The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Fast forwarded to the actual unveiling.  Good job the presenter kept saying wow because I certainly wasn’t…

Nice looking (the car) but it looks like a regular F1 car to me.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Fast forwarded to the actual unveiling.  Good job the presenter kept saying wow because I certainly wasn’t…

Cheers

Darius

I could see a lot of differences, like the front and back wings, and the floor sides were flatter I think. We will have to wait and see what the final Car looks like in Jan.

• Like 1

I reckon George Russell will be in the Mercedes next year. They have just been baiting him on the Sky F1 show and I think his grin gave it away. Heres hoping. 

Edited by didcot
  • Like 2

On 16/05/2021 at 16:44, EddieB said:

Of course there was the demonstration event around London's Regent Street in 2004.  Unfortunately, an appointment meant by the time I arrived, the crowds were already twenty deep.

I can well imagine holding it nowadays - cycle lanes, those wooden planter things, e-scooterists, climate change protestors with boats...

_RDP1E0404.jpg

i was there waiting for ages in a great spot when i got bleeped and had to go to work :(

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I think i

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I'd say it looks very different. Yes it's obviously an F1 car, but literally every part looks different...

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 22:08, Andrew P said:

F1 insider survey calls for better track action and switch to free-to-air TV.:good:

Don't get too hopeful about that. It carries no weight at all & you can get a survey to say what you want.

It is all about money & the sport will get the best deal it can.

Memo from Liberty Media to all teams:

"We have had to halve your prize money because we dropped our great TV coverage deal for one which pays significantly less. Sky were keen to renew but a survey said we should turn their money away."

Can you imagine that? Neither can I.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Memo from Liberty Media to all teams:

"We have had to halve your prize money because we dropped our great TV coverage deal for one which pays significantly less. Sky were keen to renew but a survey said we should turn their money away."

Can you imagine that? Neither can I.

TV rights are only part of the equation (albeit a big part).

Teams are also reliant on sponsorship income. The smaller the TV audience, the less the sponsorship is worth. For smaller teams, sponsorship may be more relevant than prize money.  We have seen a number of teams either struggling for sponsors in recent years or accepting sponsorship from very dubious sources.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

TV rights are only part of the equation (albeit a big part).

Teams are also reliant on sponsorship income. The smaller the TV audience, the less the sponsorship is worth. For smaller teams, sponsorship may be more relevant than prize money.  We have seen a number of teams either struggling for sponsors in recent years or accepting sponsorship from very dubious sources.

Rich Energy anyone?:laugh:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What a wonderful qualifying session!

Well done Lewis and Valtteri, and well done George!

Looking forward to an amazing, sunny weekend's live racing at Silverstone.

Covid? What Covid?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Yep George did an amazing job, and just 4 tenths away from Bottas, Lando was a bit lack lustre, but he might be set up in Race Trim and playing the long game.

Loving this new format so far, its made Fridays more exciting and I kept thinking it was Saturday whilst watching it.

Roll on tomorrow.:good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Interesting quali.

Russell in 8th was a great effort.

Both Hamilton & Verstappen looked like they were pushing hard. I don't often like the term "Giving 110%" but when you push a little beyond the limit & lost it in a slide then you are pushing beyond 100%.

I am not sure about the format though.

1 practice session before qualy then another before the sprint race in which time not setup changes can be made. What is that about? Teams usually use all 3 practice sessions to set up the car. Why isn't Driday used for FP1 & FP2 then Saturday for Qualy & the sprint race>

Will we see hard racing in the sprint race? Being forced off will see drivers drop a few places & have less chance of making the places back, especially as there are unlikely to be pit stops. I guess we will wait & see tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Interesting quali.

Russell in 8th was a great effort.

Both Hamilton & Verstappen looked like they were pushing hard. I don't often like the term "Giving 110%" but when you push a little beyond the limit & lost it in a slide then you are pushing beyond 100%.

I am not sure about the format though.

1 practice session before qualy then another before the sprint race in which time not setup changes can be made. What is that about? Teams usually use all 3 practice sessions to set up the car. Why isn't Driday used for FP1 & FP2 then Saturday for Qualy & the sprint race>

Will we see hard racing in the sprint race? Being forced off will see drivers drop a few places & have less chance of making the places back, especially as there are unlikely to be pit stops. I guess we will wait & see tomorrow.

Quali  generates "bums on seats". 

So having quali on Friday and sprint on Saturday is a win-win for ticket sales.

Money talks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Quali  generates "bums on seats". 

So having quali on Friday and sprint on Saturday is a win-win for ticket sales.

Money talks.

And by the looks of the weather forecast they will be very HOT seats today :laugh:

• Agree 1