Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mine arrived on Monday - d fortunately we seem to be a relatively easy delivery route from the Birmingham DHL depot as it only involves one intermediate sort   and that's to  the final delivery vehicle.

DHL reckon mine will arrive during a late afternoon slot today.

My dear wife will have to accept it, as I'll be down the pub! 😃

CJI.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Questions I do not have the answers for--

Who QC checks purchases via a retailer--Does ACS apply this for all or does the retailer?

What is covered in any UK applied QC check or is this reliably carried out in China?

Thinking here of the tricky unboxing routine ,repacking and delicate detail issues.

Finally with respect to my outstanding order for 7810--are indirect orders forwarded to retailers at the same time as direct orders?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have you asked them (nicely) to retest it, with you there if possible, to see if their Controller makes a difference?

P

Ha, 🤪not when it’s a 454ml round trip.  As per earlier post's it's not controller related.  Investigations finished.

Lifted body off marked the flywheel and found that at my coupling/uncoupling speed I wanted the motor would always stop at the same point, regardless of wheel positions. Not sure if it’s a skew wound motor but I reckon a heftier flywheel may help, it just cogs at one position.

Next after removing the base/keeper plate there appeared to be no lubrication, no trace of oil or white lube on gears or oil on bearings, unlike Sam’s video which was covered in oil and lube. The rear geared driving wheel was right stiff in the bearings, probly why there was barely any sideways movement.  Once it was all lubed up there was some improvement to it and the amps dropped to 0.01.  At least it's a bit better in a terminal platform still too quick but not lurching into the buffers as before.  I may cut out some sleepers and baseboard at some point and put in another magnet back a bit just for this loco.  Now to get back and runs some trains.

Edited by IOW O2
clarity, spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

DHL reckon mine will arrive during a late afternoon slot today.

My dear wife will have to accept it, as I'll be down the pub! 😃

CJI.

7810 Draycott arrived lunchtime today - DHL were going to leave parcel on the doorstep, but we opened the door and caught the courier taking a pic! Model extremely well packaged, no signs of any problems, but full inspection and some initial trials later after the St. Petrox  branch has closed for the night. Loco looks superb, especially next to an old Bachmann version (which must be 25 years old?).

Pete

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, petrox said:

7810 Draycott arrived lunchtime today - DHL were going to leave parcel on the doorstep, but we opened the door and caught the courier taking a pic! Model extremely well packaged, no signs of any problems, but full inspection and some initial trials later after the St. Petrox  branch has closed for the night. Loco looks superb, especially next to an old Bachmann version (which must be 25 years old?).

Pete

You were relatively lucky - my package was misdelivered by half-a-mile!

It is only due to the honesty of that householder, who redelivered the package, that I now have my model; (parcel yet to be opened).

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It is only due to the honesty of that householder, who redelivered the package, that I now have my model; (parcel yet to be opened).

John Isherwood.

And that’s the second misdelivey that’s been reported here this week. I realise when I read this how fortunate I have been.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Have been running in my 7819 Hinton Manor, but running in made no difference.

image.png.961ac1bcc6fae1f41a8a88e0be71e32b.png

She runs smoothly and sounds are great. No bits missing but the coal was in a bag instead of being fitted.

It is a bit of a noisy runner at speed, louder than the DCC sound. Running it with 8 coaches and heavy load mode is absolutely brilliant! Best steam sound loco I've had.

• Informative/Useful 3

Firstly, let me thank everyone has replied to offer some thoughts on my initial post and apologies for the delay in replying.

I am running it on DC and neither control system is feedback. My KPC system has the option, but obviously I don't have that selected. Having been out all day today and late back from our club last evening, I havn't had the chance to try again. 

IOW mentioned the complete lack of apparent lubrication but I havn't had the opportunity to have a look, but quite honestly I am reluctant to begin taking this - brand new -  loco apart! After all, I believe I should not have to do this. After all the PR I do feel disappointed, that in today's world, a basic requirement of realistic running should be smooth starts/stops. 

So thankyou again gents for your thoughts so far, it is much appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

.......but quite honestly I am reluctant to begin taking this - brand new -  loco apart! After all, I believe I should not have to do this. After all the PR I do feel disappointed, that in today's world, a basic requirement of realistic running should be smooth starts/stops.

Removing the baseplate is dead easy just the four screws and a firm tug.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And that’s the second misdelivey that’s been reported here this week. I realise when I read this how fortunate I have been.

Three if you want to count my Deltic last year, different road and postcode, DHL always go there for me and 39 others in my postcode!!  The peeps there are used to it.  Only DHL do this!

Edited by IOW O2
clarity

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, IOW O2 said:

Three if you want to count my Deltic last year, different road and postcode, DHL always go there for me and 39 others in my postcode!!  The peeps there are used to it.  Only DHL do this!

I posted,I believe,this week and not last year.A good idea to stick to current events,shall we ?

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A good idea to stick to current events,shall we ?

Wrongly worded by me, just trying to be funny, no need to be so sarcastic.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It would be great if there was less posts about dodgy Manors, as it is tempting me to get another one just to see if it's wonky. Also don't say the Sound is superb as that's an extra load of dosh!

Ta very much.

V. Meldrew.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It would be great if there was less posts about dodgy Manors, as it is tempting me to get another one just to see if it's wonky. Also don't say the Sound is superb as that's an extra load of dosh!

Ta very much.

V. Meldrew.

I would know diddly squat about sound in any case as I sport two hearing aids. I preordered & pre paid  for 7820 in July 2022 because there were at that time only sound versions left. I wanted a lined black version as IMHO it was the smartest Manor of them all .Well I would think that as I remember them exactly like that. The sound is AFAIC a bit of fun .Having said that,its performance is the best of the bunch.For cognoscenti low down,other opinions are available.

My only claim to any authentic opinions is that I both saw and heard them working on the WR from the early 1950’s and had a run behind one on the Vale of Neath and spotted 7818 on my way to school one morning..fitted freight,Gadlys Junction etc…. Best.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I would know diddly squat about sound in any case as I sport two hearing aids. I preordered & pre paid  for 7820 in July 2022 because there were at that time only sound versions left. I wanted a lined black version as IMHO it was the smartest Manor of them all .Well I would think that as I remember them exactly like that. The sound is AFAIC a bit of fun .Having said that,its performance is the best of the bunch.For cognoscenti low down,other opinions are available.

My only claim to any authentic opinions is that I both saw and heard them working on the WR from the early 1950’s and had a run behind one on the Vale of Neath and spotted 7818 on my way to school one morning..fitted freight,Gadlys Junction etc…. Best.

Saw Manors in and out of 83D in 1959 - 1962. Also occasionally out of Plymouth North Road DH with a Castle, going east towards Mutley Tunnel. Loud and barking! Rather like me really!

Would have liked to have been lineside Lineside at Dainton coming West, or Hemerdon Coming North to hear them in full cry. However I never had that opportunity. Shame.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

Saw Manors in and out of 83D in 1959 - 1962. Also occasionally out of Plymouth North Road DH with a Castle, going east towards Mutley Tunnel. Loud and barking! Rather like me really!

Would have liked to have been lineside Lineside at Dainton coming West, or Hemerdon Coming North to hear them in full cry. However I never had that opportunity. Shame.

Phil

My first actual sight of one was at Newton Abbot on a train journey from Cardiff to Penzance in the summer of 1953. Their tasks then were assisting passenger trains over the South Devon banks,having taken over the jobs from withdrawn Bulldogs. Lovely,graceful things they were too.NA was spotter’s heaven. Every kind of WR mainline motive power and SR Bulleid light Pacifics too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

I am advised by Accurascale that they are in the process of transferring their deliveries from DHL to another courier.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My first actual sight of one was at Newton Abbot on a train journey from Cardiff to Penzance in the summer of 1953. Their tasks then were assisting passenger trains over the South Devon banks,having taken over the jobs from withdrawn Bulldogs. Lovely,graceful things they were too.NA was spotter’s heaven. Every kind of WR mainline motive power and SR Bulleid light Pacifics too.

That might have been Exeter Ian, as you'd only see one Bulleid a day at Newton Abbot if you were lucky, on the Driver Route refreshing Turns. Have to agree though, with the Shed and Works there in view and the Midland Trains that didn't go further West, N.A was a good place, especially on Summer Saturdays. 

I preferred Exeter as I wanted to go to Central, as living in Plymouth I didn't really miss that many WR Engines that only got as far as N/A and Merchant Navies never went West of Exeter in those days.

Happy days eh?

Phil

• Like 2