Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Seaniom said:

Please would you consider Bulleid tavern cars they are so interesting! 

Tavern Coach Exterior.jpg

...and several variations over the years to keep us busy.

Not for me personally, but these would sell by the bucket load, could be sold separately or as two set, Dia. 2663/4 and the later jobbies, Dia. 2665/8?

Go on, go on, go on!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

On the subject of coaches. As Rapido has produced the Metropolitan E class locomotive what about the Metropolitan Pullman coaches?

Ah, was that the good old days when there was a First Class section on the Underground?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

More likely to suit a manufacturer already producing 63' Bulleid coaches.

If only they were ACTUALLY PRODUCING 63' Bulleid coaches, rather than just sitting on the tooling. :-(

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

If only they were ACTUALLY PRODUCING 63' Bulleid coaches, rather than just sitting on the tooling. :-(

Exactly!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

More likely to suit a manufacturer already producing 63' Bulleid coaches.

True but the fact that they came in pairs might be enough to convince another manufacturer to dip their toes into Bullied coaching stock.  I don't think it matters if there's duplication either, it's down to accuracy, quality and price at the end of the day.  Oh and actually being able to buy the things 🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Yeah. I want some BR green ones, too.

And the BRCW-built diagrams, and loose BCKs, and Tavern Cars....😁

TBF, though Bachmann has tooled more versions this time round than they ever did with their original ones, and most are still obtainable with a bit of searching.

That said, given the gap between crimson/cream and maroon Thompsons, my breath is not being held for "Blue Box" product....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The GWR diagram 013 china clay wagon would be appreciated by many I'm sure.

And later 10ft wheelbase wagons for the clay liner please! All sort of variety there… 

• Like 2

I've referred to it before a few pages back but I'd like to propose a few more industrial steam locos for Rapido's future consideration... As we've now got a Hunslet and a Manning Wardle as part of the Rapido range, it would be only logical to complete the Leeds 'set'...

Starting with Kitson - although the Titfield Thunderbolt 'Lion' is of course a product of Todd, Kitson & Laird, and it's extremely temping to ask for the gorgeous LH&JC 2, now resident on the NYMR, I think a more realistic choice might be one of the Stewarts & Lloyds Kitsons, or their Manning Wardle predecessors.

Manning Wardle 1317 Rhiwnant was one of a pair of 15" 'specials' (alongside 1316) sold second-hand to Stewarts and Lloyds in 1912... the design was so succesful that three 16" examples were ordered from MW before 1925 (MW1762, 2009 and 2010), and then another 7 from Kitson (who'd taken over MW's goodwill and designs when MW folded) between 1933-36. After Kitson went bust, a further five of the same design were ordered from RSH.

Kitsons 5469 Conway, 5470 Colwyn and 5474 Carnarvon survive into preservation, and given that the S&L network holds semi-legendary status amongst industrial railway enthusiasts, I think they'd be a great choice (to be followed of course by RSH 'Uglies'!). The number of locos produced and the number surviving into preservation means a good range of liveries and identities would be possible!

Images of Colwyn below, borrowed from preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.co.uk and all copyright to the photograhpers credited!

kitson-5470-at-sheringham-on-the-north-norfolk-railway-august-1975.webp.070e5a2b5039e2b7b9b28426004ffe0f.webp
k-5470-at-corby-sl-minerals-circa-1969.jpg.409537d75a0ff890fa223dc940b1a2f9.jpg

In addition, OO gauge is long overdue a good Hudswell Clarke.
Whilst there are plenty of tempting options, I'd like to propose either the PLA type which was designed for the Port of London Authority but also found popularity with the NCB, the classic Hudswell 0-6-0ST as per Derek Crouch  and Wissington, or an example of HC1704 Nunlow, which I believe is the same design as Samuel Fox 20 Jennifer.
1704-nunlow-at-ingrow-west-on-the-kwvr-march-2018.jpg.19375f0e79e444441af14a795a699bfe.jpg

^1704 Nunlow

hc1821plancb140embsey(1).jpg.1a0125e55e3141aab6fbbe9a02aed0d0.jpg
^ Photo of NCB 140 (c) Kris Ward/found on leodis.co.uk

hudswell-clarke-1539.jpg.f9f39b70e21c1ce1f8c3a640cb38b45b.jpg

A classic Hudswell design, 0-6-0ST Derek Crouch

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2024 at 15:36, Tim Dubya said:

...and several variations over the years to keep us busy.

Not for me personally, but these would sell by the bucket load, could be sold separately or as two set, Dia. 2663/4 and the later jobbies, Dia. 2665/8?

Go on, go on, go on!

Three physical combinations, plus livery variations:

Original Tavern + original Restaurant, crimson / cream with mock brickwork on Tavern

As above minus the brickwork

Original Tavern + rebuilt Restaurant,  crimson / cream, from 1950.

As above, in BR green, from 1956

Rebuilt restaurant + rebuilt Tavern, BR green, from 1959.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Some background on the Tavern Cars in relation to The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll...

Over the years - and for many valid reasons - we have listed the Tavern Car sets either 'individually' (as one of the three incarnations) or 'aggregated' (all three as one listing to vote upon).

The 1949 and 1959 sets have tended to be High Polling with the 1951 sets in Middle Polling. In 2019, however, all were High Polling with not much between them.

In 2022 - the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas this year - we had them 'aggregated', and they went into The Top 50 at overall position =32.

For 2024, they will be listed individually once again.

Brian (on behalf of the 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Kitsons 5469 Conway, 5470 Colwyn and 5474 Carnarvon survive into preservation, and given that the S&L network holds semi-legendary status amongst industrial railway enthusiasts, 

Images of Colwyn below, borrowed from preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.co.uk and all copyright to the photograhpers credited!

kitson-5470-at-sheringham-on-the-north-norfolk-railway-august-1975.webp.070e5a2b5039e2b7b9b28426004ffe0f.webp
In addition, OO gauge is long overdue a good Hudswell Clarke.
Whilst there are plenty of tempting options, I'd like to propose either the PLA type which was designed for the Port of London Authority but also found popularity with the NCB, the classic Hudswell 0-6-0ST as per Derek Crouch  and Wissington, or an example of HC1704 Nunlow, which I believe is the same design as Samuel Fox 20 Jennifer.
1704-nunlow-at-ingrow-west-on-the-kwvr-march-2018.jpg.19375f0e79e444441af14a795a699bfe.jpg

^1704 Nunlow

I would bankrupt myself on a pre-order of 5470 Colwyn. Do it Rapido!

Another vote of support for Hudswell Clarke - have campaigned here previously for MSC no.67 - a long tank, due to the Railway Children. But given my current investments in PLA, PBA and other port locos (including a Port of Par set pre-order!) the PLA type would also win a pre-order from me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I would bankrupt myself on a pre-order of 5470 Colwyn. Do it Rapido!

Another vote of support for Hudswell Clarke - have campaigned here previously for MSC no.67 - a long tank, due to the Railway Children. But given my current investments in PLA, PBA and other port locos (including a Port of Par set pre-order!) the PLA type would also win a pre-order from me.

Yeah great shout with the MSC tank - I wonder how difficult it would be to tool both the long and short tank versions if the chassis is identical  and the cab, smoke box and I imagine a few other bits are the same? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Please no more made up stuff there is enough of it about!

Is there? The dramatic success of Hattons first run, and the continued concerns about when Rails will have the second run available for sale says there is a lot of demand, much unfulfilled, right now. 

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Seeing as Hattons is no more and there is unlikely to be any more of their generic coaches would Rapido consider their own range of generic coaches? 

Rails now own the tooling so I'd imagine there will be more?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is there? The dramatic success of Hattons first run, and the continued concerns about when Rails will have the second run available for sale says there is a lot of demand, much unfulfilled, right now. 

I am sort of kicking myself that I never got any, I would have loved to have got some to use as workmen's coaches for a colliery layout, they look far better in detail than the Red Boxed ones.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, alexl102 said:

Rails now own the tooling so I'd imagine there will be more?

Noone has owned up to owning the tooling yet. Rails have explicitly stated they don't.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Noone has owned up to owning the tooling yet. Rails have explicitly stated they don't.

Have you asked Keir Starmer?  Apparently his father was a tool maker but I couldn't possibly comment on that 🤔😉

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5