Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

As much as Accutrascale and its customers are disappointed with this news--well done for choosing to keep your customers updated--as you rightly point out the quality issue far outweighs a week or so late.

I think it used to be called  "managing customer expectations"

regards,

Ed P 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Accurascale: 'We're particularly proud of the finer detail on the running plate, inside the cab and the matt paint around the smokebox' - smokebox, chimney and supporting bracket are all matt black. I always thought smokeboxes were painted gloss, although this soon dirtied down but they were never matt black; although this is definitely a trait in preservation currently.

All that said, that's one fine looking model. The blackened wheel rims and 'dark metal' motion add greatly to the realism. I trust the buffers are black also.

Glenn

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Come on Ggg…ranville,pull hard on those oars…🥴

"It's no use, you know I don't understand morse code" 😄

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Okay, will come clean on this. There was one photo we didn't share last week, and it's this one...

image(82).png.c2ca1310ae38cd483424485a419ee431.png

as you can see, the tunnel on the firemans side has been painted black instead of green, despite our artworks being correct. Thankfully it's something that is really easy to correct, and the factory are already sorting it, but have asked for 10 days to complete the work. We have okay'ed this, as it would be awful to put the models out there with incorrect paint like this.  An absolute pain, but we felt it was the right decision to take.

So, at the last hurdle, it has tripped, but will be bang on when they land. 

Once this is corrected all models will be packed up and shipped by air to the UK. They are coming in two batches one week apart. Batch one includes 7800, 7801, 7802, 7808 and 7812, with the remainder following on approx one week later.

July is the month of the Manor, which is the main thing. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran,

If you cannot ship before I go away, could I contact support to defer shipping until my return?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
17 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Fran,

If you cannot ship before I go away, could I contact support to defer shipping until my return?

Hi @reddragon,

Sure thing, just email us with your order number and the dates and we can facilitate this.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Okay, will come clean on this. There was one photo we didn't share last week, and it's this one...

as you can see, the tunnel on the firemans side has been painted black instead of green, despite our artworks being correct. Thankfully it's something that is really easy to correct, and the factory are already sorting it, but have asked for 10 days to complete the work. We have okay'ed this, as it would be awful to put the models out there with incorrect paint like this.  An absolute pain, but we felt it was the right decision to take.

Once this is corrected all models will be packed up and shipped by air to the UK. They are coming in two batches one week apart. Batch one includes 7800, 7801, 7802, 7808 and 7812, with the remainder following on approx one week later.

Cheers!

Fran 

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't release the model then issue replacement bodies to all customers with correct paint :-p !!!!

In all seriousness, the right thing to do, and my my credit card will get another month to pay off the loco when it arrives at my retailer.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

Am I right when I say there was only a tunnel on the one side?

It's for the fire irons, so on the firemans side only.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Accurascale: 'We're particularly proud of the finer detail on the running plate, inside the cab and the matt paint around the smokebox' - smokebox, chimney and supporting bracket are all matt black. I always thought smokeboxes were painted gloss, although this soon dirtied down but they were never matt black; although this is definitely a trait in preservation currently.

All that said, that's one fine looking model. The blackened wheel rims and 'dark metal' motion add greatly to the realism. I trust the buffers are black also.

Glenn

Maybe so, but even after a few miles ex works the Smokebox was almost matt and I'd rather paint it gloss if I wanted it ex works than try to get this finish. No issues from e I'm afraid despite your obvious track history as a fine loco painter etc.

Phil

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

Is the 'dulling' of the smokebox not necessarily through sooting up, but through the heat?

I see this on all steam locomotives, once they've fired up / have run hardish for a while.

Al.

Also through the use of a different black paint than the black used on other parts of the loco, as I understand it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Also through the use of a different black paint than the black used on other parts of the loco, as I understand it.

Yes, if I recall correctly, it was a "heat resistant" paint. However, temperatures in the smokebox were very high when the loco was working hard. Smokeboxes would be bright and shiny ex works but even then there would be pale water streaks down the side after running up the yard for release.

I remember painting my Lambretta expansion pipe with a heat resistant paint. It lasted about two weeks before turning a very flat black and then peeling off. I followed the instructions very carefully, honest!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

On 03/07/2023 at 12:41, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks for the update Fran. I'm looking forward to receiving mine as I won one of the locomotives on the raffle at the Severn Valley Railway recently and the Manor was what I picked so the news they're about to land is fantastic.  Looks like time to start building a portable test track since my loft layout is being put back another year...

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Accurascale staff
On 04/07/2023 at 15:44, chrisjwarnes said:

Do we know when the production images of the other liveries are going to be published? It would be really nice to see 7812. 

Hi Chris,

We have asked to be sent some with the corrected paint on the tunnel on the firemans side. They arrive tomorrow and will be snapped next week with pics published then while the rest are packed up and shipped to us.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2023 at 13:51, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Chris,

We have asked to be sent some with the corrected paint on the tunnel on the firemans side. They arrive tomorrow and will be snapped next week with pics published then while the rest are packed up and shipped to us.

Cheers!

Fran 

Any progress with this Fran? What’s the eta of the main stock into the UK? 
Thanks

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Any progress with this Fran? What’s the eta of the main stock into the UK? 
Thanks

Yes I'd love to know this too , especially with me needing to snipe cookham manor and torquay manor and fringford manor up as I forgot to pre order 6 months ago 🤣

• Like 2