The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It seems to be asking a lot from teams to turn up & dial in the best setup after just 1 hour of running.

And guess what? Those teams with the most resources will make a better job than those more modestly-equipped. 

• Agree 5

Personally I think Russell's penalty was fair - Carlos left him a car park's worth of space yet George still understeered into him.

Anyway, I agree with what the BBC radio commentators said yesterday - very much not sold on the sprint format, and the only reason there was any entertainment yesterday was because there were 2 or 3 cars out of position.

On the other hand, it does make me excited for next year as the Q3 tyre rule will be gone in 2022.

• Like 1

From what I understand is the Friday 'qualifying' for the Saturday Sprint 'not a race' is to entertain the crowds and give them something to watch. If that's the case what are all the support races and F2 and F3 doing? Are they saying the crowd will only watch the F1 cars then get bored and wander off if lesser formulas are racing?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

What has George Russell got to do to get some luck.

Leading for Merc last year, and a cocked up Tyre Change.

Back out to re take the lead and a puncture.

Pipped by Alonso in Austria.

Plus a few other cases where he has had some dreadful luck.

Now a Grid penalty for what looked like  a racing incident at Silverstone when Qualifying 9th.

Some people seem to have all the good luck, and of course some get all the bad. If poor GR persists in attracting the gremlins, it may yet influence when/if he gets a proper contract to drive the Merc. Of course if he doesn't get the Merc seat next season, that would also seem to be more bad luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The disgusting tv intro with each driver required to adopt a humiliatingly aggressive pose, as if they were gladiators, really revolts me - these are small men with thick necks! 

Yeah it all feels a bit staged and naff, as do the ever increasing use of graphics superimposed over the TV feed. Not the boxes on screen, but the stuff with driver gaps etc floating over grandstands (which may be new this weekend?) and the CGI adverts added over the grass and catch fencing that don't move smoothly as the camera pans across.

And I don't get what the action movie theme tune they decided to introduce a few years back adds?

Oh for the late '90s - early 2000s coverage style!

Anyway, its formation lap o'clock now.

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What is it with C4 giving Christian Horner so much airtime during a race to express his opinions? 

"Lets go back to Christian Horner. Christian what do you think...?"

The place for that is either before or after the race.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Exciting enough for me - the hunt on LeClerc was brutal. Lewis and Max were always going to come together at some point, Lewis had a bit of luck to survive and have a penalty he good overcome, but that win was on the back of huge determination

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

What is it with C4 giving Christian Horner so much airtime during a race to express his opinions? 

"Lets go back to Christian Horner. Christian what do you think...?"

The place for that is either before or after the race.

Surely that’s just Christian keeping the attention on Red Bull’s name like a good marketing manager should….

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry but if someone is found at blame for an incident and is thus penalised, the penalty should be in proportion to the incident and it's result. Send someone into a 51G race ending crash and it demands more than 10 seconds. Pitch him into a spin off onto the tarmac and he recovers, 10 seconds seems fair.

If Lewis was found culpable by the stewards of a crash of that severity and thus penalised, there's no way in hell he should have been able to win. 

Just goes to show how even in the final year of the current formula Mercedes are head and shoulders above the rest, albeit with Red Bull on a par. I reckon the same result would've happened had it been reversed, and Verstappen stayed in with a penalty and Hamilton retired.

I'm not saying penalising Hamilton for that crash was right or wrong (racing incident anyone?), however I think the penalty rules need a shake up in my book.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Exciting enough for me - the hunt on LeClerc was brutal. Lewis and Max were always going to come together at some point, Lewis had a bit of luck to survive and have a penalty he good overcome, but that win was on the back of huge determination

We'll have to agree to disagree. The hunt was only required because of the 10 second penalty and it's not much of a hunt when one car is so much faster than the other. It wasn't will he catch and pass him but just how many laps from the end would it happen. If that was the highlight of the race then that doesn't say much for the current state of F1.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Personally think the penalty was harsh, 1st lap racing incident. Up until the crash brilliant racing. Looking back over the season Lewis has backed out twice when gone wheel to wheel with Max - he wasn’t going to that today at him home race.

Shame the wheel/gun got stuck in Lando’s pit stop he could have been on the podium.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1