The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

38 minutes ago, rocor said:

A big pile of cash as recompense for the premature conclusion to his contract, may just make it so. 

And possibly a Bonus payment to Williams as well.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

They need to do it now if they want any chance of the constructors championship. RB have two very competitive drivers, Merc don't now.

I agree to a point , a lot could depend on how possible it is to adapt a car

mid-season for a new driver given the lengths George had to go to in

order to fit Lewis car , how much different is he size wise to Bottas .

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Good point, I think Bottas is shorter than Lewis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Red Bull seem to have no issues changing cars to fit different drivers mid season.

Last year, George was temping for one race so it made sense not to make major changes to the car.

• Agree 3

Just now, LNERandBR said:

Red Bull seem to have no issues changing cars to fit different drivers mid season.

Last year, George was temping for one race so it made sense not to make major changes to the car.

And it was at very short notice, something like 24 hours, so no chance to make new bits etc.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

Max V    is 1.86m or   6ft 1inch

Alex Albon  is 1.81m or 5tf  9inch

Pierre Gasley is 1.77m or 5ft  8 inch

Sergio Perez is 1.73 m or 5ft  6 inch

So the Red Bull replacements were all shorter than the lead driver .

George Russell  is 1.85 m or 6 ft and a smidge .

Lewis is 1.74m or 5 ft 7 inch

Valteri is 1.73m or 5ft 6 inch .

So George is 5 inches taller than Lewis and 6 inches taller than

Valterri , it's going  to be easier to fit a shorter driver into a car

than a taller one .

Also how much modification is allowed to a car in the areas that would

need changing once the monocoque has been  crash tested and

certified for the year .

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Okay apart from Max hasn't been replaced has he so the fact he's taller than the others is irrelevant.

Red Bull swapped Drivers mid season and planned to do so. Therefore they had plenty of time to carry out the required changes to fit the drivers into the car and Toro Rosso had plenty of time to do the same.

I don't think George even had a proper seat fitting for the Merc, he used one from a few years prior which didn't fit properly. The swap was that late.

I doubt anything would need to be changed that would require the new crash tests.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Okay apart from Max hasn't been replaced has he so the fact he's taller than the others is irrelevant.

Red Bull swapped Drivers mid season and planned to do so. Therefore they had plenty of time to carry out the required changes to fit the drivers into the car and Toro Rosso had plenty of time to do the same.

I don't think George even had a proper seat fitting for the Merc, he used one from a few years prior which didn't fit properly. The swap was that late.

I doubt anything would need to be changed that would require the new crash tests.

I was only pointing out the fact that it must be easier to put a shorter driver in a car

than a taller one , I certainly was not saying it cant be done , also these were just

thoughts about what is involved . For example, if they did decide to do a swap

it would have to be planned well in advance to allow any new or altered parts to

be produced , would George be allowed by Williams to attend for things like seat

fittings etc , could it even mean building up a new monocoque to save time at

changeover .

While it would be great to see George in the Merc ASAP I think it makes

sense to leave it till next season so that  all contractual stuff can be sorted

without a rush . And that of course was something that did'nt really affect

Red Bull as Torro Rosso and them are part and parcel , so if Marco said

we change drivers it happened .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IIRC the issue for George at Sakhir wasn't so much his height as the size of his feet - he had to wear boots a size smaller in order to get into the car!  Whilst that's bearable for one race weekend, it's not really sustainable for half a season, and to design a new nose with more footroom could have aerodynamic implications.

Of course it's possible that following Sakhir the Mercedes designers may have designed the car with George's big feet in mind, in which case I could understand VB being somewhat demoralised at the implication!

My expectation though is still that Toto will honour VB's contract to the end of the season barring VB doing something out of order (such as punching a team member or ramming another driver).

Another thought - Lewis would have signed his contract on the understanding that VB would be there for the season - could there be contract implications with Lewis if things change?

Certainly I think that were I Lewis, I'd be giving VB every bit of assistance I could to help him regain his form and keep his place in the team!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I feel this is a manufactured story, based upon what a lot of us are thinking and therefore happy to absorb as fact. It's how websites get more hits.

I'll believe it when it happens. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Max V    is 1.86m or   6ft 1inch

Alex Albon  is 1.81m or 5tf  9inch

Pierre Gasley is 1.77m or 5ft  8 inch

Sergio Perez is 1.73 m or 5ft  6 inch

So the Red Bull replacements were all shorter than the lead driver .

George Russell  is 1.85 m or 6 ft and a smidge .

Lewis is 1.74m or 5 ft 7 inch

Valteri is 1.73m or 5ft 6 inch .

So George is 5 inches taller than Lewis and 6 inches taller than

Valterri , it's going  to be easier to fit a shorter driver into a car

than a taller one .

Interesting information, but I think you need a new calculator. 

1.85m = 6' ¾", 1.81m = 5' 11¾", 1.77m = 5' 9¾", 1.74m = 5' 8½" and 1.73m = 5' 8". So George is only(?) 4¾" taller than Valtteri.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Much as I have loved Grand Prix - F1 racing over the last 55 or so years I do think it has got itself into a creek without a paddle in so many ways.

Roll on Le Mans 2023!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm afraid I feel this is a manufactured story, based upon what a lot of us are thinking and therefore happy to absorb as fact. It's how websites get more hits.

It seems many are deciding Bottas' future on the strength of 2 bad races; Imola & Baku.

He would have had 4 podiums in 6 races had his wheel nut not been machined. The other 3 were double podiums for Mercedes, so he has not done badly. 1-2 finishes are difficult when you don't have a significant pace advantage because you can only undercut the opposition with 1 car.

Mercedes have not been happy with their car all season. If he can get 2 more podiums in the next 3 races, 1 of them making a Merc 1-2, it would change matters completely.

Going back to last season, Turkey stands out as being a shocker. The same can be said for most of the field on that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It seems many are deciding Bottas' future on the strength of 2 bad races; Imola & Baku.

He would have had 4 podiums in 6 races had his wheel nut not been machined. The other 3 were double podiums for Mercedes, so he has not done badly. 1-2 finishes are difficult when you don't have a significant pace advantage because you can only undercut the opposition with 1 car.

Mercedes have not been happy with their car all season. If he can get 2 more podiums in the next 3 races, 1 of them making a Merc 1-2, it would change matters completely.

Going back to last season, Turkey stands out as being a shocker. The same can be said for most of the field on that day.

He's simply out of contract as is Russell, it's about excuses not to renew his contract even though for several years now it's been open knowledge he would be replaced by Mercedes protege George Russell.  But perhaps the issue is Hamilton not Bottas, they need to sell to Hamilton the idea of a competitive partner and they do so by rubbishing Bottas, that Bottas is a threat to the team's success and the team need Russell, for Hamilton personally, the status quo is fine.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

He's simply out of contract as is Russell, it's about excuses not to renew his contract even though for several years now it's been open knowledge he would be replaced by Mercedes protege George Russell.  But perhaps the issue is Hamilton not Bottas, they need to sell to Hamilton the idea of a competitive partner and they do so by rubbishing Bottas, that Bottas is a threat to the team's success and the team need Russell, for Hamilton personally, the status quo is fine.

Hamilton is not that far off from retiring, two maybe three years IMHO. Russell is up there in the list of possible replacements.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

What's happening to Le Mans 2023?

Ferrari re-enters the top class at Le Mans, known as Hypercars. This year's race, scheduled for late August, features more than a dozen Ferraris, but they are all 8-cylinder 488EVOs, i.e. a gussied up road car, as is required for that class. The glorious 12-cylinder prototypes are long gone. 

Ferrari hasn't really hit the spot in the top class since 1967, when the 330P4 was a worthy runner up to the Ford GT Mk IV. Ferrari won overall every year from 1960-65. The 512S and 512M of 1970/71 were simply not a match for the Porsche 917, and having to build 25 of them to qualify stretched resources, so the F1 effort became more diluted. Evidently in 2021 that is no longer a problem and campaigning on multiple fronts is now seen as achievable. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The 512S and 512M of 1970/71 were simply not a match for the Porsche 917, and having to build 25 of them to qualify stretched resources

Something that Porsche kind of, er, found a way round...allegedly:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Similar story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57476106

The take home from this is that the teams are finding ways to keep the tyre pressure from rising when the cars are racing which improves cornering, but weakens the tyre as it is not within operating parameters.

Floppy wings, soft tyres, what next?

Pirelli tyres are fantastic...

But you are not supposed to race on them...

Hat, coat etc.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Similar story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57476106

The take home from this is that the teams are finding ways to keep the tyre pressure from rising when the cars are racing which improves cornering, but weakens the tyre as it is not within operating parameters.

Floppy wings, soft tyres, what next?

cars21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Especially since at least one article I read on the subject said that Toto Wolf had told George's management that George would be replacing VB. 

Toto is George's management.... 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Especially since at least one article I read on the subject said that Toto Wolf had told George's management that George would be replacing VB. 

Toto is George's management.... 

And Bottas' too.

Internal memo from Toto to Toto

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5