Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

I've received a Bradley manor DCC sound model. I only have DC an she runs but with a lot of buzzing from the motor is this because it should only run on DCC? Seems to judder a bit also.  

Kind regards Neil 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, B15nac said:

I've received a Bradley manor DCC sound model. I only have DC an she runs but with a lot of buzzing from the motor is this because it should only run on DCC? Seems to judder a bit also.  

Kind regards Neil 

The only thing I've noticed running a DCC 'Manor' on DC is that it takes a litt;pe while to get unerway but makes some very appropriate sounds while it's doing so,  It also takes time to build up speed but then has to  have the contrller turned back to stop it galloping away - rather a fun experience 'driving' it.

I wonder if the controllers we use make a difference?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, B15nac said:

Kind regards Neil 

Sounds like the controller might not be suitable for this very modern model. Buzzing and juddering isnt good - I wouldnt run it until I'd ascertained what the issue was.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok thank you for the reply. What controller do you have ? Maybe its my gaugmaster Q. I'm not sure what's the best controller to go for. 

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The only thing I've noticed running a DCC 'Manor' on DC is that it takes a litt;pe while to get unerway but makes some very appropriate sounds while it's doing so,  It also takes time to build up speed but then has to  have the contrller turned back to stop it galloping away - rather a fun experience 'driving' it.

I wonder if the controllers we use make a difference?

19 hours ago, B15nac said:

Kind regards Neil 

I am not an expert.  You don't say if the model was new or pre owned.  I only run analogue and the first thing I do with a sound engine is to put it on a programming track fed by my SPROG.  I read all the CVs and then if I suspect it has been messed with a reset it back to its factory settings.  Newer models (all makes) run better on analogue these days than in the past.  However I still find it often necessary to lower the chip voltage.

As I said you perhaps don't know what settings the chip is using.

Regards  Ray

It's new from key publishing I'm not very clued up on CVS an settings or how to change them.

Thanks for the information 

41 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I am not an expert.  You don't say if the model was new or pre owned.  I only run analogue and the first thing I do with a sound engine is to put it on a programming track fed by my SPROG.  I read all the CVs and then if I suspect it has been messed with a reset it back to its factory settings.  Newer models (all makes) run better on analogue these days than in the past.  However I still find it often necessary to lower the chip voltage.

As I said you perhaps don't know what settings the chip is using.

Regards  Ray

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, B15nac said:

Ok thank you for the reply. What controller do you have ? Maybe its my gaugmaster Q. I'm not sure what's the best controller to go for. 

I'm on DCC for the main layout and use an NCE Powercab with a 5 amp booster. The symptom you describe though is the reason I (finally!) threw away my Hornby trainset controller used previously used for testing - the Bachmann J72 ran like you describe on that. Replaced the Hornby trainset controller on DC test track with a basic Gaugemaster last year on which everything new to date has run fine.