Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

Very pleased the wait for a U Class is seemingly at an end ... although nothing is certain just yet.

As stated by myself and others the wheelbase lends itself to the U1s and Ks and with the smaller wheels the W Class, so plenty of scope here. Something akin to the Royal Scot, Jubilee and Patriot classes of the LMS.

If they don't appear I think I will divert future spending on model trains to increased investment in the brewing industry.

As Father Jack so rightly said: "Drink!!!"

Glenn

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

On 28/06/2024 at 21:55, No Decorum said:

I take your point and I’d like a River but I’m just wondering if it would be too great a commercial risk for Rapido. Oh heck, gimme a Met K Class too. Part of the family and superb looking machines.

... and Met K class became the LNER L2 class

• Like 1

Good morning mattingleycustom,

Don't forget that Father Jack also said @rse and feck, which is probably what my credit card will scream if these do see the light of day 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How about a North Stafford "New L" 0-6-2 Tank?

Pros.

1) Despite the North Stafford being a relatively small, land locked railway thanks to their strategic location and connections to other bigger neighbouring railways, they got extensive running rights which saw the railway's locos and stock running into Derby, Llandudno, Crewe, Stafford, Manchester and as far south as Wolverhampton.  For freight they even got to the Great Northern and central in Nottingham, so the North Stafford livery could easily be justified by Midland, LNWR and GC/GN modellers with very few penalty points on their modeller's licence.

2) One still exists, albeit not quite kosher as it is believed to be a cut and shut of two locos rebuilt during industrial use.

3) The last few, including the survivor, were built just after the LMS took over but outshopped in NSR livery.

4) When the LMS decided to eradicate non-standard classes they were sold on to industrial use (eventually passing to the NCB) and one made it to the Longmoor Military Railway, giving other livery and modelling opportunities.

5) The original NSR livery is an attractive scheme and in LMS days they carried various versions of the freight black livery, but some ran in LMS days in NSR livery without the North Stafford branding, giving a nice collection of colours for collectors.

6) The NSR isn't a railway which is likely to feature in the plans of other manufacturers so it would be a good and unexpected move to do the type given your development of more niche, unusual types.

Cons

1) The NSR isn't a big railway company and many will moan about why a small railway has been prioritised over the bigger companies like the LNWR or Midland

2) Relatively short life on the mainline although they did stay around until the 1960s in industrial use.

3) That's it.

Discuss...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

... albeit not quite kosher as it is believed to be a cut and shut of two locos rebuilt during industrial use. ...

How many surviving locos don't include at least some components from elsewhere ......... admittedly it's normal for such hybrids to carry the identity of the loco from which the frames came - though that's far from universal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

How many surviving locos don't include at least some components from elsewhere ......... admittedly it's normal for such hybrids to carry the identity of the loco from which the frames came - though that's far from universal.

Quite true of course, Flying Moneypit is the proverbial Trigger's broom, but from what I can see NSR No.2 seems to be a bit more of a cut and shut job but despite that, it is an attractive and rare item which would be a nice and quirky model which could appeal to collectors, Rule 1 applicants and even those of us who prefer our steam LNWR shaped.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

The most extreme case must be one of the preserved Black Fives, though I forget which one.

When stripped for restoration, it was found to incorporate parts stamped with over two dozen numbers, including different ones on each of the frames and one bogie wheelset from an 8F, the other from an Ivatt 2MT tank. 

• Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The most extreme case must be one of the preserved Black Fives, though I forget which one.

When stripped for restoration, it was found to incorporate parts stamped with over two dozen numbers, including different ones on each of the frames and one bogie wheelset from an 8F, the other from an Ivatt 2MT tank. 

Clearly demonstrating the advantages of standardisation!

• Agree 6

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

... found to incorporate parts stamped with over two dozen numbers, including different ones on each of the frames ...

Makes you wonder how they justified the cost of such a major reconstruction when one of the locos must've been a complete write off already and the other so far gone that it needed a 'new' frame !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Wickham Green too said:

Makes you wonder how they justified the cost of such a major reconstruction when one of the locos must've been a complete write off already and the other so far gone that it needed a 'new' frame !

IIRC, quite a lot was down to things like wheels and bits of motion, I suspect wherever it was "overhauled" had accumulated enough serviceable bits from previous jobs to almost make a whole engine!

Where another loco had been completely reframed, and one was judged to be serviceable/repairable, I suspect it might have been retained for use on a loco that only needed one that side.

Thing that would interest me is that, unless one of the two frames was retained, what number would one put on the repaired loco....?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

London Transports RT buses are a good example of 'mix and match' overhaul. Except for those that were withdrawn early such as the none standard Craven bodied examples some retain very little beyond the bonnet number. This was due to them being completely rebuilt at Aldenham every 5-7 years. It was not unknown for a bus going into Aldenham to meet its doppelganger coming out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

The train from the up coming Wicked movie please 😎 I think this is whacky enough for Rapido 😜 I thought it was CGI but they actually built it, 16 tonnes apparently 

FB_IMG_1722085854222.jpg.3821a33a7edfb9aa115eeb46403ea13f.jpg

Why ?????

CJI.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

The train from the up coming Wicked movie please 😎 I think this is whacky enough for Rapido 😜 I thought it was CGI but they actually built it, 16 tonnes apparently 

Looks like the inside of an old Airfix GMR tender drive - they had a thing for gears did Airfix.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Hello GreenGiraffe22

I think I will have to put that on the agenda for The Quirky Poll 2025.🙂

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

I know I'm asking a bit much as my last request was for an Open C which has now become reality, but is there any chance of W1/W5 Cattle wagons and maybe some of the later W8, W10 and W12 variants, the W1 and W5 would probably be the best starting point given that could cover a vast era from pre grouping to nationalistaion.

• Like 1

• Rapido staff

Here's a question from us - what do you think would be an acceptable RRP for a OO cattle wagon?

They are a bit tricky as they are larger than opens but also require interiors.

So far our usual price for a 16ft wagon has been £32.95 with larger (like the fish vans) or more complex (like the Caley vans) designs being a few pounds more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Here's a question from us - what do you think would be an acceptable RRP for a OO cattle wagon?

They are a bit tricky as they are larger than opens but also require interiors.

So far our usual price for a 16ft wagon has been £32.95 with larger (like the fish vans) or more complex (like the Caley vans) designs being a few pounds more.

A competitors GWR cattle van, with at least a decade old moulding , has a rrp of 30 sheets so your £33 seems in the ballpark to me.

• Agree 2