Tarnhouse (Hallbankgate) Brampton Rly circa 1947

Yes. it really needs editing. It was the guys first attempt at making moving recordings.

Does give a different aspect, especially of the operator!

Feedback about your layout has been fantastic from lots of people.

You have made a big impression on so many of them, as the did the exhibition in general.

The problem now is trying to do as well next year with visiting layouts, which is not going to be easy.

1 hour ago, SteamAle said:

Yes. it really needs editing. It was the guys first attempt at making moving recordings.

Does give a different aspect, especially of the operator!

Feedback about your layout has been fantastic from lots of people.

You have made a big impression on so many of them, as the did the exhibition in general.

The problem now is trying to do as well next year with visiting layouts, which is not going to be easy.

I have a FB group; Ian Blenk's Model Railways and Musings if you want to see other stuff. I don't expect I'm allowed to broadcast that on here. Glad HBG got a good reception very flattering!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Why's that, Ian?

Well, I used to work with the guy. He kept grabbing the rolling stock on the layout and was very insistent that he filmed the model, just rude really. That is one of the reasons I don't like exhibiting.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hmm. There's nobody I worked with that I think I'd let near my layout! I hope the rest of the people you worked with weren't all like him!

I must admit he did seem full of himself. It was very much 'look at what I can do' as if he was the only person that had ever done it. He also wanted to put them up on the big screen. Pleased in some respects that it failed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteamAle said:

Hmm. There's nobody I worked with that I think I'd let near my layout! I hope the rest of the people you worked with weren't all like him!

I must admit he did seem full of himself. It was very much 'look at what I can do' as if he was the only person that had ever done it. He also wanted to put them up on the big screen. Pleased in some respects that it failed. 

It's difficult, because they pay to come in and I think some have unrealistic expectations. I'm pleased to say that 99.99% of my ex colleagues are excellent folk!

• Like 1

I like that a lot, especially as I have just dug out an Avonside of sorts that I started building and am on with creating a GWR 517 out of a 14XX.

Could you please tell me how you achieved the beading around the splashers?

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like that a lot, especially as I have just dug out an Avonside of sorts that I started building and am on with creating a GWR 517 out of a 14XX.

Could you please tell me how you achieved the beading around the splashers?

First of all I have dystonia, which amongst other things causes a Parkinsonian tremor in my hands, this means I have to think a little more carefully ahead to allow for it. I cut the splashers with a compass cutter, I would have preferred to scored the plastic card with dividers, but this way is easier for me. The beading on top of the splashers is cut from 20 thou plastic sheet, form it round a paint brush and stick it on so it is  just over width for the splasher. This was a to do and I have a bin full of failed attempts! Where it joins the footplate I just used some micro strip. I hope that is useful. As I say without the tremor I would probably done it differently

• Thanks 1

Thank you, that is useful to know and I can at least empathise with you about the hand problem, I almost lost my right hand along with my right lower leg and several other bits and have to find ways of doing things that might seem a bit around the houses to the casual viewer.

I can say that it's definitely not holding you back from building impressive models.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2023 at 18:41, Ian Blenk said:

Halford's Ford Pine Green, maybe a bit on the blue side under the layout lights

I thought that's what it looked like. I picked the exact shame shade for my low-height Barclay and for the porthole cab Barclay.

• Like 2