The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

FP2

13:15

Post update = BBC

Hearing some team radio and once again it's Nikita Mazepin upsetting someone, with Carlos Sainz saying he deliberately blocked him off.

NEW

Posted at 13:1813:18

'Mazepin making himself an enemy'

Jolyon Palmer

Former Renault driver on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra

Nikita Mazepin is making himself an enemy to so many drivers as he doesn't seem to have respect for a lot of the other drivers out there.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Is Leclerc trying to hard now that Carlos is showing real pace?

'On a very fast lap' Into the Wall.

Jolyon Palmer

Huge lock-up on the front right, Leclerc was on a very fast lap, but he was carrying too much speed and nudged it in nose first, but I think the suspension may be OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

So the FIA are changing the changes to the rules, which previously they had stated would come into effect on the 15th June. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, rocor said:

So the FIA are changing the changes to the rules, which previously they had stated would come into effect on the 15th June. 

They might just be measuring today to SPOT the difference.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

So, what has gone wrong?

NEW = BBC Live.

Posted at 14:0614:06

A day to forget for Mercedes

Session one

7. Lewis Hamilton +0.709

10. Valtteri Bottas +1.707

Session two

11. Lewis Hamilton +1.041

16. Valtteri Bottas +2.069

A lot of work to do for the reigning champions.

Going backwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

FP2

13:15

Post update = BBC

Hearing some team radio and once again it's Nikita Mazepin upsetting someone, with Carlos Sainz saying he deliberately blocked him off.

NEW

Posted at 13:1813:18

'Mazepin making himself an enemy'

Jolyon Palmer

Nikita Mazepin is making himself an enemy to so many drivers as he doesn't seem to have respect for a lot of the other drivers out there.

Mazepin blocked Max in P1 as well, Anthony Davidson made quite an interesting point that I hadn’t though about, how much of the blame needs to go to the pit wall/chief engineer? can he actually see much in the mirrors, is he looking? But the pit wall should also be helping him as they will know what’s going on with the cars around him.

• Agree 2

With regards to mirrors, I've often thought there should be a screen somewhere in the cockpit (or possibly inside the halo) directly connected to the rear-facing TV camera so that the drivers can see precisely what's behind them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

image.png.3a54fa09fae70d321cc774e9be0d805b.png

The Singapore Formula One Grand Prix has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Friday organisers of the race confirmed this year's event, slated for Oct. 3, would not take place. Last year's event was also cancelled due to the pandemic.

According to the BBC, F1 is weighing up several options as replacements for this year, including Turkey, China or a second race at Austin's Circuit of the Americas, which is already hosting the U.S. Grand Prix on Oct. 24.

Turkey was briefly on the calendar as replacement for the Canadian GP this month, but it had to cancel that event due to the pandemic. The Chinese GP postponed its 2021 event due to the pandemic. Both hoped a race at the tail-end of 2021 would be possible if circumstances change.

Colin Syn, deputy chairman of the Singapore GP, said the decision had not been taken lightly.

"We understand that our fans were looking forward to another edition of the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix," he said. "To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore.

"We would not be able to deliver a full event experience fans have come to expect over the years, while safeguarding the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and staff. Ultimately, we have to be responsible, cautious and prudent as safety is our number one concern."

Edited by Andrew P
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

With regards to mirrors, I've often thought there should be a screen somewhere in the cockpit (or possibly inside the halo) directly connected to the rear-facing TV camera so that the drivers can see precisely what's behind them.

I still don't understand why F1 Cars need OUTSIDE mirrors. A small camera mounted either side of the bodywork, and a monitor screen inside the cockpit would work I would have thought.

• Like 1

I think outside mirrors are needed to be able to see a car coming alongside. However there's a blindspot behind the car (no rear view mirror) hence my suggestion of a screen linked to the rear camera.

To replace the outside mirrors with cameras as well would require three screens (or the driver to switch between them).

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I think outside mirrors are needed to be able to see a car coming alongside. However there's a blindspot behind the car (no rear view mirror) hence my suggestion of a screen linked to the rear camera.

To replace the outside mirrors with cameras as well would require three screens (or the driver to switch between them).

I see what you mean, I was already just thinking of two screens, one each side and a wide angle lens about where the current mirrors are now.

5 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Many trucks and buses have such a setup,  modern Mercedes tractor units have no outside mirrors, just 2 projections at the top of the cab with screens inside so it can be done 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I don't see why three screens would be an issue (so long as they weren't too big). we road-car drivers cope OK with three mirrors.

There's no reason why the screens for the side cameras couldn't be built into dummy mirror casings, with just an in-cockpit screen for the extra one. However, the need for an undistorted view might mean there would be little advantage over the existing mirrors.   

John

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If mirrors are replaced by cameras would the video screens show a mirror image? Its sometimes feels strange when on Zoom looking at my image unaltered and the image moves in the opposite way to what I expected. On Zoom there is a 'mirror image' option so hopefully this will be available on any vehicle based system (preferably as the default). 

• Like 1