The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

33 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

George Russel beat, Seb, Fernando and Kimi, 3 Ex World Champions in a Car that is reportedly slower that all theirs.

Latifi is ahead of Alonso and Kimi, which would suggest that Williams might not be as dreadful as they have been of late.

And Mazepin hasn't yet shown any evidence that he's fit to drive an F1 car. It's early days, but it's not just his lack of speed that suggests he doesn't have what it takes. He might figure it out before the end of the season though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Been watching the C4 coverage of the Imola GP. Where did they find that pit lane reporter and the interviewer of the top three at the end? TV coverage is definitely on the downward slope.

Gutted for Lando. 

Better than last time out, Coulthard back in the box, and Alex whatshisname had calmed down, but yes, the pit line guy was awful. 

Mad session! Gutted for Lando, awesome lap though, given that ‘error’ probably gave him a few thousandths at most over a ‘legal’ lap it was clearly stellar. Tomorrow should be great!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Mad session! Gutted for Lando, awesome lap though, given that ‘error’ probably gave him a few thousandths at most over a ‘legal’ lap it was clearly stellar. Tomorrow should be great!

It does seem to make a difference .In lower formulas where track limits are rigorously enforced as a learning curve for   budding  F1 drivers  my son in law has noted that  some of his his drivers can pull off great qualy laps but nearly always  fall foul of the track limits .When they stay in track limits their laps arent as quick .They cant match the two up  .I suppose. it sorts out the s**t hot from the quick .The same accuracy of track position flat out also is needed in the race dicing millimeters from another car . .He has had many a rant telling them that if  they didnt keep track limits there is no point being on track  at all  as its a waste of team effort  ..Everyone hates the bloody things . But some keep on track and keep qualifying  top so it can be done .Poor old Lando, tongue tied and nervous. He is way out of his comfort zone .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1

Just popped by to say how impressed I was by this photo in the Guardian's piece about Imola qualifying:

spacer.png

Martin Brundle has famously asserted that F1 cars develop so much downforce that, flat out, you could drive one across the ceiling.  Well, it doesn't look as if HAM is hanging about but he's still got three if not all four wheels off the ground...

It reminds me of a large poster I used to have on my bedroom wall when I was a kid*, of Jackie Stewart at speed in his 1969 championship-winning Matra with all four wheels off the ground.  I think it was this photo:

spacer.png

I almost wish I still had that poster.  Mind you, that photo was taken at the Nurburgring where you were basically supposed to be airborne several times each lap - plus aero wasn't nearly as sophisticated as it is these days so downforce was lower.  On the other hand, they had more suspension travel back then so you did have to build up a fair bit of upward momentum before the tyres would actually part company with the tarmac.  I believe Sir Jackie once said something along the lines of: "If someone says they enjoy the Nurburgring either they're not going fast enough, or they're insane".  Then again, if you do a Google image search for "Jackie Stewart Nurburgring" an awful lot of the results seem to involve the car being airborne - which indeed might go some way to explaining his sentiments about the place.

* My bedroom curtains were decorated with the 1970 Le Mans-winning long tail Porsche 917 #23 in its red and white "go faster stripes" livery - one on each curtain - done rather impressively in appliqué by my Mum.  I almost wish I still had those curtains, too...

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, friscopete said:

It does seem to make a difference .In lower formulas where track limits are rigorously enforced as a learning curve for   budding  F1 drivers  my son in law has noted that  some of his his drivers can pull off great qualy laps but nearly always  fall foul of the track limits .When they stay in track limits their laps arent as quick .They cant match the two up  .I suppose. it sorts out the s**t hot from the quick .The same accuracy of track position flat out also is needed in the race dicing millimeters from another car . .He has had many a rant telling them that if  they didnt keep track limits there is no point being on track  at all  as its a waste of team effort  ..Everyone hates the bloody things . But some keep on track and keep qualifying  top so it can be done .Poor old Lando, tongue tied and nervous. He is way out of his comfort zone .

I think there are a couple of things at play there, and not just the actual advantage associated with exceeding track limits. Once you’ve had a lap deleted you’re much more likely to put in a ‘safe’ lap. Better 6th than aiming for 1st again and getting 10th. It was such a marginal transgression that clearly there was no meaningful advantage. Maybe a ‘better’ driver would have been 2” to the left, but we see all of the drivers fall foul of the rule, so I don’t really buy that. My point was more than Lando’s lap was genuinely fast, not fast because he cut some corners. No idea what you mean about being out of his comfort zone, he seems very happy where he is, outperforming a very highly regarded team mate in Ricciardo. 

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Just popped by to say how impressed I was by this photo in the Guardian's piece about Imola qualifying:

spacer.png

Martin Brundle has famously asserted that F1 cars develop so much downforce that, flat out, you could drive one across the ceiling.  Well, it doesn't look as if HAM is hanging about but he's still got three if not all four wheels off the ground..

One of the Ferraris achieved significantly more ‘air’ than that, but they were going very slowly, relatively, at that point. Ive no reason to believe they don’t generate downforce exceeding the weight of the car at high speeds (and could therefore notionally be driven upside down). Indeed figures around 1600kg of downforce are cited up to 15 years ago, and you’ve only got to look at cornering speeds to see how much that’s increased. Car minimum weights are 740kg, plus fuel and driver, but you’re still well under 1000kg, so it’s not even marginal. 

• Like 1

What we'll never know about Lando's lap is where he'd have been if he'd taken a line that didn't go slightly beyond the limit. The top 8 are so tightly packed that it might have been significant. Or it might not.

Good to see that Mercedes aren't running away with it, just in time for a new set of rules and someone else (or maybe them again) to get a big advantage that everyone else spends about 5 years trying to close.

• Like 2

I was pleased to see Perez qualify ahead of Verstappen.

It is not that I want to see Verstappen beaten but I was starting to think that since Ricciardo's departure, RB, may have become a 1-driver team.

The boot is on the other foot from the last race. With Bottas further back, the RBs have 2 cars high up which they may be able to use to force strategy on the lead Merc (I know this didn't actually happen in Bahrain but it was entirely possible).

• Agree 2

He is very comfortable in the car .Its just out of it .My grandaughter Lily is in love with him and going to marry him .She has met him several times and he even  turned his Mclaren round in the road to talk to her  and her Mum ..She is five ....

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Today gives us another chance to assess which new recruits - as distinct from rookies - have stepped up to their new plate. Sainz seems to be taking time to adjust to his new red toy, Danny Ric is certainly not showing Lando how it's done, while Perez had a lousy start to his Red Bull career yet managed to finish a brill fifth. Today he is on the front row. This could be epic. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Zomboid said:

And Mazepin hasn't yet shown any evidence that he's fit to drive an F1 car. It's early days, but it's not just his lack of speed that suggests he doesn't have what it takes. He might figure it out before the end of the season though.

Possibly after he's seen a fist come his way .     :sarcastic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, what an eventful race. 

That race had almost everything in it.  

Those watching on Channel 4 later, enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The start could be interesting as the conditions change.....

20 mins to go and puddles very visible. Anyone can win on such a day, I thought. It was spectacular, it was violent at times, it is well worth watching.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3