Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium

Doh, my retailer contacted me earlier this afternoon to say that on testing my Torquay one before despatch, it was as dead as a DoDo, I was offered a GWR crested one but not my era. They are returning it for replacement, so I hope Accu have one in their warranty held back ones or even Erlestoke if they don't.

Not the end if they don't.

Edited by IOW O2
spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Manor from Heaven.  

AM3.jpeg.82620c81b2f1cd551cac4ec162e05e01.jpeg

This beauty arrived on Monday from RoS, but excitement had to be curbed for 24 hours.  I'd ordered the 'DCC ready' version (in the absence of a 'DCC fitted' one, other than the sound-equipped model).  It hadn't registered with me that it required a Next-18 decoder and I only had 8-pin ones in stock. So I ordered a RoS Next-18 4-function one for next day delivery by DPD.  (There's another story!)

Fitting the decoder into the tender - and shortening the rear coupling - made me realise why Accurascale are so adamant about minimising the times you part tender body from chassis.  As for the loco body I read their near total silence on the subject as "Don't go there".  Super realism indeed, but at the price of a certain fragility in some areas.  I'm afraid that while fitting the chip I dislodged a tender handrail.  But I'm in good company - so did Andy Y in his video review.

The loco runs beautifully - smooth, quiet and instantly responsive, with sensible gearing and a realistic top speed. The only electronic gremlin I had was that when I first put 7801 on the track on Monday the firebox glow came on. It hasn't done since, but since I hadn't missed it until now I care not a jot.

Well done Accurascale.  What's next I wonder?  State of the art pannier tanks?

More pics of 7801 on my layout thread in due course.

John C.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, JST said:

Done. Hope it works now!

Thanks.

Nice and steady. Mine has a bit of waddle on my hypersensitive rolling road* but it's certainly not detectable on the track.

* Only one RTR steam loco in the last five years has been absolutely perfect.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IOW O2 said:

my retailer ... testing my Torquay one before despatch

Slightly OT, but which retailer? Always nice to know which ones offer this (I know Derails do). So much better if they are checked before dispatch. I know it's not for everyone, as some people want that pristine, untouched by human hands model, but it's something that I look for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, checkrail said:

AM3.jpeg.82620c81b2f1cd551cac4ec162e05e01.jpeg

Manor on Heaven more like.

Shows just how good the manor is that it only needs a bit of work to bring it up to your standards!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I'm afraid that while fitting the chip I dislodged a tender handrail.  But I'm in good company - so did Andy Y in his video review.

So did I while I was doing a sound installation. Managed to get it back in place OK, though.

12 minutes ago, checkrail said:

The loco runs beautifully - smooth, quiet and instantly responsive, with sensible gearing and a realistic top speed.

That's a really good point that I don't think has been mentioned very much. The gearing is a very important feature of this model, giving more realism and better pulling power.

By the way, congratulations on using the very last remaining Manor pun:

17 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Manor from Heaven.  

😆

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

So did I while I was doing a sound installation. Managed to get it back in place OK, though.

That's a really good point that I don't think has been mentioned very much. The gearing is a very important feature of this model, giving more realism and better pulling power.

By the way, congratulations on using the very last remaining Manor pun:

😆

The gearing means that the loco is very torquay, so I have dinmore puns than expected.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BroadLeaves said:

We can't iford for the thread to get taken over with this sort of fring. For decency's sake, take the hint on puns...

Ok, I’ll take the Hinton board.

Edited by MPR
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

OK, I'll be upfront about this. I'm anti-GW - always have been, but my 7812 arrived yesterday from Kernow! Why, I ask myself, did I give in? (I probably won't ever again, I'll try my best not to.....).

Well, I guess it is my momento of Aberystwyth (though I bought the £70 VoR book whilst I was there on that excuse). My granddaughter has just finished Uni at Aber, we visited her in Spring last year for a couple of days and fell in love with the town. So much so that we went back again this year for a longer stay. I visited the VoR last year, managed to ride it this year. Forgot to say we used the train to get there; I've read a fair bit about the Cambrian since, and this year managed a ride from Dovey Junction to Porthmadog, stopping off at Barmouth. I missed seeing it all in steam days (and before closures etc), but 7812 does it for me. Also, having ignored the thread until recently, I started reading it and decided this modelwould be on a par with the Deltic (a real loco there), so I'd give it ago.

Obviously, I am no expert on fidelity to prototype, but the model shines excellence, as does the excellent box (how did I sneak that in?). I've ony so far run it on my yard of track on the workbench, but superb! Chimney was loose in the foam of the box but I soon popped that on. No details added yet. It sits there on the workbench, one thing irks me a little - the tender crest just seems too bright and prominent. Cab handrails are perfect btw. I feel guilty about getting it, but I'll live with it, it reminds me of Aber (before I visited).

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

Has anyone been brave enough to take the loco body off from the chassis? That is my biggest worry when the time comes to

service the model. I feel it is very important for a model to be serviceable in order for it to give a lifetime of reliable running. 

I'm sure Sam will show us...🙃

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

OK, I'll be upfront about this. I'm anti-GW - always have been, but my 7812 arrived yesterday from Kernow! Why, I ask myself, did I give in? 

You can get counselling for that @stewartingram

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

Cookham Manor arrived in Western North Carolina this afternoon and I already have a couple of questions. I installed the full cylinder head covers and now wonder what to do with the cylinder guards. Can’t figure exactly how to fit them. Also tried removing the coal load which supposedly is held in with magnets but it won’t budge, any tips on this one.

The good news was the hand grabs on the rear of the cab were fit tight to the roof but can easily be moved if need be. Tomorrow I plan to give it a ride on the rolling road for an hour then see how many Hornby passenger coaches it can pull up my 1.9% helix—any guesses?

Edited by Cofga
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Cofga said:

Also tried removing the coal load which supposedly is held in with magnets but it won’t budge, any tips on this one?

On 12/08/2023 at 18:51, 57xx said:

I've not tried but can clearly see the glue on the back two corners. I'll more than likely just leave it in place

On 12/08/2023 at 11:33, No Decorum said:

Yes. Craft knife at the back of the load. With the bond broken, ease it up to break the bond on the shovelling plate. Be very careful with the fire iron rack – the coal load goes under it. It’s a shame really – I don’t know if I’ll be able to shift the remains of the glue; if I can’t, it’ll have to be a full tender. The glue could have been put to better use under the chimney.

after trawling back through the last 15 pages to find the discussion on this I'm losing the will to live!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, Cofga said:

Tomorrow I plan to give it a ride on the rolling road for an hour then see how many Hornby passenger coaches it can pull up my 1.9% helix—any guesses?

Need more data. What's the helix radius, weight and free rolling capability of the stock?

And if typical of current RTR OO productions, it will do best if it has its hour of test running on track rather than a rolling road, which solely provides limited 'exercise' to the drive train. (There are more carrying wheels than drive wheels, and all wheels have to be free to roll and be displaced side to side for curves.)

Based on the similar size and mass Hornby B12/3 4-6-0 which has circa 300g/10oz acting on the coupled wheels, I would guess at 5 BR mk1 or similar, if a reliable restart in the ascending direction from a halt with the whole train on the helix is required.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Renaming Accurascale Manor

Hiya folks, seeking advice / pointers on renaming the beautiful #Accurascale #Manors*, with etched plates that don’t fit the splasher! I’m attempting to recast ‘Antony’ as 7803 ‘Barcote Manor:

IMG_8015.jpeg.2ea1bee7f7037c00da01e8adc268965f.jpegAs you can see, the ‘flitch’ on the nameplates does not match the curve of the splasher - so i had to:

1. overlap it (to stay at sensible height),

2. or sit above it (halfway up the boiler with big gap at bottom LH / RH).

3, I’m aware a 3rd option would be to grind and file the plate to correct curvature - but having irreparably buckled 2 plates in attempt, realise this is beyond my skill set!

So I opted for 1, the overlap: looks ok from a distance but ‘bodge job’ close up:

IMG_8013.jpeg.9b15dafccfd00603b14768079b0a7040.jpeg

Interestingly, the same (247) plates seem to fit fine on the #Dapol Manor - which has renamed from ‘Compton’ to 7809 “Childrey” (buffer beam yet to transition!) 
IMG_8367.jpeg.4c534fc8d83885d43aeb4e5170dcddf9.jpeg

These particular plates are from 247, attached by gently tweezering out the splasher (very helpful of #Accurascale to do this as a seperate part).

IMG_8009.jpeg.5e7dd6dec5bb9a941326eb792c07deda.jpeg

I used my usual method of Matt varnish initially to affix - but after popping off 12 hours later, found 3 dabs of Brunswick green paint on back ended up being far more adherent. 

As with others, I’m otherwise incredibly impressed with #Accurascale #Manor (though still awaiting 3 out of 4 pre-orders) - to the extent I’d nominate as best RTR model ever produced! (possibly bumping even Rapido’s Stirling Single 🍑). The dulled smokebox, fine coupling rods and spot on ‘face’ (particular door dart / number plate font colour & size, which I often find a let down!!) really stand this model out. And it’s pulling power us insane - video to come shortly on #WyeValleyGardenRail on YouTube / Facebook :-) 

Now, if I can persuade Accurascale to produce a stablemate “#GWRBulldog”, I’ll invest a liver / legacy pledge / small part of house to see a Bulldog to their Manor standards! 

my Question to RM Webbers
I’m aware Manor Nameplates are also available from Fox, CJW and Jackson Evans, possibly others.
- Are any of these makes a better fit for the splasher curve on the Accurascale Manor?
- Have other RMWebbers had better success with achieving a more professional fit and finish? (Always good to get a heads up on avoiding glue marks / oozing etc too!)

many thanks, Craig 

Edited by craigowen1976
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, craigowen1976 said:

Renaming Accurascale Manor

Hiya folks, seeking advice / pointers on renaming the beautiful #Accurascale #Manors*, with etched plates that don’t fit the splasher! I’m attempting to recast ‘Antony’ as 7803 ‘Barcote Manor:

IMG_8015.jpeg.2ea1bee7f7037c00da01e8adc268965f.jpegAs you can see, the ‘flitch’ on the nameplates does not match the curve of the splasher - so i had to:

1. overlap it (to stay at sensible height),

2. or sit above it (halfway up the boiler with big gap at bottom LH / RH).

3, I’m aware a 3rd option would be to grind and file the plate to correct curvature - but having irreparably buckled 2 plates in attempt, realise this is beyond my skill set!

So I opted for 1, the overlap: looks ok from a distance but ‘bodge job’ close up:

IMG_8013.jpeg.9b15dafccfd00603b14768079b0a7040.jpeg

Interestingly, the same (247) plates seem to fit fine on the #Dapol Manor - which has renamed from ‘Compton’ to 7809 “Childrey” (buffer beam yet to transition!) 
IMG_8367.jpeg.4c534fc8d83885d43aeb4e5170dcddf9.jpeg

These particular plates are from 247, attached by gently tweezering out the splasher (very helpful of #Accurascale to do this as a seperate part).

IMG_8009.jpeg.5e7dd6dec5bb9a941326eb792c07deda.jpeg

I used my usual method of Matt varnish initially to affix - but after popping off 12 hours later, found 3 dabs of Brunswick green paint on back ended up being far more adherent. 

As with others, I’m otherwise incredibly impressed with #Accurascale #Manor (though still awaiting 3 out of 4 pre-orders) - to the extent I’d nominate as best RTR model ever produced! (possibly bumping even Rapido’s Stirling Single 🍑). The dulled smokebox, fine coupling rods and spot on ‘face’ (particular door dart / number plate font colour & size, which I often find a let down!!) really stand this model out. And it’s pulling power us insane - video to come shortly on #WyeValleyGardenRail on YouTube / Facebook :-) 

Now, if I can persuade Accurascale to produce a stablemate “#GWRBulldog”, I’ll invest a liver / legacy pledge / small part of house to see a Bulldog to their Manor standards! 

my Question to RM Webbers
I’m aware Manor Nameplates are also available from Fox, CJW and Jackson Evans, possibly others.
- Are any of these makes a better fit for the splasher curve on the Accurascale Manor?
- Have other RMWebbers had better success with achieving a more professional fit and finish? (Always good to get a heads up on avoiding glue marks / oozing etc too!)

many thanks, Craig 

I had been  happily day dreaming of an Accurascale Saint this morning  . A straight framed Lady of Legend one side ,  t’other renamed to Lady of Lynn ( my wife ). Bliss ! With a curved frame Saint David to follow .

But the prospect of an Accurascale Bulldog ! In reality Bachman should do one - less work with just a new boiler and cab on the existing Dukedog chassis  .

Currently lying down in a dark room in a paroxysmal state of anticipation .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3