet ee's a Yorkshiremon !!!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
Mask added !!
  • Funny 1

On 03/07/2021 at 10:54, woodenhead said:

I imagine that the press coverage is based on the imminent collapse of the holiday firms and airlines which cannot survive without covid furlough (about to go) or customers.  Likewise, the holiday resorts are themselves going to adjust to a new world and people are not travelling facilities will close leading to even less capacity.  Firms also sell ancilliary products for holidays, lotion, clothing etc, if people are not going on holiday they buy a lot less of the stuff.

Hi Woodenhead,

It does seem that it all this covid lark appears to be a combined form of cultural and economic asceticism.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday the Mrs and I went to a summer fair, around 750 people there that we could estimate, probably more but we erred on the low side, there were 2 marquees with some stalls inside but most were outside in the grounds of a country estate, few people were wearing a mask, no great social distancing - it was great to be out and amongst people,

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We went to Eden Camp last week, busy but plenty of mask wearing and the school kids were really well behaved, polite and moved for us (J was in her wheelchair). Very pleasent. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Hobby said:

We went to Eden Camp last week, busy but plenty of mask wearing and the school kids were really well behaved, polite and moved for us (J was in her wheelchair). Very pleasent. 

Just up the road from me, too.... :)

Edited by alastairq

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Yesterday the Mrs and I went to a summer fair, around 750 people there that we could estimate, probably more but we erred on the low side, there were 2 marquees with some stalls inside but most were outside in the grounds of a country estate, few people were wearing a mask, no great social distancing - it was great to be out and amongst people,

For many it will be a case having to learn/adapt how to cope with crowds and what levels of social interaction is available/acceptable.

At the end of the month we have been invited to a remembrance service for our old neighbour who died just before lockdown and was one of the first funerals where attendance was very limited, we had to watch via you tube.

My wife was quite wary initially getting mini panic attacks when wearing masks in enclosed areas, I think it will be a learning lesson for all of us, especially when dealing with others who may still feel uncomfortable. 

But this is part of moving away from lockdown and finding the new norm

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Hobby said:

I see, probably Yorkies for you lot! 

I never liked Yorkies, which probably explains while I never fulfilled my ambition to become a HGV driver.

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

For many it will be a case having to learn/adapt how to cope with crowds and what levels of social interaction is available/acceptable.

At the end of the month we have been invited to a remembrance service for our old neighbour who died just before lockdown and was one of the first funerals where attendance was very limited, we had to watch via you tube.

My wife was quite wary initially getting mini panic attacks when wearing masks in enclosed areas, I think it will be a learning lesson for all of us, especially when dealing with others who may still feel uncomfortable. 

But this is part of moving away from lockdown and finding the new norm

Getting back on Topic (ahem)

Whilst I will be glad to be without a mask when shopping I am also glad that the full opening up of pubs, clubs and suchlike will see off the remaining people ambling around the outdoors disturbing my peace and quiet in the countryside.

I don't go to football (haven't even watched one match in the Euros), I don't go to clubs, I don't go drinking in pubs and I don't like crowded seaside locations so I will be far from the madding crowds.  It's already been mused that exhibitions are going to be generally frequented by double jabbed individuals like myself and I like quiet places, so I should be relatively ok after the 19th July.

My wife and I will continue wearing our masks for sometime (months??) - especially in supermarkets and any other shops we "have " to visit - it's not worth the risk having come so far. 

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Boris is scrapping all restrictions,  masks etc yet expects new cases and deaths to double by the end of the month?!?

Seems we are being thrown under the bus here...

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Boris is scrapping all restrictions,  masks etc yet expects new cases and deaths to double by the end of the month?!?

Hi John,

Here is my guess:

1. Scrap restrictions.
  2. Have a spike in cases.
  3. Media induced public panic.
  4. Have another really harsh lock down in, very probably, late September to early October time.

Lets see what happens shall we ?

Gibbo.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

As I said earlier though (playing devils advocate with my cautious side), if it isnt safe to ease restrictions now when the significant majority have already had 2 jabs, when realistically will it be any better?

Hence my "holed up forever" comment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

But lets be realistic, we cannot get rid of Covid, it's here to stay and will cause deaths until it burns itself out into a harmless form.

The Government cannot continue borrowing indefinitely to keep people off work and neither can it afford the mental health impact of a long term covid induced fear of other people.

Some people will need to keep taking precautions, as other people have to with regard lifestyles, some will remain fearful and we all need to respect those fears but we cannot remain in a stasis neither in nor out of lockdown, we have to move forward.  If a more dangerous form of Covid emerges again then I agree the Government should look at restrictions again, but as things stand it is time to come out of the shadows once more and try and return to normal, if we don't we might never do so.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

25 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

So it’s herd immunity from this point on, then.

Scientifically, it has always been about herd immunity. The vaccines provide a fast pass but the only way out is a population that has enough natural resistance to keep infections and serious illness within 'normal' limits (i.e. those tolerated for other diseases). 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

We went to a local attraction for youngest grandson's 4th birthday yesterday. No great problem in the outside bits, but in the playbarn, which was a soft play area and clearly indoors. I was much less comfortable. A number of parents were unable to read the signs or memorise the rules and so were unmasked, puffing and blowing as they tried to keep up with small children.

If the "new normal", after 19th July, is that we generally do not need to wear masks, I think I shall become less inclined to go out in busy areas. Incidence of Covid is already increasing and is likely to increase further when the final restrictions are lifted. I shall make my own judgements about what is a sensible risk. I feel strongly about seeing grandchildren; on the other hand I do not need to go out for a drink or a meal. I can and shall continue to "click and collect" for shopping. These will be entirely personal assessments and judgements of the risks with which I am prepared to live. Covid remains an extremely unpleasant illness, and even those who have been double jabbed do not seem to be immune.  

I am afraid that, even as a one-time Conservative voter, I have very little confidence in the current regime and will continue to make my own assessments.

I am also extremely grateful to those who perform "essential services", who have less choice than I do about the risks that they take.   

Best wishes 

Eric          

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Not sure what side you were watching (if at all of course) but there was an explanation of the imminent lift of restrictions by gov scientist that they are hoping the spike will coincide with the school holidays resulting in a natural break, and any major spike will be before the onset of the expected flu cases which will be inevitable this year, thus keeping the hospital admissions under control, I didn’t like the early lifting but the scientific reasons make sense.  That’s the basic reason but I am sure I have missed a lot of the detail explained.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

neither can it afford the mental health impact of a long term covid induced fear of other people.

Which is exactly what today's announcement will cause!

• Agree 2