The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

This piece on the BBC's website.

Red Bull have requested a review of the penalty awarded to Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton after his first-lap collision with Red Bull's Max Verstappen at the British Grand Prix

RB really need to be careful if they want to open this Pandora's Box.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Red Bull have requested a review of the penalty awarded to Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton after his first-lap collision with Red Bull's Max Verstappen at the British Grand Prix

Reminiscent of the actions of Ferrari against McLaren in the 1976 F1 championship - except that they don’t have a Jean-Marie Balestre to pull the strings for them.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Ok RB, well increase LH's penalty to 20 seconds so now lets have a retrospective look at all those questionable MV moves......

Sick to death of RB and CH's constant whining from MV is an angel on the track unlike LH and going back to Merc are ruining F1 by being so dominant forgetting how they dominated before Merc's rise.

And as for how they treat their drivers with the exception of MV......

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth; just when the season was hotting up into the contest that Red Bull were wanting for years (remember Mercedes winning every week is boring comments?), Red Bull realise that what they want is to march to the world championship. They must be very scared about the Mercedes upgrade because it looked like they were likely to stroll away with it anyway, certainly before Silverstone.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Ok RB, well increase LH's penalty to 20 seconds so now lets have a retrospective look at all those questionable MV moves......

Sick to death of RB and CH's constant whining from MV is an angel on the track unlike LH and going back to Merc are ruining F1 by being so dominant forgetting how they dominated before Merc's rise.

And as for how they treat their drivers with the exception of MV......

Likewise I’m sick of the whinging of RB & CH

Move on 

• Agree 6

MV = Hi Guys, there's a whining noise from the back of my Car.

Pit Wall, = we will check it out.

MV = Its still there, I can hear it through my helmet.

PW = O.K. Max, were looking into it.

MV = Its driving me mad.

PW = O.K. Max, it should have stopped now, Christian has gone to the loo.:haha:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I think Emmanuel Pirro, and other stewards, should be telling Masi bluntly that if their decision is going to be over-ridden, he can find himself a new set of stewards. Doubt my judgement, mister, and you are on your own.

What next, an online poll to decide drivers' guilt?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think Emmanuel Pirro, and other stewards, should be telling Masi bluntly that if their decision is going to be over-ridden, he can find himself a new set of stewards. Doubt my judgement, mister, and you are on your own.

The hearing on Thursday is only to assess whether RB actually have anything new to offer according to Mr Croft. If they do then it’ll be looked at but he said don’t expect a decision before this weekend if they do have to look further. 

2 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Maybe they are on their last chassis  before they lose grid pisitions

According to Honda this was the second power unit which seems to be the main concern as each is only expected to do 7-8 races, RB haven’t pulled the chassis excuse, sorry reason, out yet ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whether or not the racing penalty was appropriate for what happened, they ought to just leave it be.

With the cost cap and limit on power units though, that's an interesting one. If we accept the stewards view that Lewis was largely to blame, the result is that a crash caused by a rival could have implications well beyond the race in which it occurred. A 10 second penalty in one race doesn't seem proportionate if the result is not only ending Max's race, but forcing him to the back of the grid at a later one because the power unit involved can't be reused.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

55 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

They already do that, it's called social media!

5 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

If we accept the stewards view that Lewis was largely to blame

They didn't say that, they said he was slightly more to blame than Max, but that both were at fault. A ten second penalty is not the sort of penalty for someone who is "largely" to blame, that would be a race ban or grid penalty.

• Agree 3

Well that wasn't the point I was making anyway. Driver A was given a 10 second penalty for being more at fault than Driver B for an accident which not only ended Driver B's race, but because of the various rules applying to other aspects has the potential to ruin at least one more. That doesn't feel proportionate.

• Like 1

It was your choice of words.

The outcome of the incident isn't relevant, though, there's been plenty of very similar wheel bashing that has just resulted in someone going wide rather than being spun off. For it to have such an impact was purely fluke, nothing more. Max didn't have to turn in as he did, he could have just allowed the car to drift wide, he chose not to, that combined with Lewis refusing to back off resulted in the incident.

Sh*t happens, sometimes the drivers get away with it, sometimes they don't.

It's called motor racing.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

It was a racing incident, not a deliberate attempt to take another driver/car out of the race so the punishment was proportional. Had Max been able to continue with similar damage to Lewis he would likely as not suffer a similar penalty or indeed the same penalty.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 5

I would add that Max already has a "hard man" reputation forcing other drivers to back off rather than tangle with him, Lewis is going for another world title and decided it was time to call Max's bluff. Both now know how things stand, I await Hungary with interest...

• Agree 7