The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

6 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

It wasn’t the whole process though surely, just one particular testing lab?

Yes, one lab, as I stated in my post. But there are other similar labs that were set up based on the same design, using the same equipment. Would they have the same issues?

Even one lab having these problems is a concern given the numbers of tests they process.

Edited by admiles

55 minutes ago, admiles said:

Well in this case the weakest link is rendering the results of the testing highly inaccurate to the point of being useless.  Worth finding the program on catch-up if you haven't seen it.

I saw the program, it was one lab and whether all the technicians are as bad is open for debate. If it was correct it would not have made the tele

We saw those photos from the demonstration which made a few folk comment adversely on the police handling, once all the facts were checked it was a completely different story, with the police being far more restrained than anyone of us would have been under that provocation.

There are employees in a lot/most companies doing things against the companies instructions,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

as I said some reports its linked to younger women, possibly using contraception.

According to my wife, a common side effect of hormonal contraception is an increased risk of blood clots - apparently this isn't well advertised. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

According to my wife, a common side effect of hormonal contraception is an increased risk of blood clots - apparently this isn't well advertised. 

I think this was particularly true of the first products, in the mid-60s, with the race to be first and make the £ killing. The low-dosage variety, which came later, was supposed to reduce the risk. It may be that the Covid vaccine offsets this advantage. 

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Nick

Blood clots are quite common, I and my sister both had blood clots on the lungs (PE's) I was told by the haematologist, most people suffer blood clots in their legs, but they stay there. My sister and me have a condition called sticky blood (well this is the layman's name) opposite to a haemophiliac.

There is a real mystery how medicines react differently with some rather than others, then there is the fact people will suffer illnesses or diseases after taking medicine which are nothing to do with the medicine they took, just coincidence

At the end of the day, humanity needed vaccines against covid ASAP, we must expect some people will have reactions to it. However many millions of people will suffer no ill and be protected against a far more easily contractible and possibly fatal disease .

As for long covid, I have been in hospital twice in 10 years, firstly after only 7 days in hospital, it took me quite some time to get back some form of fitness, likewise the second time I had to take it easy for 7 weeks prior to having some stents fitted then had to rest for another 2 weeks, these things take time to recover from, with covid messing about with peoples organs its no wonder it takes a long time to recover, and then not possibly fully

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, admiles said:

Yes, one lab, as I stated in my post. But there are other similar labs that were set up based on the same design, using the same equipment. Would they have the same issues?

Even one lab having these problems is a concern given the numbers of tests they process.

OK...but I thought it was the result of an employee/employees doing the process wrong, rather than the actual physical process being at fault?

Interesting piece in the Telegraph today about the Dutch Helix vaccine factory and how in April last year the UK funded £21 million so the factory could alter its infrastructure produce vaccines for us. According to the article the Dutch government were invited to join in, but declined to join in. An EU official checked for any funding from them, but could not find any trace. I guess in one way the Oxford vaccine was not a dead cert then and it was part of the UK scatter gun approach to acquire vaccines for us. Plus we seem to be reaping the rewards from other investments and orders elsewhere and the products from the factory are saving lives 

It also report that Sir John Bell a leading professor associated the Oxford vaccine has said dealing with the EU has been a nightmare, such a shame when Oxford, Astra Zeneca and the UK have been so generous in making it widely available on an "at cost basis" . Still if nothing else comes from the Oxford vaccine, it will protect many millions across Europe and the rest of the world

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-56611274

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Seemingly its not just the Oxford AV vaccine that is having a little trouble

There are also doubts about the effectiveness of the Russian vaccine. Argentina's President Alberto Fernández on Saturday tweeted he had tested positive for the coronavirus, despite receiving the Sputnik V vaccine in January.

A wake up call for taking care after being vaccinated

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, hayfield said:

There are also doubts about the effectiveness of the Russian vaccine. Argentina's President Alberto Fernández on Saturday tweeted he had tested positive for the coronavirus, despite receiving the Sputnik V vaccine in January.

I am saying nothing.........it’ll get deleted :lol:

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, hayfield said:

But the vaccines don't stop infection, they just reduce it's impact on the body.

They probably shouldn't call them vaccines, it gives the impression of being invulnerable to Covid, you're not hence why Boris still doesn't want people mixing indoors even if all have had both vaccine does.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I am saying nothing.........it’ll get deleted :lol:

I was just making the point that just because we have been vaccinated it does not mean we are all fully vaccinated

Rightly the authorities are looking at the Oxford AZ in relationship to these blood clots, very few medicines are free from all risks, however small they are, but covid is known to affect platelets in the blood.

As for the Sputnik vaccine, its needs to be authorised like all  other vaccines properly, however as we have seen time is of the essence

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Does not surprise me.

We did not go down this route as I think a lot of European researchers found the deactivated virus vaccines useless against SARS hence the Oxford research which lead to the OAZ vaccine.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The unwanted side-effects of vaccines continue to plague many still weighing up the risks. While France is miles behind UK in vaccinating - 9m against 36m total first and second injections - it has provided some data on the very, very small % of patients who have suffered a reverse as a result of being vaccinated. And no, AZ is not the leading bad boy.

Pfizer has the "worst" result, 7m injections, with 0.6% of patients suffering a bad result, and 0.138% being serious. AZ, despite the brickbats hurled at it, has injected 1.9m, of which 0.38% caused problems, and 0.098% are serious. Moderna has already been injected 600,00 times, with 0.09% and 0.0153% respectively. 

As I said a while back, read the Patient Leaflet for any med you are prescribed and you will find that one person in a million will have their head fall off, or similar dire side-effect. These vaccines seem to me to be doing rather well, frankly. If you get the offer - take the jab!

Fully concur, because one of my regular meds may trigger a very rare serious reaction I am advised not to eat grapefruit. As a result I don't deliberately eat it, but I suspect I may have had the odd bit of cross-contamination in fruit salads.

I am also allergic to Quorn, one that isn't generally known about, and have had the occasional adverse reaction after eating from a buffet when I forgot to ask if any of the nibbles were Quorn and it wasn't labelled as such. Why mention this - people with reactions to Quorn are a low % across the tonnes of it sold, not sure the packets even carry an allergy warning [they didn't].

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if there are any statistics as to how many people have had the vaccine, and subsequently been hit by a bus? Probably just as many as have had blood clots, but of course it doesn't suggest a causal link...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, john new said:

Fully concur, because one of my regular meds may trigger a very rare serious reaction I am advised not to eat grapefruit. As a result I don't deliberately eat it, but I suspect I may have had the odd bit of cross-contamination in fruit salads.

I am also allergic to Quorn, one that isn't generally known about, and have had the occasional adverse reaction after eating from a buffet when I forgot to ask if any of the nibbles were Quorn and it wasn't labelled as such. Why mention this - people with reactions to Quorn are a low % across the tonnes of it sold, not sure the packets even carry an allergy warning [they didn't].

The only ever one time I ate quorn in a meal the next day I had a pain in my side and in the afternoon my appendix burst and I was blue lighted to A&E........sooooo f******g painful.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

10* deaths yesterday according to the Government figures.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

* Note for those who don't check periodically, these figures are normally lower at weekends due to the way the data is captured and reported but over the last few weeks the spike after the weekend has been considerably flatter so the figures for the next few days are going to be interesting and the trend is rapidly downwards.

Edited by beast66606
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The unwanted side-effects of vaccines continue to plague many still weighing up the risks. While France is miles behind UK in vaccinating - 9m against 36m total first and second injections - it has provided some data on the very, very small % of patients who have suffered a reverse as a result of being vaccinated. And no, AZ is not the leading bad boy.

Pfizer has the "worst" result, 7m injections, with 0.6% of patients suffering a bad result, and 0.138% being serious. AZ, despite the brickbats hurled at it, has injected 1.9m, of which 0.38% caused problems, and 0.098% are serious. Moderna has already been injected 600,00 times, with 0.09% and 0.0153% respectively. 

As I said a while back, read the Patient Leaflet for any med you are prescribed and you will find that one person in a million will have their head fall off, or similar dire side-effect. These vaccines seem to me to be doing rather well, frankly. If you get the offer - take the jab!

& how do those risks compare with those catching the virus & developing serious symptoms? Quite favourably.

No medication is entirely without risk but all Covid vaccines are doing a lot more good than harm.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

10* deaths yesterday according to the Government figures.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

* Note for those who don't check periodically, these figures are normally lower at weekends due to the way the data is captured and reported but over the last few weeks the spike after the weekend has been considerably flatter so the figures for the next few days are going to be interesting and the trend is rapidly downwards.

If you just google 'uk covid deaths', you get data which you can investigate a bit better. It includes a 7 day average, which is much less affected by daily peaks & troughs. You can also zoom in to see the last 7 /14/30 days. The 7 day average for the UK has been dropping steadily since late Jan, which is good. You can also view different countries, which is interesting.

It reveals that the '3rd wave' the media keeps banging on about does not actually exist, but the countries allegedly suffering from this have seen little progress battling their second wave.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm GCR station imitation meat. To me it looks disgusting, vat grown mould.

As to jabs any of the modern vaccines should be good. Just the deactivated ones do not seem to work that well.

I am pleased though that OAZ is being produced world wide as it is so much better than the old style vaccines.

• Agree 1