The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gout, worse pain ever?!

Ray Von

Once you try to find your triggers things can settle.

Mine were red veg, mushrooms and strawberries.

Ibuprofen is worth keeping a supply of.

Also as daft as it sounds Cherry Juice seems to help me, it takes the edge of when you begin to get the tingle a few days before it might go boom!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Ian Fisher said:

Once you try to find your triggers things can settle.

Mine were red veg, mushrooms and strawberries.

Ibuprofen is worth keeping a supply of.

Also as daft as it sounds Cherry Juice seems to help me, it takes the edge of when you begin to get the tingle a few days before it might go boom!

Yes, I found after advice from a doctor that red things were often triggers. Tomatoes definitely so, strawberries (and mushrooms) being suspect, but cherries seem to be safe. Some seafood also can trigger it, which is a great pity as I love most of it!

I have Nurofen Plus tablets on prescrition for both gout and migraines, taken only as a last resort. ordinary nurofen (Ibuprofen) can work if the attack is headed off early enough, but won't touch it once it has taken hold. That's when the Colgout/Lengout tablets take over.

As someoen else said earlier, all of this can vary considerably from person to person, so what triggers me may not trigger someone else's gout, and what helps me may not help otehrs. Even the doctors have to use some guesswork in fnding each individual's best solutions.

• Informative/Useful 2

What an interesting thread. I suspect, like many, my current knowledge about gout is way out of date. So ed1234’s post was particularly informative. Thanks.

Evaluating pain in a patient is particularly difficult as it is such a subjective matter. A good friend of mine (a now retired GP) and I one evening - over a whisky or two - came up with the idea of the EPRS Scale (Expletive Pain Rating Scale): Going from O (Ouch!) to S (sh1t) in the middle and, at the severe end of the scale, OFGD (oh F*** I’m gonna die). Perhaps one of these days we will submit our pain rating scale to one of the learnéd medical journals like the BMJ or The Lancet.

On a slightly more serious note, my friend observed that in his practice very severe pain expressed itself – psychologically - in one of two ways: either fearing that one is going to die or hoping that one is going to die. In his opinion, the very worst pain that he has seen patients suffer from was in those very rare instances of a dissecting aortic aneurysm.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/01/2021 at 05:17, SRman said:

A female friend told me that kidney stones were as painful as childbirth ... however, I'm not sure she was entirely qualified to comment as she had never had children herself. :D

I had a kidney stone years ago, worse pain I ever had. Talking to a female colleague after the fact she said that her kidney stone was worse than childbirth, and she had several children!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1