The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Tennis and quasi-Hollywood seem to have been welcomed, though. I suspect the funding of the race being a hot political potato has helped the decision. I believe Oz has always been very restrictive on who and what can enter. You'd never think they have all that space....

I seemed to remember a while back that Australia welcomed the GP.

but

There would be no exceptions with quarantine, so everybody would have to arrive 14 days before the event & pay for this. With the amount of people within the teams & staff, this would have been a huge cost & can the sport afford to keep still for 14 days?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Tennis and quasi-Hollywood seem to have been welcomed, though. I suspect the funding of the race being a hot political potato has helped the decision. I believe Oz has always been very restrictive on who and what can enter. 

I don't think they were too particular in the early years.... ;-)

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I don't think they were too particular in the early years.... ;-)

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

It was a very select bunch in the early days of colonizing Australia, wasn't it?

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Perhaps selected rather than select?

We had a relative who was asked NICELY to go to Ozz.

It was that or be hung.:o

Cornish Goals were full of villains and misfits, now they have breed in Ozz.

Our relative was mentioned in Ned Kelly's Biography apparently, and was killed along with the man himself.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2021 at 10:41, PaulRhB said:

Partnering Lewis can be de-motivating though as Bottas fading and Nico jumping ship as soon as he had a title proved. 

The de-motivation came years before F1 for Nico. Him leaving was all about a childhood "vendetta" he had from karting days because he could never beat Lewis. Once he had beaten Lewis, Nico had settled his score and was off. Said to me he wasn't a racer at heart.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, 57xx said:

The de-motivation came years before F1 for Nico. Him leaving was all about a childhood "vendetta" he had from karting days because he could never beat Lewis. Once he had beaten Lewis, Nico had settled his score and was off. Said to me he wasn't a racer at heart.

One lucky year when the Mechanics were swapped over and Lewis had lots of reliability issues.

He knew deep down that he could never beat Lewis in a strait fight over the course of a full season.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

The Mazepins strike me as being the “Trumps” of F1.  All the money in the world can’t change your offspring from being talentless.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

To be fair I don't think the offspring is talentless, just out of his depth, having been put into too high a formula. 

Or maybe put into the formula too soon.

ISTR Max was somewhat of a rolling accident when he first came into F1, and Lance Stroll didn't exactly make himself popular at first either.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

To be fair I don't think the offspring is talentless, just out of his depth, having been put into too high a formula. 

OK that’s fair comment.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

I don't remember how Stroll handled things at first, but I get the feeling that this is the first time Mazepin has been in a situation where his father's money doesn't help much.

Stroll has, to his credit, developed into a driver who is good enough to be in an F1 car, if not a huge threat to win the title. Maybe Mazepin will do the same, but it'll probably take an attitude shift.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Several good points made, he’s not talentless as just to drive these cars is beyond most of us as a couple of tv presenters have shown. 
I think he’s at least been promoted too fast because of the money but then Perez was the ‘spoilt brat’ a few years back driving a bumper car and now look at him. 
Mazepin would be better just getting his head down and improving to answer it all rather than shouting about unfair. Stroll took a few years but is now a solid performer, I don’t think either will lift a title without a dominant car with Max, Charles, Carlos, Lando and George around. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Several good points made, he’s not talentless as just to drive these cars is beyond most of us as a couple of tv presenters have shown. 
I think he’s at least been promoted too fast because of the money but then Perez was the ‘spoilt brat’ a few years back driving a bumper car and now look at him. 
Mazepin would be better just getting his head down and improving to answer it all rather than shouting about unfair. Stroll took a few years but is now a solid performer, I don’t think either will lift a title without a dominant car with Max, Charles, Carlos, Lando and George around. 

And Romain Grosjean was the same, banging into everyone at one stage.

• Like 1