The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

This weekend's schedule has been adjusted as a mark of respect for the funeral of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Saturday's sessions are 1 hour earlier; Friday moves back 30 minutes

There will be a minute's silence ahead of qualifying

image.png.349b9f5ae1d9fe93237716eaf1251caf.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's interesting. They had announced all European races had been shifted back to a 1pm start British time (GMT/UTC +1), like they were until a couple of years ago, but this appears to not be the case.

1pm UTC is 2pm BST & most European races appear to be at this time. (British GP is 3pm though).

Works for me. I usually go out cycling on a Sunday morning. a 2pm start will give me a little more time for this. :D

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Russell urges consistent track limits solution to avoid ‘extreme, silly’ violations.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/14/russell-urges-consistent-track-limits-solution-to-avoid-extreme-silly-violations/

Well that completely rubbishes views I have heard that all drivers 'want to use more'. What they want is consistency. They would be happy to stay on track if they knew that anyone who went wide would be guaranteed an adequate penalty.

I have said for many years that the white lines mark the track & drivers should be penalised if they don't stay on it, but until recently many responded with 'don't be a spoiler, let them race'. Fine, but surely the track is the place for this?

Now it seems more are saying 'enforce track limits'.

The most ridiculous incident I saw was Alonso rushing out of the pits & driving along the grass verge to pass someone who was already on the track (I can't remember what track but the pit exit was straight & led onto a straight). The commentators stated that 'he was carrying too much speed so had to use the grass to avoid a collision. He was never required to give this place back.

It may be a shock to some, but the brake pedal is also the 'avoid danger' pedal.

What I find equally frustrating is a jump start being 'under investigation' after 6-8 laps. All cars & starting positions are monitored, so they know if an investigation is necessary before the car has got into 2nd gear. I can understand taking a while to actually investigate it, but it should be possible to raise the issue before the cars have arrived at the first turn.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Well that completely rubbishes views I have heard that all drivers 'want to use more'. What they want is consistency. They would be happy to stay on track if they knew that anyone who went wide would be guaranteed an adequate penalty.

I have said for many years that the white lines mark the track & drivers should be penalised if they don't stay on it, but until recently many responded with 'don't be a spoiler, let them race'. Fine, but surely the track is the place for this?

Now it seems more are saying 'enforce track limits'.

Actually I don't think that's what George is saying. I think he's saying "If drivers want to go beyond the white line, move the white line." Not sure I altogether agree with that approach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Actually I don't think that's what George is saying. I think he's saying "If drivers want to go beyond the white line, move the white line." Not sure I altogether agree with that approach.

A fair point, if track limits are defined by the white line, then where should the white line be placed?.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I guess he wants a career in track design after he finishes racing?

The tracks are defined by their boundaries. Drivers will always want to ease the corners as much as they are allowed to, in order to shave that 1/100 sec off. If you start moving lines, the drivers will push ever wider, until they find a limit when they are no longer allowed to do it.

• Agree 2