Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

I suggest that Rapido do a generic 4-6-0 kettle, let's be honest they all look the same so with a single model they could cover the Royal Scots, Patriots, B17, Castles, King's, Lord Nelson, that Highland thing and much else. Obviously the tooling would need to smart enough to allow for a safety valve bonnet for the GWR stuff. For the streamlined B17 just stick a Mallard body on a 4-6-0 chassis. This could be what design clever was always meant to be, smart modelling.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I suggest that Rapido do a generic 4-6-0 kettle, let's be honest they all look the same so with a single model they could cover the Royal Scots, Patriots, B17, Castles, King's, Lord Nelson, that Highland thing and much else. Obviously the tooling would need to smart enough to allow for a safety valve bonnet for the GWR stuff. For the streamlined B17 just stick a Mallard body on a 4-6-0 chassis. This could be what design clever was always meant to be, smart modelling.

Exactly, definitely one for the collector's market 👍😂

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Exactly, definitely one for the collector's market 👍😂

With some additional tweaks we could sell it without the tender as a generic 0-6-0 tank, nobody will notice the front bogie, the potential is almost limitless!

Edited by jjb1970
  • Funny 3

To complement the current range in oo gauge

Vaa/vba/oba/oca using oaa chassis 

Thomas hill/ vanguard 0-4-0 shunter

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 pla class locomotive 

Lsbc/secr 100 seater coach, 54 foot birdcage coaches, elephant van

Ger wagons, w&u brake van 16, brake van 

Ner coaches possibly birdcage brake, wagons and brake van 

Cr class 439 or dock tank if suitable drawings are available and brake van

Lnwr 2-4-2 tank engine, brake van maybe the observation saloon that is on the bluebell railway

Lms 2f 0-6-0 locomotive 

Gwr China clay wagons, rectank

Met Chesham set for met 1 that is preserved on the bluebell railway met brake van

Using the current and announce models 

Gwr passange train pack using class 44xx and b set

Gwr freight pack using 44xx and gwr open and open c and toad brake van

Industrial freight pack

Mw l class, cr van, lnwr van, 5 or 7 pank open or other wagons possible fictional livery set 

Secr 01 freight set in secr, Sr, br livery

Some far off ideas

The Middleton railway coaches for y7, and mw l class

Merica in oo gauge

If o gauge ever happens

Lner y7 locomotive, mw l class locomotive, the 5 and 7 plank po wagons and brake van 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Redkiterail said:

Lnwr 2-4-2 tank engine, brake van maybe the observation saloon that is on the bluebell railway

Lms 2f 0-6-0 locomotive 

Met Chesham set for met 1 that is preserved on the bluebell railway met brake van

Industrial freight pack

Mw l class, cr van, lnwr van, 5 or 7 pank open or other wagons possible fictional livery set 

Some far off ideas

Merica in oo gauge

If o gauge ever happens

Lner y7 locomotive, mw l class locomotive, the 5 and 7 plank po wagons and brake van 

Is that all? 😄 

You seem to have forgotten the Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway 0-2-0 "Hero" in TT120....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Redkiterail said:

SECR Long Ten too please.  Choice of body construction too if I'm not mistaken (don't have me book with me 😂), match board and smooth sided... or whatever it's called 🤷

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Is that all? 😄 

You seem to have forgotten the Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway 0-2-0 "Hero" in TT120....

Well it's a start at least and a bit for everyone too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

SECR Long Ten too please.  Choice of body construction too if I'm not mistaken (don't have me book with me 😂), match board and smooth sided... or whatever it's called 🤷

Choice of three body styles actually .... two survive on the Bluebell - but not the matchboard variant.

Needless to say someone will announce these RTR when my two scratch-aid-built ones get closer to completion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Choice of three body styles actually .... two survive on the Bluebell - but not the matchboard variant.

Do they share the same undergubbins / chassis?

16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... someone will announce these RTR when my two scratch-aid-built ones get closer to completion.

Hurry up then 😜

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Do they share the same undergubbins / chassis?

No, each coach has its own - as you'll see when they run together ! 🙄 ............. seriously, though there were different builders involved, the chassis seem to be the same throughout - though they were NOT the same as those of the final flush-sided trio sets ( contrary to published statements - sorry, Mike ).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Generic kettle already exists. Modular build - they all look the same, but some have more wheels, some have bunkers instead of tenders. The Great Western Railway.

Choose your wheelset, choose your bunker/tender and away you go. 

The point of why there aren't generic locos is because generally our interest is in the big, noisy, smelly thing at the front. What it pulls around is secondary. 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Redkiterail said:

- Thomas hill/ vanguard 0-4-0 shunter

- Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 pla class locomotive

- Cr class 439 or dock tank if suitable drawings are available and brake van

- Gwr China clay wagons, rectank

- Merica in oo gauge

Good call on these. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Redkiterail said:

Lms 2f 0-6-0 locomotive 

Industrial freight pack

Some far off ideas

Merica in oo gauge

If o gauge ever happens

This is a well thought out list based on what would complement existing Rapido models. I doubt we’ll see all of them but maybe one or two. 
At least it has moved us on from the previous off-topic generic discussion!

And I like the suggestions of a move into O gauge, though I appreciate that market conditions are challenging. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The 7mm thing was dipped into by Rapido. Sadly, the proposed J70 didn't progress due to a lack of take up when we were asked to express an interest. Would have been a cracker and I certainly expressed an interest....well, several as it happens. 

Returning to 4mm, would be splendid if the Drewery/ 04 resurfaced but picking up on the last update, that depends on the drawings, information, etc, coming to light. Fingers crossed. 

East Anglia/ Great Eastern Raikway, in general seems to be gathering followers so yes, a bit of stock specific to the area would be good. From a branchline point of view, a GER 2.4.2T would be fab as would an E4 2.4.0. 

Who knows but good to speculate..

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

"The point of why there aren't generic locos is because generally our interest is in the big, noisy, smelly thing at the front. What it pulls around is secondary. "

My interest is wagons and coaching stock. Locos are things you have so you don't put sweat marks on your rolling stock by having to push them.

My interest is GWR and I cannot help but feeling that a couple of GWR 4 wheel coaches would sell very well indeed, especially given the forthcoming RTR 517.

Rapido is not a company that seems inclined towards freelance model, I for one hope things stay that way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Craigw said:

My interest is GWR and I cannot help but feeling that a couple of GWR 4 wheel coaches would sell very well indeed, especially given the forthcoming RTR 517.

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.  But, please, no balloon ends!

There might be a case to be made for generic models of early locos and stock, even in ficticious liveries.  I'm thinking the 1830-60 period, which has many advantages to modellers, not least that one can model fairly short trains, and turntables/sector plates, stub points, traversers, and other such space-saving devices were common at stations.  A lot of real railways in that period bought off the peg from outside contractors, so very similar locos appeared on different railways; Jennies, Burys, Cramptons, Sharpies, Stephenson Long Boilers & such, and locos were sold on to other railways quite frequently.  Same goes for coaches and wagons.  Quite a few of the smaller railways ran locos and stock in whatever livery the contractor had delivered them in, mostly green with red frames, and brown or varnished wood for the coaches.  And loads of brass and copper to polish up!

• Like 3