Basingstoke Shed - 70D - Comes to Buxton

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Nick C said:

All long gone now of course - that whole area is now a block of flats...

Yes, rather like many ex Railway sites. Nick do you have any pictures dating from the 1950/60s of the shed and the station? My research has located many but you can never have enough.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 30368 said:

Yes, rather like many ex Railway sites. Nick do you have any pictures dating from the 1950/60s of the shed and the station? My research has located many but you can never have enough.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard, presumably you have most of the related Books for that area and that include that stretch you mention? I'll have a poke around as I know I have some, if you wish. I can then list what I can find and you can say if you have it?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2022 at 13:25, Mallard60022 said:

Richard, presumably you have most of the related Books for that area and that include that stretch you mention?

I think so Phil. There are many photo's too but given that most photographers of the time were interested in the locomotives, the shed and its surrounding area forms the backdrop. I have about 50 images, excluding all those in the books. The Farnham MRC 2mm Basingstoke is a really good representation and I am aware of it. Many thanks for your help.

Added a number of unfinished shed offices and the famous cycle rack...

I'm putting off covering the roof because I can't make up my mind on wether to fit smoke chutes on the inside of the roof...

IMG_7153.JPG.ba484f4d6ea93d5a1c884944f4979493.JPG

Lousy focus!

IMG_7151.JPG.714192fd5d5a3b2fdbe505bb60e8affa.JPG

Nicely out of focus cycle shed!

IMG_7149.JPG.ca11e18a9c0af9db606d2859a8432545.JPG

I am now waiting for some fancy grass sheets and a large oak tree together with two large Elm. I want to see how this all looks before attaching the buildings and applying weathering. I enjoying the scenic part of the hobby almost as much as loco building! A real surprise to me!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2022 at 13:30, Mallard60022 said:

You will have seen most of these of course.

Mostly Phil yes. Great picture of 30911 at Salisbury and a Castle (7029) running past Basingstoke shed - I did not know that they were cleared for Reading - Basingstoke. Although they were regulars at Salisbury.

Many thanks Phil,

Richard

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Mostly Phil yes. Great picture of 30911 at Salisbury and a Castle (7029) running past Basingstoke shed - I did not know that they were cleared for Reading - Basingstoke. Although they were regulars at Salisbury.

Many thanks Phil,

Richard

Welcome. I will have a poke through my stuff as I am sure I have a couple of pics of the shed area and also some unusual workings.

Looking good mate.

P

• RMweb Premium

So far:

4 pics B & w of the Shed in Paul Bodger's BR Steam Motive Power Depots. Sadly only the usual front 34 shots really.

Steam on the Southern, A colour Portfolio Roy Hobbs: 1 good Colour shot of a Black Motor in front of some Shed rear 3/4 and good roof detail and a glimpse of some of the little Buildings, main line side but mainly hidden by the loco.  Good shot of a Nelson (any excuse eh) but at the east end of the Station thus no shed.

Continuing searches tomorrow.

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Further work on those offices and the area around the water column that was located on the bank at the rear of the shed.

The water column has been chopped about a bit so that it looks more like the one installed at the shed.

IMG_7159.JPG.d1b882fb4883578db74cb52b9929ce81.JPG

IMG_7161.JPG.02603e6c42b69c109793df0b48904e3f.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG.cfc55adad863f46e46926f0e22d7117d.JPG

Buildings will be fixed in place when all the flora arrives.

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi,

Further work on those offices and the area around the water column that was located on the bank at the rear of the shed.

The water column has been chopped about a bit so that it looks more like the one installed at the shed.

IMG_7159.JPG.d1b882fb4883578db74cb52b9929ce81.JPG

IMG_7161.JPG.02603e6c42b69c109793df0b48904e3f.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG.cfc55adad863f46e46926f0e22d7117d.JPG

Buildings will be fixed in place when all the flora arrives.

Kind regards,

Richard

That central building has a front of Ridge  Chimney stack with two Pots; front taller than rear and different shapes.

The wall to the left is also a building with a slightly sloping over lapping the wall at the front, Corrugated Iron Roof.

Sorry..... the Column is further to the right of the building by about 6' with the 'Dock being almost as long again as the one you have in place; extends to over the left end of that right hand building that also has a door at the left hand end. I have three good phots of that from the end of the up platform if you want them?

I will also go away and shut up if that helps :)

Maybe some more to come later?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

That central building has a front of Ridge  Chimney stack with two Pots; front taller than rear and different shapes.

The wall to the left is also a building with a slightly sloping over lapping the wall at the front, Corrugated Iron Roof.

Sorry..... the Column is further to the right of the building by about 6' with the 'Dock being almost as long again as the one you have in place; extends to over the left end of that right hand building that also has a door at the left hand end. I have three good phots of that from the end of the up platform if you want them?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your observations, really appreciated. Because I am getting on in years, I decided to approach building construction in a sort of "cut and shut" way, similar, if you like, to a well known coach cut and shut expert on this web. So the central building is an adapted (Hornby?) "modern bungalow". The chimney stack mouldings (various) are on order so I'll tackle those soon. I think the wall to the left of the centre building is the back of the bike shed as is mine. I fully accept that the dock is too short but space is limited and I had to compromise, perhaps more than I would have liked to. The building to the right is just an adaption of a "Townstreet" moulding so doors and windows are wrong.

I have no excuse for these errors apart from "life is too short " and I could do with another 2m added to my layout room. 80/20 rule Phil...

I would welcome copies your photo's if you can scan them? Thanks for all your efforts.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall attempt to do that tech job and Good on you for doing the life too short route...exactly as it should be and forgive my info;  it is sent with great respect and I shall not refer to Clive Cut and Shout Morty in any post. :)

P:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

and forgive my info;  it is sent with great respect

No need to apol. I am totally relaxed about comments and suggestions, how else do we learn and improve?

Richard

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Why one photo posted twice I cannot tell other than it has the V2 in it and the camera/ PC does not believe it!!!

P

Phil,

I can't thank you enough, these are really excellent pictures. I particularly like that of 30368 and of 30925. The picture of the flat top is also good since it shows that whilst my R/H building is not too bad a representation sadly the doors at the wrong end and apart from breaking the plaster moulding (very fragile) I can't really rectify.

I have no problem with two V2 pictures even a repeat - shows that V2's visited the SW mainline after the transfer and return of same during the Bullied Pacific crises.

Halls, Granges and 61XX tank all regular WR visitors with the occasional 28XX too.

Many thanks,

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Well I really never considered that scenic work on the layout could be so enjoyable! I am using Lars op't Hof Scenic Wild meadow grass (supplied by Model Railway Scenes) for the banks along the station side of the shed. I have added wild flowers (lots of images of the prototype confirm many wild flowers along the bank) both inj clumps as supp[lied but also smaller sections scattered in the meadow grass to show how the "weeds" are spreading. Don't look too bad!

IMG_7162.JPG.3c58d1b20cd33423a22b6f463b9c2033.JPG

I still have to ballast the track, I think I might regret not doing it sooner!

IMG_7163.JPG.ecc0096dc1222f983ad222ccb40597d7.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Planted some trees today, that is them in the background, just in front of the bookcase. Probably need some suitable backscenes.

IMG_7180.JPG.266fb1f1605f76466cfe915e56996967.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B