BNSF Paint in the UK

Evening, 

Looking for the closest possible match for BNSF Warbonnet paint.  Need silver and the red to allow me to paint handrails etc... from a older Genesis model. 

Can anyone help with a reasonably close match. 

Cheers 

So, BNSF Warbonnet is actually SF Warbonnet being either a heritage scheme or a patched unit from the merger, so searching for SF colours may provide more help.

This thread from last month has 2 paint charts for matching colours to some brands, they both have a SF Red that may be what you are looking for.

Edited by mdvle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

So, BNSF Warbonnet is actually SF Warbonnet being either a heritage scheme or a patched unit from the merger, so searching for SF colours may provide more help.

This thread from last month has 2 paint charts for matching colours to some brands, they both have a SF Red that may be what you are looking for.

Thanks for this. Most useful.  It's a SD75I, not sure how you tell the difference between heritage and patched. Something else to research 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

Thanks for this. Most useful.  It's a SD75I, not sure how you tell the difference between heritage and patched. Something else to research 

Cheers 

In theory they should be the same (and that's assuming BNSF did any heritage warbonnets, I'm not that familiar with the BNSF).

But if it's a SD75i then I would guess it's a patch as the heritage stuff has tended to be on newer stuff given it really has been something that has happened in the last decade - think ES44 units or SD70ACe's.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Either I suppose. Just need to paint the steel grab rails

Cheers

If you can wait till the lockdown is lifted take the body shell down to a games workshop store, Citadel paints have a big range of acrylic colors and washes you will find a match from.  They are mostly small pots, but the popular colors are also available in rattle cans. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mech Models stock Badger Accuflex (acrylic) railroad paints while N Scale American Trains stock Tru Color (lacquer) railroad paints. In both cases if the colour isnt listed on their website they can order it in. Both ranges are v thin out of the bottle so as to be ready to airbrush.

Model Railroad Hobbyist on-line magazine did a free guide a while back when Pollyscale paint was discontinued using the likes of Vallejo and Tamiya to get matches to the Pollyscale range. Their "recipe" for Warbonnet colours was:

Santa Fe Red: 2pts Vallejo Model Air 71.003 to 1 pt Vallejo Model Air 71.102

Santa Fe Yellow: Vallejo Model Air 71.002

NB: Santa Fe Yellow and BNSF Yellow are not the same colour!

For silver, from memory the Athearn colour is quite light so some sort of aluminium colour would be close.

The main issue in matching paint is, and you may have found this already, line 3 locos up in the same scheme from say, Atlas, Genesis and Scaletrains and they will all be different shades so if you are after an exact match it might be a case of getting a mid-yellow, mid-red, orange and white and mix your own.

Cheers

Dan