The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Great race, good drive from Max he deserved the win. Lewis showed he is human, but with a bit of luck included did a great recovery drive. Lando is coming of age and showing good speed and lot more consistency. George has apoligised to Bottas, but the FIA consider it a racing incident and it was no worse a mistake than the infamous Hamilton/Rosberg, Vettel/Weber or Verstappen/Ricciardo clashes of recent years. Roll on Portugal. What was noticeable was on this old school track how awesumely quick the cars looked.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Bottas ‘left Russell nowhere to go’ in crash – Brawn.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/19/bottas-left-russell-nowhere-to-go-in-crash-brawn/

I'm glad someone has come out and described what I saw. Bottas was caught asleep and tried to defend too late. Had he indicated his intent to block earlier Russell could have gotten out of it but by the time Bottas did Russell was coming past or through him.

What surprised me was that DRS was enabled. I thought when it was first introduced it was disabled in the wet for just this reason. With the massive closing speed Russell had he didn't have much choice but to go past.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Andrew P said:

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/19/bottas-left-russell-nowhere-to-go-in-crash-brawn/

What race was he watching then? Certainly not F1.

Bottas was moving wide, but only following the racing line. This was easy to see at the time because it was the dry part of the track. The replays from Russell's car clearly showed Bottas on the dry section & not even at the edge of it. It also showed no sudden jerk/weave to the right from Bottas.

The racing line always goes wide before entering a corner because it is faster. They were approaching a left hand bend, so moving gently right is the normal approach.

Bottas left more than a car's width on the outside but it was a damp there. The fact it was damp & therefore slippery is not his problem.

Bottas was not being blue flagged so had no obligation to move over.

What does Brawn expect? Bottas to simply waved Russell past? That would be a good way to ensure you don't get a contract anywhere next year.

I get the feeling Russell is desperate to score his first point for Williams & there was a chance for him to do this on Sunday, so he would have been more keen than ever to do this.

I don't wish to criticise Russell for this either. In racing, a half-chance is sometimes the only chance you get & if you don't go for these, you won't get to F1.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

What surprised me was that DRS was enabled. I thought when it was first introduced it was disabled in the wet for just this reason. With the massive closing speed Russell had he didn't have much choice but to go past.

It is disabled in the wet. But wet obviously isn’t binary. Most (if not all) cars were on dry tyres by then, ergo it’s deemed ‘dry’. That doesn’t mean there are no damp patches on the track. Personally given how fast it snapped away I’m not sure it would have made much difference, full power + wet grass + turning = big moment!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have to say the press are making a big thing about Bottas vs Russell crash, I can't wait till they get to Portugal and the F1 websites have something else to focus on rather than every tweet/word from GR/VB....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I have to say the press are making a big thing about Bottas vs Russell crash, I can't wait till they get to Portugal and the F1 websites have something else to focus on rather than every tweet/word from GR/VB....

They are indeed - but should we be surprised? This is an in-house battle, as Toto's comments confirm - despite being apparently between two separate teams - and an in-house battle at the team everyone is hoping to see pegged back a bit, for the good of the sport. If, say, Giovinazzi had snagged Mazepin, the press would have had very little to say by comparison. Add in the performance of Russell in the Merc late last year, showing up Bottas on another of his off-days, and it is a sports-editor's dream. 

Anyway, all this football nonsense has diverted attention for a couple of days. I note Agnelli, the Juventus bloke who seems to have been the chief architect of the now-collapsed scheme, is of course from the Fiat family, who own Ferrari, and has been fined in the past, as were the club, for ticketing irregularities, in which mafioso connections were suspected but never proved......

• Like 3

On 19/04/2021 at 15:39, Andrew P said:

Of all the analysers of the Russell/Bottas crash, I find that Jolyon Parmer appears to get closer to the nub of the cause, with his comparison with the Hamilton/Norris overtake that happened later in the race. Where Lewis took all the track that Lando had allowed him, George permitted a large gap between his car and that of Valtteri.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A trip around the Miami Circuit, and to me it looks Soulless, as do a lot of the modern Tracks, unlike Spa, Imola and even Austin have something going for them.

https://fb.watch/51ChIvU9Xr/

Yes, they do have something going for them...hills.

I find flatter circuits like Silverstone, Monza & Paul Ricard less interesting.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull Powertrains hires Mercedes’ head of engineering to work on F1 power unit.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/23/red-bull-powertrains-hires-mercedes-head-of-engineering-to-work-on-f1-power-unit/

Let's hope they can transition the development from Honda quite smoothly.

When Honda re-entered F1 with McLaren, I believed they would catch up. They took about twice as long as I thought though.

• Agree 3

The Sprint Qualifying format in full

Friday

60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only.

Saturday

60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely

100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely.

Sunday

Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-sprint-qualifying-to-debut-at-three-grands-prix-in-2021-following.1v9LRuPpTk9JXpmE5xK4sK.html?fbclid=IwAR0flOhhlh8LxeZR0eVCNac2XcQlXV_NwYCsRZCKOhuVO-F298XphKE5Juo

• Like 2

IMHO a gimmick aimed at those that aren't able to sit down and watch an hour and a half race. Get taken out in the sprint race and have to start at the back for the main race. If you are in a Merc or RB that just means in around 10 laps of the main race you'll be back at the front and if in one of the other cars approx where you'd have been anyway. If something happens to LH or MV in the sprint race it will also ruin the main race as the survivor of the sprint race will be a country mile in the lead by the time the other has overtaken the rest. 

More than likely though is the starting grid of the main race will be even more predictable than it is now.

I believe the FIA will be paying for any damage etc but that's hardly keeping costs down. Not interested and an increasingly boring sport is becoming even less attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Gareth Collier said:

IMHO a gimmick aimed at those that aren't able to sit down and watch an hour and a half race. Get taken out in the sprint race and have to start at the back for the main race. If you are in a Merc or RB that just means in around 10 laps of the main race you'll be back at the front and if in one of the other cars approx where you'd have been anyway. If something happens to LH or MV in the sprint race it will also ruin the main race as the survivor of the sprint race will be a country mile in the lead by the time the other has overtaken the rest. 

More than likely though is the starting grid of the main race will be even more predictable than it is now.

I believe the FIA will be paying for any damage etc but that's hardly keeping costs down. Not interested and an increasingly boring sport is becoming even less attractive. 

Also damage from the Sprint race means more work for the already over stretched Mechanics.

Fail to finish in the Sprint race will ruin a complete championship. Imagine if Max and Lewis come together and one car is a write off, like Bottas was at Imola that is their Championship almost over at Half season.

I cant see many taking risks for just one place in the Sprint race, there would be little point as Point are only for the first 3 anyway.

MAD OR WHAT?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3