The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

Maybe remove the chicane at the tunnel exit, that used to be one of the overtaking points that the current cars clearly cannot make now as no-one attempted it.

Remove the chicane and let them race down that part of the course, it creates a proper DRS zone and lights up the race.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe remove the chicane at the tunnel exit, that used to be one of the overtaking points that the current cars clearly cannot make now as no-one attempted it.

Remove the chicane and let them race down that part of the course, it creates a proper DRS zone and lights up the race.

Just what me and SWMBO said last night. It's a contrivance at best anyway, hence the only place where track limits apply.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Or how about turning left along Rue Du Portier all the way to the beach and back - nice long drag for overtakes, another hairpin, big long drag back to the tunnel, there's scope to drop a couple of chicanes in if speeds get too high ...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

There's a difference between being 'involved', and having your opinions listened to and the suggested actions being taken.  From the HAM comment in this article it sounds very much as if the latter didn't happen: "There will be some tough discussions with my engineers tonight or maybe after the weekend,” he said. “There are things that should have been done and haven’t been done. It is frustrating, it is what it is. I can’t really say too much because we deal with this as a team and I don’t want to be critical of the team but behind closed doors I will be. We have to work harder."

Regarding the tyre strategy for the race - and allowing that it's difficult to know the full context from snippets of radio conversation reported online - HAM's comment reported at 14:46 here"I dunno, guys. I saved the tyres to go longer and we stopped before everyone," suggests that the tyre strategy was changed on the fly, and he didn't understand why.

(Others will no doubt say that he was just whingeing "as usual".  As they are free to do, of course.)

Well he isn't known for being a good loser, which is one of the things that's made him so great, but does tend to show up when bad weekends happen.

He's also not got an especially good record at Monaco, by his standards. Bottas would have been on the podium were it not for the pit stop catastrophe, so it's not like the car was hopelessly outclassed. Lewis just couldn't get it done on this occasion, and that's on him - it's not like he'd have won if they'd done the strategy differently.

• Agree 4

21 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You could tailor the rules to suit Monaco: banning wings & reducing engines to 0.6L 

The only way you'd get overtaking at Monaco would be to reduce the width of the cars.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I do think their is an opportunity to do something different with Monaco. It is virtually un-raceable with the current F1 cars so why not bin it off then  turn the event into the end of season party, no points available but you get £2m increase in your prize money/budget cap for the winning team. Create a few different events with points available:

- 1 car on track at a time, fastest car around a lap earns 5 points, only top 5 earn points (2nd gets 4, 3rd 3 etc)

- 10 lap sprint race starting in reverse order - 5 points to the winner, top 5 only (as above)

- Pit stop challenge - Both drivers from the team have to change a front wheel each on a car at same time - 5 points for the fastest driver, 10 points to the fastest team (both drivers times added together)

Yes it is contrived fun/ away from the DNA but then so is continuing with this procession. If I want to see a train of cars going slowly through a nice city backdrop, stuck in traffic, not able to overtake then I can just go into Bath.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, didcot said:

Max Mosley did have short history of driving in the higher levels of open wheel formula racing before he went on to form March Engineering with his three partners in 1969.

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/max-mosley/

• Informative/Useful 2

That's a ludicrous idea, but something along those lines might have some merit. Some kind of F1 based party event to take advantage of the things that Monaco is good for, whilst forgetting the "race" itself couldn't be any less entertaining than the actual race.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In some of the videos I've seen now you can see the shards of metal flying off as the wheel gun ground the nut away.

Kind of feels silly it should be the nut that is made of the weaker metal. If the gun's teeth had been stripped they'd been able to just swap guns. 

Not sure if they'd end up with more issues with stripped guns though :unsure:

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

In some of the videos I've seen now you can see the shards of metal flying off as the wheel gun ground the nut away.

Kind of feels silly it should be the nut that is made of the weaker metal. If the gun's teeth had been stripped they'd been able to just swap guns. 

Not sure if they'd end up with more issues with stripped guns though :unsure:

It may be that they feel this was a 1-off & unlikely to happen again.

but

Red Bull have consistently been faster in pit stops & are the only team so far to get a car moving again in less than 2s.

Surely it is easier to find 0.5s in a pit stop than it is to find the same in track time over a lap?

Other teams need to catch up. If they don't, they will lose a position at some point.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

ISTR there used to be a pit-stop challenge, at which Williams excelled. Covid may have stopped that last season and this. It is easy to imagine that practising pit-stops is 'free' at the factory, but no doubt the circs are unrepresentative of a race, since the metal is all stone cold and clean and there is no pressure. Few of us would want to be in their shoes, I suspect. 

• Agree 5

33 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Red Bull have consistently been faster in pit stops & are the only team so far to get a car moving again in less than 2s.

Surely it is easier to find 0.5s in a pit stop than it is to find the same in track time over a lap?

A quick search shows Ferrari have done a sub 2 sec one as well...

As regards times, a driver can easily lose half a second in a lap with a slight misjudgement so perhaps it's not normally so important. It's only important if the driver can't overtake the one in front (Monaco!) and so they are trying the undercut to get ahead, even then it's risky as things can go wrong on cool tyres...

It's all part of the race strategy, I'd suggest that the timing of when the pit stop takes place is far more important than the half second or so difference on the stop itself as Merc and RB have proved over the years...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

A quick search shows Ferrari have done a sub 2 sec one as well...

As regards times, a driver can easily lose half a second in a lap with a slight misjudgement so perhaps it's not normally so important. It's only important if the driver can't overtake the one in front (Monaco!) and so they are trying the undercut to get ahead, even then it's risky as things can go wrong on cool tyres...

It's all part of the race strategy, I'd suggest that the timing of when the pit stop takes place is far more important than the half second or so difference on the stop itself as Merc and RB have proved over the years...

And, as Lewis was reminded last weekend, it's not just the timing of your own pit stop that matters....

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

One knackered wheel nut.

nut2.JPG.06200c01889ee94978eb8ec9ba6782f9.JPG

I have now found that I keep singing this to the tune of "Guantanamera".

• Funny 6