Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Anyone else's Torquay bad at crawling under Analogue? (running with Gaugemaster combi)

Mine doesn't like it and just cuts in quite fast. Might be better under DCC but havent fitted it yet!

Cheers

My first Manor 7801 was a dream on DC, it would run at a steady crawl forwards or backwards (with between 2.5v and 3.0v pure DC from bench power supply)

The second one 7808 did not, it required nearly 4.0v to start and had a noticable tight spot, however after some prolonged running in has improved drastically.

Both now fitted with DCC decoders and perform beautifully.

I find it unusual for out of the box models to run perfectly until they have run in.

My Dapol GWR Mogul was worse than the second Manor and has taken quite a bit more running before settling down to become a smooth performer.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Anyone else's Torquay bad at crawling under Analogue? (running with Gaugemaster combi)

Mine doesn't like it and just cuts in quite fast. Might be better under DCC but havent fitted it yet!

Cheers

The Gaugemaster Combi is an entry level (cheap and cheerful) analogue controller.  It has a mximum output of 0.75amp  I suspect that the power output at low speed will be  too low for running a digital sound fitted model.  I have copied the Gaugemzster Combi details from Rails web site:

Transformer Details:

Input: 230v AC (Mains) Output Voltage: 16v AC Current: 0.75 Amps Dimensions: Length: 65mm Width: 80mm Height: 83mm Controller Details:

Input: 16v AC (from transformer) Output Voltage: 1 x 12v DC, 1 x 16v AC Current: 0.75 Amps

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I suspect that the power output at low speed will be  too low for running a digital sound fitted model. 

1 hour ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

No i'm not, it's DCC ready.

Which is why I was checking.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

The Gaugemaster Combi is an entry level (cheap and cheerful) analogue controller.  It has a mximum output of 0.75amp  I suspect that the power output at low speed will be  too low for running a digital sound fitted model.  I have copied the Gaugemzster Combi details from Rails web site:

Transformer Details:

Input: 230v AC (Mains) Output Voltage: 16v AC Current: 0.75 Amps Dimensions: Length: 65mm Width: 80mm Height: 83mm Controller Details:

Input: 16v AC (from transformer) Output Voltage: 1 x 12v DC, 1 x 16v AC Current: 0.75 Amps

There was non of this bother whe Egor popped a rod out the roof and harnessed the lightning,wheres progress got us.

• RMweb Gold

picked up cookham manor yesterday from my local shop, looks stunning but having running issues. is anyone else having performance issues on 2nd radius curves (and double slips etc), mine really slows down (if going slow enough will stop). i've ran it in hoping it would loosen up but nope. i've checked the back to backs and they are all about 14.4, i wonder if its binding a little but can't see where.

also the stay alive is not working, lift it off the track and wheels instantly stop (tender pick ups are also need tweaking.

all in all,m lovely model but mine is a poor runner.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

can't see where.

Have you got the loco to coupling in the close or the wider position?

5 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

the stay alive is not working,

Are you working in DCC?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have you got the loco to coupling in the close or the wider position?

Are you working in DCC?

DCC, got the tender coupling on what ever the out box is set to, if your on speed step 15 or above then you can’t tell , drop to 10 or below then you see the slow down.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

got the tender coupling on what ever the out box is set to,

It could be either; check It's on the wider setting on tight curves.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

The Gaugemaster Combi is an entry level (cheap and cheerful) analogue controller.  It has a mximum output of 0.75amp  I suspect that the power output at low speed will be  too low for running a digital sound fitted model. 

0.75 Amps@ 12v is 9 watts.

I'd be surprised if a sound decoder consumes that much power running light.

N.B. the motor only, off load is well under 0.1 A.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Re: Stay Alive

Can the length of running time be adjusted?

e.g. is there anything in the decoder to be set?

Is usually CV 113 on loksound chips…. Set to 0 = no stay alive, set to 255 = about 4 seconds depending on current draw.

HTH 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Is usually CV 113 on loksound chips…. Set to 0 = no stay alive, set to 255 = about 4 seconds depending on current draw.

HTH 

Thanks Phil.

Unfortunately I'm using a Zimo decoder and that isn't on CV113☹️

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

is anyone else having performance issues on 2nd radius curves (and double slips etc), mine really slows down (if going slow enough will stop). i've ran it in hoping it would loosen up but nope. i've checked the back to backs and they are all about 14.4, i wonder if its binding a little but can't see where.

Another possibility to check is that all the wheelsets have the intended side to side movement.

A penalty that comes with the extra detailing around the wheels is that a piece only has to be a small amount out of position to limit a wheelset's sideways movement; and it is practically invisible in an on track view, black brakeshoe touching a tyre for example. Look at the model from the underside, and move each wheelset side to side to check for any contact with fixed detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Should be CV153 on Zimo. 0 is max though, if you want to set it to the minimum time then set it to 1.

Thanks.

I don't need the four seconds, a ¼ second will probably be enough for that odd dirty spot.

Shall try that later today

I've now found it in the Zimo CV list (I've only got the German version for the MN series!)

Edited by melmerby

The current (September) issue of Hornby Mag has an article on "Manors on the Cambrian". The leading 2-page spread (p118-9) has a picture of 7811 leaving Aberystwyth in 1959 on the CCE, a 4-coach rake of Mk1 coaches.

Can anyone identify which coaches these are as I'd like to give my 7812 this rake to haul.

1st one really puzzles me.

2nd I think is a Compo open, 3rd a second corridor. The 4th is obviously a brake, but not sure which.

Also, are they blood & custard or choc/cream livery?

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

The current (September) issue of Hornby Mag has an article on "Manors on the Cambrian". The leading 2-page spread (p118-9) has a picture of 7811 leaving Aberystwyth in 1959 on the CCE, a 4-coach rake of Mk1 coaches.

Can anyone identify which coaches these are as I'd like to give my 7812 this rake to haul.

1st one really puzzles me.

2nd I think is a Compo open, 3rd a second corridor. The 4th is obviously a brake, but not sure which.

Also, are they blood & custard or choc/cream livery?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/08/2023 at 17:26, Cofga said:

Yes, but your website still says:

”DCC Sound locomotives have speaker mounted in smokebox and dual speakers in tender”

That's now been changed on the web site to say

"DCC Sound locomotives have speaker mounted in smokebox and speaker in tender"

The old version is there on archive.org (snapshot taken in March this year). but presumably it was changed some time after the 25th of this month. Not sure how I feel about that. I very much doubt anyone would have purchased or not based on the presence or absence of a third speaker, but changing (lowering?) the spec after payment has been taken and then not (as far as I can tell) making any announcement about it seems... ...unusual.

Maybe someone from Accurascale would like to comment? Perhaps it was just a genuine mistake in the web copy, and nobody at Accurascale noticed until you pointed it out. Has the sound quality been affected in any way?