The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

I suppose that's fine for teams which have a spare 600 grand laying around.

But we believe only three teams will get anywhere near the budget cap, so it's just another unaffordable expense to the other seven. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hamilton quote about his mistake "I'm just grateful I could get going again and get back into the race."  "It's not how you fall. It's how you get up." That attitude has not hindered his success over the years. Overcoming problems is what champions do best. I think Schumacher showed this on some occasions. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

Fantastic start to the season frankly; two great races with plenty of excitement...

Ignoring the wee stooshie between Bottas and Russell, it is stirring to see McLaren  AND Williams both getting their mojos back as teams. Yes, Williams have a way to go yet but things are better - finally. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iak said:

Fantastic start to the season frankly; two great races with plenty of excitement...

Ignoring the wee stooshie between Bottas and Russell, it is stirring to see McLaren  AND Williams both getting their mojos back as teams. Yes, Williams have a way to go yet but things are better - finally. 

Indeed, George would not have been overtaking a healthy Merc in last year's Williams. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Hamilton’s charge was after the red flag when everyone got the option of car repairs & new tyres as far as I know. The McLarens swapped to the red ‘softs’ at that point whereas most went for mediums. I think it was Hamilton’s skills plus DRS versus slower Ferrari and a McLaren who’s tyres were fading. 

Bottas was his usual self when stuck in midfield - stuck.

Perez was doing his best to make the Gasly & Albon era seem normal & high performing.

I was thinking about this recently & looking at a few past results.

Ricciardo was quite consistent at RB. During this time, Verstappen was only occasionally outstanding but at other times, he disappeared well down the field at the same races where Ricciardo was searching for a podium.

Since Ricciardo moved to Renault, Verstappen has been much more consistent & his team-mates have struggled by comparison.

Could this be because the team has been re-organised to support their top driver? Or is it because Verstappen has simply improved? The change looks far too sudden to have been purely Verstappen's improvement.

The fact that Perez out-qualified Verstappen in Imola showed promise, but Verstappen claimed he had make a few mistakes. It will be interesting to see how Perez gets on this year. His first race was screwed up by a technical issue but he still fought back, but he had a bad day in Imola.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Could this be because the team has been re-organised to support their top driver? Or is it because Verstappen has simply improved? The change looks far too sudden to have been purely Verstappen's improvement.

I’d compare it to Lewis’ epiphany after the Rosberg championship. Max has finally realised that you need to look at the long game and while still likely to get pumped to the ‘max’ in the cockpit his mental preparedness is much better to bounce back and be ready for the next race. He’s finally realised that’s what became Lewis’ main weapon as he again demonstrated this weekend. The question is can he maintain it if things slide a bit? ;) 

• Like 7

Perez was in an unfamiliar car in challenging conditions. Many drivers were in the same boat of course and you also saw them spinning off the track more than others.

I think he'll do better later in the year when he's got more experience with his new Bull.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Perez was in an unfamiliar car in challenging conditions. Many drivers were in the same boat of course and you also saw them spinning off the track more than others.

I think he'll do better later in the year when he's got more experience with his new Bull.

Wet races always become unpredictable. All yesterday's incidents were down to rain, one way or the other. Perez's front-row start on softs should have given him an edge the damp track neutralised. As it was he was on Inters like most around him. No-one had driven a 2021 car on Inters. Perez will add a great deal more value in other races. 

I remain a bit stumped, though, by Lando being so much faster than Danny Ric. Perhaps it is just familiarity with and hence confidence in the car, as Andreas Seidl says. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

remain a bit stumped, though, by Lando being so much faster than Danny Ric. Perhaps it is just familiarity with and hence confidence in the car, as Andreas Seidl says. 

Daniel did a good interview on that,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But not In France!

;)  he basically sucked it up and said he’d had his chance to show pace and it was fair of the team to ask for Lando to overtake. They asked if it felt like a whole new formula after Carlos said that, Daniel laughed and said at the moment yes! He says if you ask me in three races time I’ll probably say no problem but at the moment he’s still learning to feel the car and get rid of his ‘bad habits’ from the Renault? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I was thinking about this recently & looking at a few past results.

Ricciardo was quite consistent at RB. During this time, Verstappen was only occasionally outstanding but at other times, he disappeared well down the field at the same races where Ricciardo was searching for a podium.

Since Ricciardo moved to Renault, Verstappen has been much more consistent & his team-mates have struggled by comparison.

The fact that Perez out-qualified Verstappen in Imola showed promise, but Verstappen claimed he had make a few mistakes. It will be interesting to see how Perez gets on this year. His first race was screwed up by a technical issue but he still fought back, but he had a bad day in Imola.

I'd say it is because Max has matured and has grown into being a driver, he was employed because he was fast, no-one doubted it but he needed race craft and his mental approach developing and what we are seeing now is a near complete package.

Watching races now I am conflicted, I want both Hamilton and Verstappen to win, and with Norris now maturing too there are plenty of people to support on the grid.  

Russell needs that Mercedes seat next year but he also needs to recognise he makes mistakes, he's not the only one, but the best drivers accept their mistakes and move on quickly - listening to Verstappen now when things go wrong, he takes it on the chin, moves on, Hamilton - reverses over the gravel as it's less risky than going forwards and Verstappen in the previous race - handing back to the lead to Hamilton.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

;)  he basically sucked it up and said he’d had his chance to show pace and it was fair of the team to ask for Lando to overtake. They asked if it felt like a whole new formula after Carlos said that, Daniel laughed and said at the moment yes! He says if you ask me in three races time I’ll probably say no problem but at the moment he’s still learning to feel the car and get rid of his ‘bad habits’ from the Renault? 

He seems to be quite honest about his own performance. He has proven himself at RB by out-performing Verstappen on several occasions.

By moving over for Norris, he allowed the team to get a much better result than if he had fought. He seemed to be more frustrated about being slower than he was about having to let Norris past, but had the self-confidence that he believe that this will not be the case in a few races time. From a team point of view, this is a nice attitude. He proved at Renault that he is capable of getting good results from a car once he has settled in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I think Daniel is confident he has the potential and proving he’s a team player when he feels it’s fair treatment. He knows he can ask the same now so as he didn’t have the pace today that was a smart tactical move for the future. While not quite the Lando & Carlos sitcom it has the potential to turn into a very strong pairing as Lando has said twice he’s getting good info from Daniel and he’s certainly pulled off a mature drive this weekend. Lando beat himself up about Saturday and that didn’t help but still managed to stay calm in the race so another who can unlock even more once he gets I’m his headspace right :) 

I doubt Daniel will get a world title but he certainly is good for the sport. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I'll be interested to see how far Norris & Russell go. Both look promising.

I was involved with amateur snooker for several years so saw some of today's professionals progress.

Those who looked the best back then are not necessarily those who we now see regularly on TV: They seem to plateau while others keep improving.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Two races in, 1 point splits the championship lead between the two most sensational drivers of the modern era, what more could you want? :)

Exactly. A 2-horse race is a lot better than the 1-horse race people infer from examining previous seasons' results. Having watched most of those races, though, as often as not Lewis and Merc had to dig themselves out of trouble or at least beat others on strategy. Simply having a great driver in the best car didn't deliver everything, although it helped. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well, I was expecting an exciting race, but not quite like that!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that had Mercedes not had a slight delay on Lewis's tyre change (4.0 sec against Valtteri's 2.2), Lewis would most likely have rejoined ahead of Max.  Contingency's a wonderful thing - doubtless he would have passed Russell on a drier stretch...

• Agree 5

It seemed like a one horse race because they pretty much always did manage to dig themselves out of trouble.

It was a bit like the old joke of football at old trafford - the game would continue until Manchester United had the result they wanted...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed, George would not have been overtaking a healthy Merc in last year's Williams. 

He knows he has the beating of Bottas in equal machinery. so why not try to do it with the williams. I can see him doing again very soon and pulling it off in style. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1