The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

16 hours ago, Hobby said:

I suppose we'll see in due course but I can't help feeling that it isn't the way forward, F1 racing is about long distance not short races, other formulas do that already.

The sprint races are an interesting idea, but they really need to be properly thought through before they try it, and there needs to be a commitment to getting the idea to work. If they're half heated then it'll definitely fail, and even if not then it might not be a real success.

Its more promising than the last time they mucked about with qualifying though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2021 at 21:50, newbryford said:

Given all the hype we are getting about all-electric cars and car ranges pushed onto us by the government and manufacturers, there  is an interesting comment buried in the article:

Many road-car manufacturers are interested in e-fuels as a solution for carbon-neutral power as there are limitations to the practical implementation of electric cars for all purposes.

A lot of people seem to bury their heads in the sand about the "practical implementation" and "all purposes" bit of moving away from ICE.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The article does state:

"Perez is also moving from the low-rake conceptualised RP20 to the high-raked RB16b. This will no doubt take some adjustment when fine-tuning set-ups, although the Mexican has run high-rake concepts previously."

It is probable that the drivers have very little input into the overall conceptual design of a race car. It is down to them to adapt their driving style to the cars idiocracies. This is the ability that separates the best from the rest.  

• Agree 3

I'm not sure about that - a team will often design a car to match the driving style of their lead driver, particularly if the driver has been with them for a number of years. So the Mercedes is almost certainly designed to Lewis's preferences, and I would imagine the Red Bull is to Max's.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, rocor said:

The article does state:

"Perez is also moving from the low-rake conceptualised RP20 to the high-raked RB16b. This will no doubt take some adjustment when fine-tuning set-ups, although the Mexican has run high-rake concepts previously."

It is probable that the drivers have very little input into the overall conceptual design of a race car. It is down to them to adapt their driving style to the cars idiocracies. This is the ability that separates the best from the rest.  

I also feel it is them justifying letting the driver who was beating daddy's boy go

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Perez is famous for treating his tyres better than almost anyone else. That tells me he is very attuned to the chassis's needs, and will readily adjust to the Red Bull design. I see him doing well with RB. 

• Agree 8

59 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure about that - a team will often design a car to match the driving style of their lead driver, particularly if the driver has been with them for a number of years. So the Mercedes is almost certainly designed to Lewis's preferences, and I would imagine the Red Bull is to Max's.

I get the impression that any driver on the grid would find the Mercedes a delight to drive. Max on the other hand regarding the driving characteristics of his Red Bull, less so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I also feel it is them justifying letting the driver who was beating daddy's boy go

What does that say, as to the team's evaluation of Seb's abilities?.

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, 57xx said:

Given all the hype we are getting about all-electric cars and car ranges pushed onto us by the government and manufacturers, there  is an interesting comment buried in the article:

A lot of people seem to bury their heads in the sand about the "practical implementation" and "all purposes" bit of moving away from ICE.

Just as there's more than one fuel available for internal combustion, there's more than just on board battery storage available as an alternative. I suspect battery EVs will eventually prove to be the best answer for the overwhelming majority of applications, but not all.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Jumping back to the Haas livery discussions a minute, I noticed the other day that this is the first Haas car not to have a US flag on the side near the cockpit.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

48 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Jumping back to the Haas livery discussions a minute, I noticed the other day that this is the first Haas car not to have a US flag on the side near the cockpit.

Jo

it's in the Russian Federation colours but still an American team, there is a bit of a furor at the moment as some believe this is an emblem of the Russian flag which is banned in sporting circles presently.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

it's in the Russian Federation colours but still an American team, there is a bit of a furor at the moment as some believe this is an emblem of the Russian flag which is banned in sporting circles presently.

The Red, White and Blue are uniquely almost uniquely the colours of the Russian flag. The only other countries that have adopted those colours are:

Australia

Cambodia

Chile

Costa Rica

Croatia

Cuba

Czech Republic

Dominican Republic

Fiji

France

Iceland

Laos

Liberia

Luxembourg

Nepal

Netherlands

New Zealand

North Korea

Norway

Panama

Paraguay

Samoa

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Thailand

United Kingdom

United States

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

49 minutes ago, rocor said:

The Red, White and Blue are uniquely almost uniquely the colours of the Russian flag. The only other countries that have adopted those colours are:

But apart from those 28 other countries......it's like the colours of the Russian flag :lol:

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

That may be down to the rumoured imminent change of ownership.

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

1 hour ago, rocor said:

Australia

Cambodia

Chile

Costa Rica

Croatia

Cuba

Czech Republic

Dominican Republic

Fiji

France

Iceland

Laos

Liberia

Luxembourg

Nepal

Netherlands

New Zealand

North Korea

Norway

Panama

Paraguay

Samoa

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Thailand

United Kingdom

United States

36 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But apart from those 28 other countries......it's like the colours of the Russian flag :lol:

I think what is relevant in this case is the order in which the colours are shown, especially on the front wing which actually looks like the flag.

• Agree 2

It is, if you look at a post I made I couple of pages ago you will see that Russia is the only current country with the colours in the order they are on the front fins with nothing else such as a symbol on the flag. That is why they are getting hot under the collar as those fins look just like a flag! 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160959-formula-1-2021/&do=findComment&comment=4349885

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I think what is relevant in this case is the order in which the colours are shown, especially on the front wing which actually looks like the flag.

Normally, you can't see the detail colours on F1 cars as they whizz past. I presume the Haas will be going a bit slower, so they can be seen.....?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5