The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Ferrari re-enters the top class at Le Mans, known as Hypercars. This year's race, scheduled for late August, features more than a dozen Ferraris, but they are all 8-cylinder 488EVOs, i.e. a gussied up road car, as is required for that class. The glorious 12-cylinder prototypes are long gone. 

I was last there in 1970 when Dickie Atwood/Hans Herrmann won in a Porsche 917K.  They were also filming Le Mans featuring Steve McQueen - that was a long time ago. I have a picture, somewhere, of Mike Hailwoods Gulf 917 after it hit the wall.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

What's happening to Le Mans 2023?

As that fountain of knowledge Ian (Oldddudders,  and I am not being sarcastic Ian) has outlined so well Ferrari return to Le Mans as a works (or semi works perhaps) team. I think, perhaps, the budget cap on F1 perhaps releases funds for this project.

As Ian has said, they have not raced officially at Le Mans since the 917/512S/M period although I recall being at Le Mans in 1972 to watch Ferrari win with the 312PB, given they had won all the other sports car races that they entered that year, only to experience a Matra win because Ferrari did not enter! I suspect that if they had they would not have lasted, the 312 was a bit fragile.

The Ford - Ferrari battles of 1964-67 at Le Mans were titanic struggles. European complex (engine) technology and traditional chassis technology verses USA basic but big engine technology and advanced chassis engineering. Wonderful times - listening late at night on French radio to discover how the race was going. I still think that the Ferrari 330P4 was perhaps the most beautiful racing car ever built. I did see this car race at the BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch beating the 908/910 Porsche's but alas not the Chaparell that for once finished. I remeber well the 917/512 battles of the early 70's at the then BOAC 1000km race. My late brother and I didn't realise (who does) how privileged we were watching such events.

Why do I like and support Ferrari? Well, firstly they have always designed and built everything in their cars so as an engineer I admire that. (Please don't say that so do Mercedes - they bought Ilmore to achieve dominance) Secondly Italia.....

Kind regards and sorry to go on...

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

As that fountain of knowledge Ian (Oldddudders,  and I am not being sarcastic Ian) has outlined so well Ferrari return to Le Mans as a works (or semi works perhaps) team. I think, perhaps, the budget cap on F1 perhaps releases funds for this project.

Will it though? Or will the budget cap affect the "historic competitor" payment Ferrari get for just turning up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Why do I like and support Ferrari? Well, firstly they have always designed and built everything in their cars so as an engineer I admire that. (Please don't say that so do Mercedes - they bought Ilmore to achieve dominance) Secondly Italia.....

They also insist on Italian management which for an Italian team is surely a good thing, even though their most recent championships have come as a direct result of having a foreigner in charge.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Ah, so remove all moisture from the "air" in the tyres will reduce the amount the pressure increases due to increase in temperature - less water, less water vapour to be created.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

Ah, so remove all moisture from the "air" in the tyres will reduce the amount the pressure increases due to increase in temperature - less water, less water vapour to be created.

I thought they used nitrogen anyway?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I thought they used nitrogen anyway?

I would imagine so. There clearly is a water element to the gas though as Pirelli have stated that the moisture content cannot be altered.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Apart from  nothing, not a lot happened in FP2.:swoon:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54909927

Apart from that yellow kerb. My reading is that the Red Bulls are running a lower ride-height than others, they being the only cars I saw sparking round the lap. So they would suffer more damage if they stray out there. I hope the kerbs stay. 

• Agree 3